PDA

View Full Version : Dell Precision Workstation 650 -- sweet!

tekXT
12-19-2004, 12:54 PM
I recently go ahold of a Dell Precision Workstation 650

- Intel Xeon 2.0GHz 533MHz FSB
- 1GB of RDRAM or DDR SDRAM I'm not even sure...
- ATI Fire GL 8800
- SCSI PCI Adapter (dont know what for)
- 48X CD-R/RW Burner
- 80GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.2 ATA Hard-Drive connected to an SCSI converter... that connects to the Dell mobo via regular IDE cable... hmm

Anyways... I would like to know what the best drivers for this video card are? Omega's or ATI Catalyst?

Anything else I should know about this system? Its a heavy :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana: and seems to pack a lot of power and those Dell cases are cute:D

Its a temporary system for my dad because my rig is down due to mobo RMA, so Im using his rig... when I get my main rig back up he's takin his system back and I wanna figure out what to do with the server then.

I'm gonna have multiple OS partitions on this baby too... thinkin about maybe running a CS server or something

Any advice/tips are welcome, thanks guys :toast:

Bloody_Sorcerer
12-21-2004, 10:08 AM
omega has workstation drivers?

masterofpuppets
12-22-2004, 07:35 AM
Anything that is dell automaticly sucks...

Now, SiliconeGraphics workstations are nice, visually and performance-wise.

jjcom
12-22-2004, 01:16 PM
Anything that is dell automaticly sucks...

Now, SiliconeGraphics workstations are nice, visually and performance-wise.
My friend would consider you his hero because you hate Dell lol :D

Anyway, I would use the ATi drivers for that card. I've got an idea, have it fold for D2OL. But yeah, it'd work great as a server...I'm trying to remember what kind of vid card that is but maybe play a game or two for server

jjcom

Kobalt
12-23-2004, 05:06 PM
DELL CASES CUTE?

tekXT
12-24-2004, 08:35 AM
Master of Puppets - I paid nothing for this system... picked it up for free so I'm not complaining.

Kobalt - Yeah I guess I am retarded cause I think how the side opens is cute... oh well shoot me

jjcom - It scores about 10k in 3dmark01 -- so the card isnt that bad its comparable to a GF4 TI4400-4600

Omega drivers dont work for this card... Windows wouldnt boot after installing the drivers, then I tried the Catalyst and they wouldnt install. Stupid me I should have checked ATI.com first, the FireGL line has its own Unified driver so I just d/l'ed that and works good.

Anyways it runs very smooth I'm wondering if it might be a dual-CPU system? But that might just be the hyperthreading telling me there's 2 CPU's

I'd like to run some kind of web server/game server for CS:S -- I dunno I just wanna put it to good use

Look at the :banana::banana::banana::banana: HP builds, Compaq, E-Machine crap, etc
Dell beats the :banana::banana::banana::banana: out of any competition and I'm glad I have one

ashapirox
12-24-2004, 09:41 AM
Um it,s not a good system but if it's free then who gives a _ _ _ _.

By the way, not all dell suck. Some mp3 players and lcd screens are nice. Everything else is pure garbage.

Or better yet, try playing doom III on ultra graphics setting at 1600x1200 resolution. In fact force the card to render that on a big screen plasma 55 inch screen. :D

The post pics of the fire and smoke coming from inside the case. That would be interesting to see :stick:

No, honestly though, It's a fine enough system for going on the internet and playing even HL2. That way your good system is protected from viruses and everybody wins. As a dedicated server, it's perfect. And if it's free then thats even better, everybody loves free stuff. Hey getting a estimated 500 dollar system for free is cool.

Soulburner
12-24-2004, 12:40 PM
A 2xXeon system would show 4 CPU's in Task Manager.

Kobalt
12-24-2004, 01:14 PM
First off. Dell's cases are rediculous. It takes more time to figure out how the drive cage opens or how to open the case then to un screw it. The performance is NOT comparable to geforce4's. They score around 18k and even up to 24k i think. Not 10k. And compaq isnt that bad now. Look at their cases...i even saw one with a cooler master wavemaster! At least compaq and emachines and hp arent biased. They use intel and amd. Dell is in a :banana::banana::banana::banana: hole cause they dont use amd and theyre suffering since athlon 64 is performing much better now than anything intel can throw at it. Compaq is also much cheaper than dell.

tekXT
12-24-2004, 04:06 PM
First off. Dell's cases are rediculous. It takes more time to figure out how the drive cage opens or how to open the case then to un screw it. The performance is NOT comparable to geforce4's. They score around 18k and even up to 24k i think. Not 10k. And compaq isnt that bad now. Look at their cases...i even saw one with a cooler master wavemaster! At least compaq and emachines and hp arent biased. They use intel and amd. Dell is in a :banana::banana::banana::banana: hole cause they dont use amd and theyre suffering since athlon 64 is performing much better now than anything intel can throw at it. Compaq is also much cheaper than dell.

