PDA

View Full Version : MSMSGS.exe in Processes is driving me nuts, it won't go away.

Kunaak
12-26-2004, 09:10 PM
I hate all this crap that microsoft just invades your PC with.
I uninstall microsoft messenger. sign into my hotmail, next thing I know, microsoft messenger is reinstalled.

now I can't get it off my laptop no matter what I do.
even the old editing the sysoc file trick doesn't work anymore.

I end this process, then I can watch it for ten seconds and it comes right back.

its taking 12 megs of my ram to run this damn thing, and I don't even want it on my laptop, especially when I need every meg for such simple things, like trying to watch a DVD without it occassionally pausing.

how can I get the service to die, once and for all?

masterofpuppets
12-26-2004, 09:15 PM
Goto services and find the process there. Disable the service.

Kunaak
12-26-2004, 09:40 PM
if there is something related to MSN Messenger, in administrative tools>services, I don't see it.

all I see is "messenger" but thats always been disabled.
but thats not MSN messenger, those are the grew boxs that people message each other over the internet with, once they have your ISP address.
it's usually junk mailers that use that.

if theres another service in services I need to disable, I don't see it...

sjohnson
12-26-2004, 10:50 PM
http://www.updatexp.com/disable-messenger-msn.html (registry editing required)

or

http://www.help2go.com/article135.html (system file sysoc.inf editing required)

texuspete00
12-27-2004, 06:48 AM
It's really not that hard to kill, and I know you are a smart guy so.... you sure you don't have a worm or any spyware. I've seen them run disguised as that. I mean, I just turned it off in the options menu in the messenger program and also maybe in msconfig->startup or services (can't remember which). I think the more complicated web instruction are for removing the component altogether, not just preventing it from running. I also gather in post SP1 installs, it is no longer hidden for removal in the "Add/Remove Windows Components" section of your control panel. It doesnt devilishly put itself back in my experience. I killed this... and I DID NOT do anything special. Except on my dad's infected comp.

d]g[ts
01-04-2005, 01:59 PM
I've killed it off a few different ways. First I used to close it, then rename it. then windows would not find it or open it again.
Second Is to goto "set program and access defaults". In add remove programs. select custom, and hit dropdown. then at bottom is says Choose default instant messaging program. and there i remove access to MSN messenger. But not uninstall it.
Third is if ya use a different messenger. Install AIM/yahoo/whatever IM ya wanna use. In the options to it dissable all the startup crap. and when ya start it and it checks to see if it the default one tell it no. and none are defaulted then.

After any of the Above you should be able to read any mail programs without a messenger service chewing up resources.

gkirilov
01-28-2005, 06:27 AM
Just another idea.
Start->Run: msconfig
Go to the last tab.
Find it and uncheck it.