PDA

View Full Version : AV8 dead after bad bios flash

annoncompgeek
12-28-2004, 08:52 PM
I foolishly tried to flash my bios from within windows and the computer rebooted halfway through. Now at boot it beeps and gives me an unrecognized code on the led display and will never fully POST. I tried to flash a working bios onto the boards bios chip but it wouldnt load onto the chip correctly. What would be the easiest way to fix the problem?

agenda2005
12-28-2004, 09:01 PM
www.biosman.com

Kanavit
12-29-2004, 11:29 AM
this happened to me too. i fried my A8V bios flashing to 1008 from 1006. 1008 doens't recognize newcastles but winchesters.

Skip
12-29-2004, 02:28 PM
do you possibly have another computer that uses the same bios chip? if you do you could hotflash it.

Lvcoyote
01-01-2005, 08:56 AM
Can you boot from a floppy?? If so then use a utility called DrDos to prepare the floppy, then extract the BIOS file to the floppy. Boot from the floppy and once at the A: prompt, type awdflash /f it will ask you for the name of the bios file which should be av8_17.bin or something close to that.

Lvcoyote

annoncompgeek
01-04-2005, 09:17 AM
the system doesnt finish post so flashing from a floppy is a nonstarter. Ive got a motherboard that the dead bios chip fits into perfectly. from the outside both chips are identical but in reality the av8 has a 512k rom chip and my biostar nforce 2 mb has only a 256k rom chip. when i try to hotflash the dead bios it never gets written too and awdflash just sits there saying its flash when nothings happening.

i wish i could just get this rig to work :( i only got to play with it for a day before the bad flash occured and i hadnt even gotten my new ram yet. Can someone run the hotflash procedure by me just in case i am missing out on something i should be doing ? Do i need to rename the av8's bios to that of one of my motherboards native bios updates?

EmoAddict15
04-17-2005, 05:44 AM
Abit actually sells bios chips preflashed with the latest bios all you have to do is pay for the shipping.

Rukee
04-18-2005, 02:26 AM
cost is $25.00, I just bought one.
After recieveing the working chip, I was able to hot flash the one that was bad and now that system has two working BIOS chips. Just a matter of pulling the BIOS chip out after the computer is running, insert the bad chip, and flash using the windows based program.

babyelf
04-19-2005, 10:32 PM
tried resitting everything?

my ram got loose and i got the beeping sound.. worked ok after i resit everything