PDA

View Full Version : compressors

|PuNiSh3R|
11-15-2002, 10:22 AM
Lots of people here running around wanting to build their own systems and 90% of you are newbs.. just like I was.. and everyone else was at one time..

A word of wise.. you go out looking for a compressor and find one that is cheap.. you think .. cheap.. great.. lets buy..

Ok the reason I am putting this post up is to tell everyone to STAY AWAY FROM EMBROCO COMPRESSORS!!

Why? They use a PLASTIC piston in their compressors.. yes.. PLASTIC.. that is stupid.. very stupid.. don't buy their garbage you will regret it 100000000000000000000x over.

I didn't buy one.. But yesterday at my usual appliance place that I go to for compressors and I saw one and they informed me of the Embroco §§§§ty-ness.

Charles Wirth
11-15-2002, 11:49 AM
Thanks for the heads up, you get what you pay for and embroco is the cheapest.

aenigma
11-15-2002, 01:47 PM
Interesting.I believe Embroco is an italian compressor, they took over some other compressor, Vespa or something.Don't quote me on that, because I can't remember. :)

This is why I don't buy compressors, I get quality compressors.Used copelands :)

|PuNiSh3R|
11-15-2002, 02:09 PM
copelands are good.. it's almost impossible to find used tecumseh's or danfoss.. I don't even care about danfoss.. if i bought a NEW compressor it would be a tecumseh or copeland.. danfoss makes garbage VDC compressors that can toss my salad..

Btw, I was just at the refrigeration supply house that I go to most of the time for my goods.. They have these brazing rods that are mucho good.. 56% silver I believe.. and a low melting temp.. even propane could melt them.. Covered in an orange flux.. i'll get the name next time.. I only buy 1 stick at a time.. they are $4.60 each stick.. heh they are pretty long tho.. and that's discount price.. either way.. they do aluminum to steel.. steel to copper.. whatever.. they are so F'in awesome.. I use them to do the brass fittings in my copper evap blocks n they work great..

Aenigma.. you would like to know this I'm sure..

You know those bernzomatic copper phospherus brazing rods you buy at like lowes or whatever.. 3 of them in a pack for like 3-4 bux? Heh.. I searched at my supply places and finally today I found 1 tube of these.. under a bunch of silver brazing rods.. anyway.. I got 28 of them in a tube.. 4x the quantity in each rod than the bernzomatic ones.. for 8 bux.. :)

God.. Nothing better than going to a REAL MANS refrigeration supply house for getting your §§§§.. That is why I tell you all to go in and say you are a college student or whatever.. you get a semi-descent discount.. and they have it all.. once you get into phase change good and start becoming more than the average joe shmoe.. you learn the tricks of the trade and start saving serious dollars over the retail bull§§§§.. work becomes easier and goes smoother and quicker.. looks better.. etc.. I'm lovin it!

|PuNiSh3R|
11-15-2002, 02:12 PM
If anyone wants.. I could pick a tube of these copper phospherus brazing rods up for them and ship to you.. say.. 10 bux n 3 for shipping.. 13 bux for i think it's 28.. i gotta count em.. but either way.. you are paying like nothing for each rod and each rod is like 18" long and 1/16" thick.. you could do a whole system with half a rod or less if you are expirenced.. depending how much you braze.. if you braze every connection.. only take half a rod.. I use a lot of flare fittings though.. so I barely touch them other than to braze the water-blocks together to use as evap blocks.

aenigma
11-15-2002, 02:49 PM
Those steel to copper and aluminum to copper etc. rods sound cool, but expensive.I don't use bernzomatic rods, I use Sil-Flo silver/copper brazing rods, and I get a bag of them.
I use them to braze brass fittings too, works good when you do it right.That maze1 melted fitting was my fault....

I also made an evaporator block(tired of that damn maze3) and brazed it all up using the rods.Had to use mapp gas, propane wouldn't cut it.

Oh yeah, I have a used Tecumseh.Only about 20 maybe 30 years old too, bigger than my 3/4hp copelands and it is only 1/6hp :)

|PuNiSh3R|
11-15-2002, 07:48 PM
haha.. I use my grill to braze blocks on and I've had blocks red hot with just propane and my original torch.. i mean glowing.. mainly thin blocks though.. can't do like maze2 or anything like that with propane.. either way.. i use propane to get the temp up and then mapp to do the actual brazing.. it's nice having 2 torches.. just prop the one up with bricks n walk away..

Yea the "special" rods are good.. expensive but they can go quite a distants ... just gotta get more expirenced with them.

libertate
11-18-2002, 05:50 PM
I recently pulled a Matsu§§§§a R22 compressor out of a window
unit... I'm planning on using it in a interim waterchiller setup...

is Matu§§§§a any good?

Edit-haha, the name got sensored, you can probably fill in the
blanks though..... :D

aenigma
11-18-2002, 06:14 PM
Yeah of course it is good, 99% of them are good :)