PDA

View Full Version : temps..

|PuNiSh3R|
11-14-2002, 04:42 PM
err..

Digi doc sucks arse at cold temps.. this is a given..

I am trying to get an on-die (well.. as close as possible.. like you can with the digi doc.. except.. IT SUCKS AT COLD TEMPS!)
temp reading..

My asus board reads high.. plus it's this tiny temp probe and besides.. it's covered with a 1/4" thick piece of neoprene and silicon sealant.. so it's virtually useless.

I need to get a temp reading of the core with my direct die system.. I am measuring the temp now at the suction line.. 2" above the outlet of the block.. and it's reading -20F.. using a digital temp probe I got from radio shack..

Anyway. I am running a 1.2ghz Tbird at 1566mhz all by the multiplier on my asus a7v266-e. It's 133FSB x 11.5 multiplier.. Highest this CPU will go.. I once saw 1600mhz.. but when I came out of bios it wouldn't boot at that again.. and I can only do 1.85v on this board.. thinking of doing the volt mod.. anywho.. with -20F on the suction line.. and running the low side at 0PSI.. My propane should be boiling at something like -40F.. which means the block is something like.. -40F.. heh.. so I'm guessing my core is like.. -25F at the least.. It's well below -4F I think.. which is what I need.. -20C under full load..

Anywho.. The only person to actually KNOW the answer to this question will probably be aenigma.. this is just pissing me off anyway.. I tried to rig the temp probe from radio shack with a thin digi doc temp probe.. but the thing doesn't work.. it always readings 125F and up.. it won't give me the correct temp reading at all..

aenigma
11-14-2002, 06:59 PM
:)
Well thermometers definately aren't my thing, I am in the same boat.My socket probe isn't covered though, so it works...kind of.
I have an XP, but my motherboard doesn't read on die temps.
Pull the insulation out of your socket, the socket temp probe will give you a good estimate at least.

By the way, get some pics of your new system...

|PuNiSh3R|
11-14-2002, 10:45 PM
I will this weekend probably.. i work this friday afternoon/night and sunday morning/late afternoon.. so saturday is my only free day and i am probably spending it re-doing our bathroom floor.. sanding small amounts of asbesto's! YAY! and using a floor putty to level ยงยงยงยง out.. laying down ply-wood.. then tiles.. joy..

|PuNiSh3R|
11-15-2002, 09:55 AM
Ok.. this is gonna be good for 2 cool tek..

http://2cooltek.safeshopper.com/8/163.htm?987

Compu Nurse.. I just ordered 2.. -40C and it has the CPU style probe.. YAY! just what the phase change user needs.. Now I can finally get GOOD readings. 2 Cool Tek is the cheapest place I've found them.. good shipping price too..

aenigma
11-15-2002, 01:37 PM
Oh is that all you wanted, well dam I thought you wanted a good one that didn't stop at a wimpy -40c.That temp probe needs to go down another 60c.Then it would be perfect!

|PuNiSh3R|
11-15-2002, 07:51 PM
you pretty much gotta build your own if you want -100C and the CPU style flat probe .. -40C is good enough for me now.. considering that is as low as I will need for atleast the next month.. till I build a dual compressor system.. 1/3 n 1/2HP.. or 1/4 n 1/3..

aenigma
11-15-2002, 09:40 PM
Yeah I would like a temp probe(doesn't have to be flat) that reads to at least -100c to measure my block temp.But they are a bit too spendy.

|PuNiSh3R|
11-15-2002, 11:35 PM
well if you are going to get a temp probe that goes that low .. might as well get an infra-red that does it.. they are sweet.. i am intending to buy one some time by next summer..

aenigma
11-16-2002, 02:03 PM
They don't go that low, and they suck.I wan't something I put in my insulation permanently, I don't want to peel insulation away to get the temps.And I don't want to calibrate it and stuff.

|PuNiSh3R|
11-17-2002, 03:20 PM
I am having a hard time insulating the suction line and evap.. everything gets so damn cold it takes mounds and mounds of insulation.. grrr!

aenigma
11-17-2002, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by |PuNiSh3R|
I am having a hard time insulating the suction line and evap.. everything gets so damn cold it takes mounds and mounds of insulation.. grrr!

:confused:
Well I have seen the way you insulate :p
As far as the suction line goes, that is very easy to insulate.Just use pipe insulation.Don't just pile up bunch of insulation....
I use 2 layers of insulation tape on my block....

|PuNiSh3R|
11-17-2002, 07:08 PM
Um.. dude.. i ain't that dumb.. i got this 1/4" pipe insulation i put on the suction line.. which i then duct taped down.. then i put over that a 3/4" THICK ASS pipe insulation piece.. which has the sticky seal together glue.. and the outter insulation was still dropping below ambient
under that 3/4" pipe insulation it was dropping to -10C and kept going but i turned the system off at -10C

aenigma
11-17-2002, 07:49 PM
Well your suction line isn't that cold, so your doing something wrong.I use one piece of pipe insulation and it is fine.Maybe your duct taping it too tight, the tighter it is the less it insulates.
From the way you worded it, I thought you were just wrapping foam around your hose, and yes it has been done before....

|PuNiSh3R|
11-17-2002, 09:51 PM
I did make the duct tape pretty tight.. so maybe.. idk.. i am re-doing it tomorrow