PDA

View Full Version : Smart fan II issues

Brandon
11-15-2002, 07:42 PM
while I was out shopping this morning I slipped by the cpu and case fans and picked myself up a Smart fan II and I decided to use the adjustable knob to control the speed, however twisting the knob does nothing. Could anyone tell me how to make it work? or am I just screwed with this high pitched beast! Thanks

Brandon :toast:

Brandon
11-16-2002, 11:23 AM
So no ideas how to fix it???? :confused:

seversphere
11-17-2002, 03:23 AM
I would check that the wires are not broken anywhere. Any chance yours happens to be wired wrong? Last thing after checking would be to replace the potentiometer/knob thingy or get an exchange.

WinXP
11-17-2002, 10:21 PM
I just got one of these smart fan 2 an with it came a small rheostat (adjustable knob) an thermal probe. If you look at the connectors on the fan, the small one has a blue jumper on it. That is where the thermal probe attaches, the other connector for rheostat. You have to connect the thermal probe before the adjustable knob will adjust the fan speed. With the blue jumper in place it only run at full speed.

Paladin
11-20-2002, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by Brandon
while I was out shopping this morning I slipped by the cpu and case fans and picked myself up a Smart fan II and I decided to use the adjustable knob to control the speed, however twisting the knob does nothing. Could anyone tell me how to make it work? or am I just screwed with this high pitched beast! Thanks

I played with mine some before finally setting it up in thermal control mode. Manual mode worked fine with no jumper and no sensor connected to it, just the variable resistor. Also, MBM5 and AsusProbe report it spinning up to 5300. 500rpm higher than claimed max. I use headphones -- doubt I could hear regular speakers over the jet noise coming out of my case. :p

The Volcano9 and it are doing a good job though. At the moment with F@H running, cpu core 1.84V, 2400+@2225, room temp about 80F, CPU temp is 93F. :D

KnightElite
11-20-2002, 05:18 PM
In order to set up manual mode for the smart fan II, you have to attach the rheostat to the set of pins without the jumper, and open the jumper.

Justintoxicated
11-21-2002, 12:24 PM
I just got mine with coolmod but i have not tried the adjustable knob...Im jsut letting it run full for now since i will be ordering a rheostat very soon...The coolmod is ok< but im going to mod my coolmod to make it cooler..

Justintoxicated
12-03-2002, 10:48 AM
my knob works great :)

Definately turned it down some since having it at full blast makes only a 1 C difference