PDA

View Full Version : 5 ?s about mosfet sinks/adhesive Help please

reject
12-22-2004, 10:59 PM
1.to put on sinks with silver adhesive you dont need to do that stuff with the 2.silicone on the legs of FETs do ya?
3.and how long before i can use my board, 2 hours?
4.and will a sink the size of a 1/4 bga do a good job on a small mosfet of that size? i cut my bga sinks in 1/4s and 1/2s, cause my mosfets are all differnet sizes and close together
5.does the vcore PLL need a sink? i dont think it gets too hot but this is a common one to do, it will fit a bga sink so i can use the tape thats already on - right?
sorry this sounds very nooby but im sleepy

reject
12-23-2004, 08:52 AM
ok i sinked em all
my PWM Ic temp is no differnet
did i put 1 on badly? i mixed in as5 so they would be removable
if you use the adhesive when its a little bit tacky is it still good? it came out fast and i didnt want to waste so i might have gone a little over time
measuring temps i get some are 30c and some are 50c and in between, from the bare FETs i touched they never felt that hot. does that mean the sinks are making good contact or that they are insulating the FETs?

iddqd
12-23-2004, 10:35 PM
The way I do it is a dab of AS5 in the middle, and 4 dots of crazy glue, or epoxy on the corners. That way it's a thermally effecient, strong bond that can be broken (without the chips coming off), if needed.

reject
12-24-2004, 03:44 AM
yeh ill do that next time
i think i might need to take em off cuase my pwm ic temp is 43 folding, but my case temp is 3c hotter than yesterday. an before i got 38 pwm