PDA

View Full Version : Swiftech MCX462+ VS SLK-800

Justintoxicated
11-15-2002, 03:43 PM
Ok i just bought the Swiftech MCX 462+ (not U) because i got talked into it...The cost was 48$ ...I realize that i should have gone with the SLK-800 for 35$ because even if the swiftech is better it would not be worth 13$ more...Anyways what do you all think of the new swiftech HS? My only complaints about the SLK-800 is that you can move it around even after it has been wattached (twist it slide it ect with a little force)...

So im building a new system, thus my reasons for these posts. Im giving one of them to my sister and keeping one for myself. Anyone tried the new swiftech 462+ model? If so how does it hold up against the SLK-800? Im hoping that my 13$ is not a complete wast, but if it is i will hand my new HS (Swiftech) over to my sister and keep the SLK-800...I will test it myself eventually unless the answer is so obvious that there is no real need to test it.

Justintoxicated
11-16-2002, 01:38 PM
no1 has tried this? looks like im going to have to find out for myself...

Kurrurrin
11-16-2002, 03:01 PM
What are your system specs and temps like with that heatsink? Or do you not know yet? Because I have an SLK-800 and if your specs are close, I'll happily report my temps for you as a reference :)

Justintoxicated
11-16-2002, 04:27 PM
right now im using the SLK-800 on my 1600+ agoia 02/13-Y @ 1830 MHZ

at night when its cool, and after the case has reached its maximum temps (takes about an hour) my temps are 22C NB 41-42C CPU...of coarse im not regulating ambient, but it seems to be at these temps every night while idle...under full load its harder to say since the temp varies more depending which loop rpime 95 is running...Im currently sing the SLK-800 with a 52 CFM fan...

im going to test both HS with both the 52 CFM fan and my new smartfan2 with coolmod as soon as it gets here :) ill happily post some pics of the new HS and let you guys know how it works...

Do yu think 4 mount holes is a + or a minus? I mean most water blocks use 4 mount holes also dont they? The clip things seems like it will be more "future" oriented ..or will it? but hte base of the Swiftech seems more "future" oriented because it is so large it should fit on anything...

Kurrurrin
11-16-2002, 04:47 PM
For me, late night here under full load i'm hitting a mere 36 deg. C according to ASUS probe. I know its not known to be that accurate, but I do have the latest version out, as well as latest bios, so it can't be that off. Thats with the SLK-800 and an 80mm panaflo on it. My vcore is 1.85, btw. Full load in the middle of the day, I top out at 42 deg. C. Bear in mind, it is getting to be chilly here, but we haven't gotten extremely cold temps yet.

And I don't know what to say about the clips vs. holes issue. All I know is that I sliced open my thumb on one of those fins when my screwdriver slipped (ouch :eek: ). Well, at least you know they are thin ;)

Justintoxicated
11-16-2002, 04:52 PM
yea im using the on-die diod on the epox 8k3a+, and i have installed the thing numerous times witht he same rusult..how much CFm are you pushing on that HS? Everyones temps have always been better than mine have...

Then again i dont know what processor you using or how much it is overclocked..your V-core is higher but only by .025V

Mine is stable @ 1.825Volts

Kurrurrin
11-16-2002, 05:29 PM
Its in my sig ;)

And I'm sure you checked to make sure you put it on right, right? Not shifted to the side too far?

And that fan is pushing 46.9cfm.

Justintoxicated
11-16-2002, 05:59 PM
yea the difference is that im overlocked 200 MHZ more than you are, When i run my CPU that low the temps also drop significantly, even without changing the voltage...

So it sounds about right to me :)

Yea i put it on PERFECT :toast: (which IMO is hard to do on the SLK-800 because it likes to slide to one side or the other while your clipping it) Found you have to center without letting it touch the CPU before you start to clip it, then u have be very careful while clipping it to avoid any twisting or further sliding :)

Kurrurrin
11-16-2002, 06:07 PM
It would be higher if i could easily get a hold of some conductive paint or a conductive pen :( But thats as high as my FSB (161mhz) will go before hitting blue screens. And that heatsink is a bit hard to line up, but it sure is worth it. And my thumb has healed completely ;). All in all, worth the pain.

