PDA

View Full Version : How's this idea look? (first post)

PsychoActive
11-15-2002, 02:18 PM
This is my first time here, so hi all!

I'm wanting to get more out of my current Gainward GF4 128Mb. Right now it's running 320/580 with watercooling. Here's a pic:

http://forums.xfactorclan.com/attachments/GF4_after.jpg

I'm thinking of volt-modding it, but stopping there just doesn't sound like much fun. I have a couple peltiers lying around here (an 80W and a 111W) and was thinking of throwing one of them in the mix. I have experience with peltier-cooling cpu's (old Celery 533 a few years back), but I'm not really sure about video cards. Would the 111W be overkill (it would have a dedicated ps)? I figure with a v-mod it would run a bit hotter, but I have no idea what range the wattage would fall at. I made that waterblock myself... do you think it would handle the extra peltier heat comfortably (all-copper)?

Other random questions:

- For any of you that have v-modded your cards, has the card died after a time, or are they relatively tolerant of the extra V with appropriate cooling (and is the core more accepting than the ram)?

- I'm thinking of using a coating of Vaseline on the board to ward off the evil condensation spirits if I decide on the peltier. Anyone know if the petrolium in it could damage or corrode any components?

Thanks for any input you may have, and for pointing out anything I might be overlooking.

Btw, here's my ghetto-box, though I've since taken out the northbridge block and added a blue cathode... and those connectors on the back of the case direct water to about 40ft of copper tubing in a window fan to take advantage of the sub-freezing air outside:

http://forums.xfactorclan.com/attachments/PIC00020.jpg

Emericana
11-15-2002, 08:27 PM
it looks uhh.... GhettoFabulous!:thumbsup:

serioulsy i really like ghetto mods tho very nice esp if you get good temps

sorry i dont have any answers to your questiosn just wanted to comment on your setup

DDTUNG
11-15-2002, 08:39 PM
Welcome to Xtreme!

Your 111W? pelt might do the job, though I used a 156W myself.

Just make sure you don't use more voltage than your cooling can handle, and I suggest using dielectric grease, foam, and silicone for insulation against condensation.

DDTUNG:cool:

PsychoActive
11-16-2002, 12:49 PM
Thanks for the input.

BTW, how much heat does a card like this put out after a voltage mod (estimated wattage)? Given the small heatsinks that they generally use I would guess an unmodded GF4 doesn't put out all that much. Mine ran really hot for a while, then I noticed the water-block wasn't making good contact (damn NVidia concave GPU's), but that was fixed with some lapping. Some people in the overclockers.com forums had recommended an 80W peltier to another person, but that seems a bit low.

As far as condensation prevention, how hard is dielectric grease to clean off, if I ever need to do so? Insulating the actual cooling element is the easy part, but I suspect the back of the card will get some condensation when the card isn't being pushed... that's where I'll probably apply the grease, since foam would inhibit the airflow to the ramsinks.

BrokenGods
11-22-2002, 11:29 PM
although ghetto, probably very effective! Kudos.

Fewture
11-27-2002, 01:49 PM
You need a vmod to get higher. Cooling doesn't do mucht for GF4's without extra voltage.

The pictures show real tweakin' spirit :toast: