PDA

View Full Version : Net "lagging" out for no reason

sjmX`
12-11-2004, 12:47 PM
I have been having this problem for AGES now and its really starting to get to me. What it is, is that ill be using any type of program on the net, whether it be games, firefox, IE, msn ANYTHING and ill be using it and suddenly my WHOLE net will die to my PC. its almost like it lags out and i have to wait for it to be ok again.

It happens when im using wireless OR cable so its not the type of connection i got to router (even though the cable is usually a tad more stable).

An example of this is tonight, all i had open was msn and it timed out, reconnected, timed out, reconnected, 5mins later timed out....it was like that for about 30mins.

It happens just randomly, some days it will be fine, other days its every 5mins. i dont know what it is but its annoying me big time. my dad has no problems with his pc or his laptop (using wireless) so what could it be?

EDITTED INFO:
router is made by SMC
my wireless card is SMC
ethernet cable connects to mobo
ISP is Freedom 2 surf 1mbit (a few of my mates are using F2S and have NO PROBLEMS!)

sjmX`
12-13-2004, 01:25 AM
now this is going to sound VERY odd...

yesterday i changed my res from 1600 x 1200 to 1280 x 1024 and my net hasnt actually been as bad, it has only lagged once and it seems faster...any reason for this or have i not giving it enough time to muck up yet?

Maelstrom2160
12-13-2004, 05:10 AM
You may have a conflict between your net adapter and another device. How does ya computer connect to the net? through a NIC to a modem or via USB, if its using a NIC which slot it in?

check to see if any other devices share the same IRQ, normaly its fine for IRQ sharing but some devices get all :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:y, most notably GPU's

do ya do any overclocking?

Which PSU do ya use?

sjmX`
12-13-2004, 07:45 AM
i do overclock but i still have trouble when i dont

i have a 360W cheiftec PSU

i connect to the internet either through a wireless connection (56g but hub is 11g i think...) or ethernet cable at 100mpbs

i dont know about the other connection things, how can i find out?

sjmX`
12-13-2004, 09:14 AM
its still bad, i got in at 5ish and its already died twice! :(!!

WHATS WRONG??

[XC]thewildblue
12-13-2004, 09:42 AM
You may have some spyware on your system or someone unknown to you is also on your wireless network, is it secure. These things maybe causing you to reach your maximum number of allowed connections on your SMC router. I had this problem on my dlink router using torrents, so I backed down on the number of connections and everything was fine....

sjmX`
12-13-2004, 09:53 AM
it is sercure as my dads laptop is fine! and it still happens when im using ethernet aswell!

adware and spybot report nout and it was only yesterday i did a virusscan and my system is clean!

sjmX`
12-13-2004, 09:54 AM
You may have a conflict between your net adapter and another device. How does ya computer connect to the net? through a NIC to a modem or via USB, if its using a NIC which slot it in?

check to see if any other devices share the same IRQ, normaly its fine for IRQ sharing but some devices get all :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:y, most notably GPU's

how can i find that information out?

=[PULSAR]=
12-13-2004, 10:03 AM
you might want to try and go into command prompt and type something like "ping www.google.com -t" that will continously to test the connectivity to the internet. My internet had the same problem, turned out to be a grid problem everyone on the same cable node had the internet keep cutting out. Is there anyone that you can ask that lives around you to see if its happening to them also.

sjmX`
12-13-2004, 11:34 PM
=']you might want to try and go into command prompt and type something like "ping www.google.com -t" that will continously to test the connectivity to the internet. My internet had the same problem, turned out to be a grid problem everyone on the same cable node had the internet keep cutting out. Is there anyone that you can ask that lives around you to see if its happening to them also.

As far as i know, my mates in the same village are fine and they can be logged into msn all day, or download at full speed all day and nothing bad happens.

i did that google thing, it pinged successfully quiet a bit but it wasnt constant, it was mixed in with quiet a few timeouts...is this good or bad?