Be sure to post those temps you get with the swiftech.:banana:

fireandsmoke
11-16-2002, 09:17 PM
where did you guys get your slk-800's??
f&s

Kurrurrin
11-16-2002, 09:19 PM
newegg.com

great delivery time :) and the price was reasonable too. thats where i bought my entire rig, actually :D

fireandsmoke
11-16-2002, 09:28 PM
Recent test review said slk-800 SEVERAL degrees cooler than Swifty 462...go for it!!!!
f&s

Justintoxicated
11-16-2002, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by fireandsmoke
Recent test review said slk-800 SEVERAL degrees cooler than Swifty 462...go for it!!!!
f&s

Which review are you looking at? I sceen only 1 review where they said the slk-800 was better, and they used a forumla instead of keeping the temperatures consistant...Both of the other reviews i read said the swiftech MCX 462+ was better...can you point me to the link where you got the info? i very interested...

There are a few versions of the 462 I hope your looking at the + version as it is brand new..

The best place to get the SLK-800 is www.heatsinkstore.com they have it for 34$ a VERY good price...they also just recieved their first shipment of the Swiftech 462+ today

fireandsmoke
11-16-2002, 10:34 PM
Juzstin,
http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MzE3LDE=
Its at [H]...sorry it's not the + model. I'd go with the slk800 with a nasty Vantec Tornado and put the fan on a speed controller so you can crank it way down when yuz just surfin.
f&s

dRmAC447
11-17-2002, 12:12 AM
The SK-7 is a great alternative to the SLK-800. The base is wider,(Less tipping), and the cooling capacity is just about as good, with the same fan setup. Check HSF comparisons (http://www.overclockers.com/articles373/) This is from Overclockers.com.

Sorry to throw another spanner in the works, but the SK-7 is only $25 at SVCompucycle.com.

To answer your question, however; I'd Keep the Swiftech and give the SLK-800 to my sister, (not really, she has trouble plugging in a hair dryer (my sister, I mean)). I believe that the one (Swiftech) you have does not require you to remove the MB each time you want to change/check the CPU, because of the revised mounting system, as opposed to the older MC462's. Unless she's into popping the HSF on and off on a regular basis..the three prong clip on the SLK is a bit stiff (requires a screwdriver)..she should be fine for a goodly time, if you're being paternal. However, if you decide to change from the Swiftech, you'll have to remove the MB, to remove the mounting system, before you can install your new cooling system, and as I think about it, perhaps you should install the Swiftech for your sister, as it's more permanent. Problems, problems.

The Swiftech should hold it's resale value better, and the Thermalrights are much harder to clean, and also much more fragile, than the MCX, if that helps.

You're getting into trying to decide to whether keep your Ferarri or your Porsche. Relax and enjoy things a bit.

Have fun

Justintoxicated
11-17-2002, 11:42 AM
SK7 is not an option :)
as for the swiftech 462+, i believe you still have to remove the Mb to take it out, but not to install it.. .The improved mounting systems makes it so that you no longer have to glue anything or worry about stripping anything out...Im not too woried about removing the MB to install it since i should not have to do it often and it really does not take a very long time for me to do it AND i have dont this a million times now :)

It arrives monday so i will check it out then....Im also going to probably check out a 1700+ tbred and decide which to keep 1700+ tbred or my 1600+ agoia 0213-Y...Since i dont have to pay anything to check out the 1700...besides that the next CPU i will buy will be a barton after they come down in price..

SupaMan
11-17-2002, 02:52 PM
wahts the diff between a + and a -U? other than $1 at newegg :)

Justintoxicated
11-17-2002, 05:25 PM
the + has a wider base than the U, it has a better mounting mechanism and more pins in the top...

