PDA

View Full Version : pondering about PSU's, power usage and heat production, hoping to find wisdom

Arbulus
12-12-2004, 02:39 AM
I've been planning my 'dream' oc system for months now, and had several times where i had read so much forums and reviews i just couldn't decide on anything anymore... (probably known issue for some ppl)
Anyway, i finally have all my components, but now i still need a good powersupply.

What i'm looking for is a recent list of what components draw their power from what voltage rails, so i know what i should be getting.
I know HD's draw their power from the 12v, i believe CPU's do aswell.
The ram on the mobo draws from 3.3v. That's all i do know though ;)

The main specs of my future (almost present) system:
AMD 64 3700+ (will be PhCh cooled, and OC with as much voltage as it will need)
DFI NF3-250Gb UT
2x512Mb PC3200 OCZ Rev.2 (want to mod 3.3v rail to get higher vdimm)
X800pro Vivo @ XT (will be PhCh cooled, and OC with as much voltage as it will need)

So i think i'm going to have some massive power requirements, more then my 480W Antec Truepower will be able to supply.

The parts where i need help:

-I don't know where the X800 draws it's power, i believe the 9500-9800 series drew their power from the 5v, its this still the case?
Also, is the power supplied from the AGP slot and the auxillary connector coming from the same rail?

-What other components draw their power from the 5v and 3.3v line?

-I thought the 12v was used for only CPU , HD's and Fans, is this correct?
Also, does the CPU only draw it's voltage from the 12v auxillary connector or does it draw from another rail through the motherboard aswell?

If anybody knows anythink more then i ask, i'm also very happy to hear it.

Also i see that ppl mention OCed CPU's produce up to 200w of heat. If that is the case, then how horribly inefficient are CPU's, because afaik power that goes the CPU is either used up, or becomes heat, not both, meaning that if it produces 200w of heat, that's just wasted energy ? :S ?
(it makes me wonder how much power the CPU actually draws from the PSU)

So if anybody has some RECENT list (i already founda ton of old stuff information, like before there even where extra 12v connectors for CPU's and such, but i don't have much use for that) of either a overview that shows from what rails components draw their power i would greatly appreciate it.

Also, does anybody have formula's to calculate heat production of chips when OCed (a good guesstimate formula should be good)