PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with my modded BIOS? (killed my comp)

bungee
12-29-2004, 08:27 PM
Hi!
Since I have a problem with my RAM that freezes my BIOS each time I push them too far, why not modding a BIOS that has my settings by default insteat of always having to reset them? That's what I done: I took BitPower 1.36B modded BIOS for MSI K8N Neo2 plat. that was already running great on my system and changed some default settings like enabling SATA3&4 RAID, disabling AGP Fast write, disabling NV/ATI speed up in modbin6.

So nothing too extreme was done and when flashing my version, the "successful" flash turned into nightmare: no more booting. No BIOS screen... I need a new BIOS chip except if you have any idea of how I could recover from this...

What could I have done wrong? :confused:

Minnyboy
12-29-2004, 08:32 PM
If you got a friend who has the same or similar board, you could try hotflash it back to it's original state.

That's what I did with my old IC7-G & IC7-MAX3. Used my IC7-G to hotflash my Max3.

Other than that, I say buy a new bios chip or get yourself a bios saviour.

Cheers,
Minnyboy

LostInSpace278
12-30-2004, 09:10 AM
If your going to dabble in modding bios's and trying them out, I would suggest a Bios Savior (http://www.frozencpu.com/scan/se=Electronics/se=IOSS%20BIOS%20Savior/mp=menu_search.html)

bungee
12-30-2004, 12:32 PM
I have a spare BIOS from Gigabyte. They had dual BIOS at that time and this board is dead (old KT400 board). They seem to have the same size as the one I have, but it's Phoenix BIOSes. I would like to give them a try, but they are soldered on the board instead of having some kind of socket. Is there a way to unstick it?

I also have a working nForce 2 system still from Gigabyte with the same BIOS chip soldered. Maybe I could hot flash my MSI BIOS on it if there is a safe way to destick the BIOS...?

jjcom
12-31-2004, 10:48 PM
nope, can't unsolder it. :( just talk to a friend or something, they might have a board you could borrow to do this

jjcom

beau_zo_brehm
01-01-2005, 06:27 PM
Did you reset the cmos after you did this?

twiggy
01-01-2005, 07:40 PM
If you cant find anyone to flash it then you could just hit up Jason over at EOC. http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/showthread.php?t=147564

[XC] moddolicous
01-02-2005, 04:17 AM
You could try taking the clear cmos jumper off the motherboard. Not sure if that will work. Like others said, you could try to hot flash it.