Justintoxicated
11-17-2002, 07:50 PM
ok so far the slk-800 seems to always be at 43-44C on this CPU when the NM is at 22C ..52 CFM fan

Every time i let it idle at night i get this temp...So i will compair it too the Swiftech with the same fan and thermal compound AS3..I will run Prime 95 on burn in the compund faster...i know im not compleatly percise about the ambient temps, but the case temp always seems to be the same or at least my temps are consistant with the SLK-800..I seem to ALWAYS get these temps unless it is warm in my room...but i will make sure to keep the tests as consistant as possible...

calikev
11-18-2002, 01:26 AM
you should get better results with the thermalright... BUT i prefer the quality and build of the swiftech.. i have had original swiftechs.. mc462, and a mcx462... along with a bunch of alphas.. i can trully say that the swiftech is well worth the money.. just pick the sucker up.. weighs a TON.. thank goodness for there killer mounting system... BTW.. whie you have your motherboard out you might as well cut a hole on your motherboard tray to get easy access to the screws..

SVC kicks ass... planning to go there in a couple days.. need a case and a couple cold cathodes..

Justintoxicated
11-18-2002, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by calikev
you should get better results with the thermalright... BUT i prefer the quality and build of the swiftech.. i have had original swiftechs.. mc462, and a mcx462... along with a bunch of alphas.. i can trully say that the swiftech is well worth the money.. just pick the sucker up.. weighs a TON.. thank goodness for there killer mounting system... BTW.. whie you have your motherboard out you might as well cut a hole on your motherboard tray to get easy access to the screws..

SVC kicks ass... planning to go there in a couple days.. need a case and a couple cold cathodes..

Good idea, if i have the time i will do it! hope i can fix my dremel :)

Justintoxicated
11-20-2002, 10:17 AM
Ok where the hell is my Shipment! it said 2-3 days and its been a week!

Justintoxicated
11-21-2002, 12:26 PM
ok i may not be getting my swiftch 462+ for quite some time now...So much for getting somethign right when it comes out....

Seems USPS lost my HS and even worse my 256 megs of PC3200 Xtreme DDR...Im not sure what to do at this point as it says that the package was delivered, but i dont think anyone ever delivered it?

Justintoxicated
11-22-2002, 03:26 PM
Well i found out where it is, lost or stolen...looks liek im going to have to pay for the missing HS and 256megs of DDR, since the post office has it marked as being delivered...And i never recieved it, they say they are not responsible..

Anyways now im contemplating on just picking up an SK7 instead to help comepnsate for my 150$ loss..

Justintoxicated
12-02-2002, 11:34 PM
ok so i decided to re-order the swiftech and dispute the payment on my credit card for the old one.

i got my swiftech HS and memory today in the mail (the new order)..here are some pics.

http://members.cox.net/justintoxicated/swiftech462+.jpg

http://members.cox.net/justintoxicated/swiftech462+2.jpg

the thing weighs a frickin TON, much heavier than teh SLK-800, i think it would break the MB socket right off if it used a clip...Can't wait to se how it preforms

KnightElite
12-02-2002, 11:57 PM
I can guarantee you that the torque would rip the socket off. Very nice looking heatsink. I really can't say that anyone beats Swiftech in terms of quality.

calikev
12-02-2002, 11:58 PM
The overall quality kicks ars... most definitely my favorite heatsink on the market.. let us know how it performs.. im assuming a palomino core???

Justintoxicated
12-03-2002, 10:41 AM
yea ill be testing it on my palamono core 1600+ agoia 02/13-Y at 1.825V

Right now with a smartfan2 at maximum and an SLK-800 the lowest temp i have hit is 41C...Weird thing is that getting lower temps than 42C starts warming up the NB HS on my epox (which has ben replaced with a zalman. So theres not much point in getting lower temperatures than 42C because it raises the temp on my NB (i think the hot air blowing off the SLK-800 is blowing right over the NB.

temps with SLK-800 are
20/43
21/42
22/41
depending on fan speed.

So ill be testing it on the same CPU to see differences, then im going to pop in an 1800+ tbred and see what this thing can really do :) Wont get to testing untill this wekend.