Do I care? No.

If you think a TI4400 scores 18k in 3dmark01 then YOU **********

I used to have a TI4200 w/ AMD XP @ 2.2Ghz it scored about 10k in 3dmark01

Why is it so hard for you to open a Dell case? Takes me less time to open than my Antec server (have to unscrew the screws).

All I have to do to open this case is push the door handle thing up and pull the side out....... easy as 1-2-3

Kobalt
12-24-2004, 04:27 PM
http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=7160866 18k 2.38ghz ti4400

and another...

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=7408285

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=7719351 18k 2.4ghz athlon xp ti4200

dont tell me ti4x00 series cant score 18k in 3dmark

I work with dell cases all day at school and they are so rediculous to get the drive cages back in. everything has to be perfectly lined up and their cases are so small that its difficult to even see what to line up.

tekXT
12-24-2004, 05:39 PM
First of all the first one is a AMD 64 and TI4400, the second one..... again an AMD 64 but this time a TI4600, and the last one..... Athlon XP? No...... AMD 64 with a TI4600

None of those compare URL's are using a TI4200 OR AMD XP...... all are using AMD 64....... so obviously the scores are going to be out of this world

Remember 3dmark01 is VERY CPU sensitive

But who cares anyways..... yes I do have a Dell and I'm proud to own one

Bye and thanks for any advice

hitek420
12-24-2004, 07:39 PM
I'd love to get a rig like that for free, it would make an awesome server.

If you got a hold of a smp motherboard and another xeon it would rock even more. :)

Soulburner
12-24-2004, 11:04 PM
Remember 3dmark01 is VERY CPU sensitive
With that kind of vid card, the clocks on the card make all the difference in the world. The CPU matters less than you might think, much less than it does on a high end card of today.

tekXT
12-25-2004, 08:16 AM
With that kind of vid card, the clocks on the card make all the difference in the world. The CPU matters less than you might think, much less than it does on a high end card of today.

Not really, when I overclocked my MSI TI4200 to its max. stable clocks I gained no more than 1,000 in 3dmark01

Every 20MHz I upped on the CPU FSB I gained about 500 points each time

:stick:

Kobalt
12-25-2004, 08:30 AM
Not really, when I overclocked my MSI TI4200 to its max. stable clocks I gained no more than 1,000 in 3dmark01

Every 20MHz I upped on the CPU FSB I gained about 500 points each time

:stick:

your cpu must have been reallly slow for the graphics card to not be the bottle neck. Usually the gf4ti's are the bottle neck and thats why raising the clock helps so much.

tekXT
12-25-2004, 10:24 AM
your cpu must have been reallly slow for the graphics card to not be the bottle neck. Usually the gf4ti's are the bottle neck and thats why raising the clock helps so much.

Weird... oh well I dont own no crappy Nvidia cards anymore anyways

Every system has an ATI and thats the way it should be :)

Wrench
12-25-2004, 11:33 AM
I would love that workstation I do a bit of 3d stuff those Dell Workstations are sweet imho. I like Dell stuff, can't beat their price and quality. How many Dell's do you know that just die.
My good friend which does 3d animation for a living bought 4 1 u servers for under 4 thousand dollars to do straight rendering he loves them.

Dell by far kicks the crap out of any other major manufacturer. Workstations trade off stability for speed but when you work for 8 hours and your comp crashes its something that becomes a hair pulling experience.

ashapirox
12-25-2004, 04:53 PM
Hey, :slap: YOU OWN A DELL........ but a free dell :banana:

FREE is the keyword here. If it's free............................... like they say "Bling Bling" except instead of flashing a daytona rolex you flash a 20 dollar watch but then agian, it's free.

tekXT
12-25-2004, 06:56 PM
Hey, :slap: YOU OWN A DELL........ but a free dell :banana:

FREE is the keyword here. If it's free............................... like they say "Bling Bling" except instead of flashing a daytona rolex you flash a 20 dollar watch but then agian, it's free.

Thats right...... FREE b*tches, I'm sure none of you would pass up on a sh*tty Dell Precision 650 FOR FREE

stayfrosty
12-25-2004, 07:48 PM
Hey thats right for that price you just got xtremesystems the best $/speed cs source server ever right? :D

Kobalt
12-25-2004, 08:23 PM
Thats right...... FREE b*tches, I'm sure none of you would pass up on a sh*tty Dell Precision 650 FOR FREE

sure id take a million...sell them in a heartbeat for sure. i wouldnt be caught with a dell if my life depended on it.

Karnivore
12-25-2004, 08:27 PM
Wonderfull to see you all in the holiday spirit and respecting each other :stick: