once the load is removed the temps drop 10c quickly then tapers down
to idle temps over the next min.

Currently Iam using the Zalman GPU block, which I know isn't the best but
would it be worth investing in another GPU block and which one would
be the one of choice??

thanks for your time in this matter

EnJoY
12-17-2004, 08:01 AM
I think it's more of a problem with your radiation than your block. I don't think your passive radiater can handle the load that well and hence you get these much higher load temps. Just my .02

iboomalot
12-17-2004, 09:26 AM
I would think that too but the temps drop from 50-52c to 40c very very quickly within 3 secs.

how bad are 50-52c under load for a X800pro OCed atleast 540/570 ??

Ancient_1
12-17-2004, 09:34 AM
Those temps are quite common from what I have seen and I am not sure a different block would gain much. What is rest of your setup like? If it is just the reseator that can be part of the problem, They are passive and dont have great heat dissapating capabilities. The inital drop in temps is from the heat the block absorbs into the water the slower drop after that is your water temp dropping and with more rad that amount can be eliminated with a additional rad and a better block would lower the 1st drop some but not a big one, just a few degrees at most.

iboomalot
12-17-2004, 09:49 AM
Reserator ===> 1046 pump ===>Zalman ZM-WB2 CPU block ===>Zalman ===> Z style NB block ===>GWB1 GPU block ===> Reserator

Two Papst 80mm fans + the OCZ pwr supply fan is blowing air across the reserator1

Need to get some kind of cleaning or solvent to clean the crap out of the blocks. I noticed the other day some buildup on the internals of the blocks and the stuff is hard as a rock like a calcium deposit or something.

Thinking that is hurting flow and causing high loaded temps too.

maybe time for some maint.

nikhsub1
12-17-2004, 09:56 AM
the stuff is hard as a rock like a calcium deposit or something.
Um, that would be called corrosion. What liquid are you running? I bet your reserator is corroded too.

iboomalot
12-17-2004, 10:02 AM
using WWF but put some tap water in think it caused some buildup.

brand name is Polar windshield wash.

nikhsub1
12-17-2004, 10:03 AM
Yep, definately corrosion and the tap water just accelerates it too.

Ancient_1
12-17-2004, 10:07 AM
Can also be some of the detergents from the WWF added to it. No anti corrosion additives in WWF.

iboomalot
12-17-2004, 10:29 AM
ugh that sucks everything is either hard anodized or gold plated seems strange to be corrosion.

anyway to clean the block out without having to take it apart??

Ancient_1
12-17-2004, 10:31 AM
Not that I know of. Its usually so tough that need a bit of persuasion by hand.

MaxxxRacer
12-17-2004, 12:11 PM
back on topic here.. iboomalot, i run a x800xt at 610/560 and my core temps at idle are 27-29 and load is around 34-37 depending on the temp in my room. The zalman blocks really sucks for cooling vid cards. In one review i read with the reserator the gpu got up above stock temps even when not OCed. I would suggets you get a maze4 gpu block. Its what im using. ITs very low restriction and will give you gobs more performance.

You will also see some performance from removing your NB cooler. A64's DO NOT need water cooled nbs. hell, i could cool off my neo2 nb with a piece of paper.. Anyway, removing it would reduce the amount of heat in the loop (though not by much) and increase your flow due to the lower resriction.

I would also say that your reserator is limiting your temps. Its known not to give great temps, but who can blame it really.

iboomalot
12-17-2004, 02:22 PM
I gave up a few degrees for not having to clean the reserator and wanting nearly silent cooling.

I might put a nice zalman passive on it.

at some point Iam going to goto a chilled setup.

i'll see how well the MAZE does and I agree that alum block zalman supplies doesn't look to be too promising temp wise. I might be upgrading to 1/2" tubing at some point which could help keep temps lower.