Maelstrom2160
12-14-2004, 05:44 AM
before ya start how long have you known about the problem? has there been any upgrades to you system between when it ran fine and now?

first thing would be lose the overclock and see if the issue goes away, nf2 nics get all crappy when ya overclocking

for IRQ placement ya gunna need open up device manager, theres a ton of ways to do it.
Go to SYSTEM in control panel, double click, once it loads up click on the hardware tab, then click on the device manager button.
When ya in dev manager, click view menu, then select show resources by connection, then click on the + next to interupt request (IRQ), give us the info in there.

open up ya case aswell and tell us if theres a PCI card sitting in slot one (next to ya graphics board)

Maelstrom2160
12-14-2004, 05:55 AM
it is sercure as my dads laptop is fine! and it still happens when im using ethernet aswell!

adware and spybot report nout and it was only yesterday i did a virusscan and my system is clean!

do ya mean a direct cat 5 link between yours and ya dads system, or ethernet through ya wireless?

tring to isolate if ya wireless is the issue by removing it from the scenario (if posible)

sounds like it aint the issue, but if you can confirm it aint.

run adware and a AV scanner aswell, heres a free one http://housecall.antivirus.com/pc_housecall/

one AV scanner may not pick up on anythin, mums friend ran norton the other day found nothing, then ran housecall and found 3 trojens

sjmX`
12-14-2004, 06:30 AM
before ya start how long have you known about the problem? has there been any upgrades to you system between when it ran fine and now?

first thing would be lose the overclock and see if the issue goes away, nf2 nics get all crappy when ya overclocking

for IRQ placement ya gunna need open up device manager, theres a ton of ways to do it.
Go to SYSTEM in control panel, double click, once it loads up click on the hardware tab, then click on the device manager button.
When ya in dev manager, click view menu, then select show resources by connection, then click on the + next to interupt request (IRQ), give us the info in there.

open up ya case aswell and tell us if theres a PCI card sitting in slot one (next to ya graphics board)

it happens if im overclocking or not

http://img25.exs.cx/img25/1309/device7qm.jpg
^^IRQ stuff

Slot one IS empty

do ya mean a direct cat 5 link between yours and ya dads system, or ethernet through ya wireless?

tring to isolate if ya wireless is the issue by removing it from the scenario (if posible)

sounds like it aint the issue, but if you can confirm it aint.

run adware and a AV scanner aswell, heres a free one http://housecall.antivirus.com/pc_housecall/

one AV scanner may not pick up on anythin, mums friend ran norton the other day found nothing, then ran housecall and found 3 trojens

Cat5 to router, Adware is fine, spybot is fine, ill try the AV Scanner and report back...

sjmX`
12-14-2004, 07:11 AM
so far (done C:, still doing D: , E: and F:) it has found 1 virus and 4 trojans! im so annoyed about this!

sjmX`
12-14-2004, 07:21 AM
well there gone now, but they werent the prob as during the time for me to open firefox and open this thread it had lagged out! all in about 10seconds!

Maelstrom2160
12-14-2004, 08:42 AM
have ya tested ya memory sticks with memtest86? one could be one its way out.

looks like ya using a soundblaster live and onboard sound, which one do ya use? ya could pull the live or shut off the soundstorm in ya bios options.

are ya using standard ide or the enhanced ide driver from nvidia?

if all that fails start simplifing ya system down to as little as posible.
mainboard, mem, cpu, psu, graphics board, harddisk.

Maelstrom2160
12-14-2004, 08:45 AM
u using raid?

sjmX`
12-14-2004, 10:24 AM
can i ask how this would be affecting my net lag?

sjmX`
12-14-2004, 01:09 PM
i have got so fed up i have just (in the middle of right now) done a reformat on C:

if this doesnt solve the problem then......IT WILL SOLVE IT!! *thinks positive*

Maelstrom2160
12-14-2004, 02:05 PM
well there gone now, but they werent the prob as during the time for me to open firefox and open this thread it had lagged out! all in about 10seconds!

i was thinking along the lines of some type of conflict was laggin ya system.

cause you were saying it happens when ya hardisk is accessed (as ya said when ya opened firefox) did it tend to happen when ya load up programs?

the enhanced IDE driver from nvidia is just a pain in the arse for most, especialy when ya overclocking it's the reason why i asked, ya raid was sharing the same IRQ as soundstorm audio aswell reason i asked which sound chip you were using as primary

IRQ conflicts cause lag, and crappyness in general

NVM looks like ya blitzed ya system, hope it sorts ya s"&% out

btw its difficult to remedy a issue when ya not infront of the machine to diagnose the problem yaself, easy if its a common fault but something as vauge as system lag, reason i was asking so many questions ;)

sjmX`
12-14-2004, 02:16 PM
thats totally cool, i rather you ask questions rather then just leave me

anyways...about the HD access...er...no, i would just be using firefox (one browser only, no tabs) and nothing else on the net, and say i look at a few sites, and it seems fine for about 10-15mins, suddenly it will just stop working!

im now just installing updates on new installation, its already stopped once BUT it may just be a random crash (im using cat5 for now). until i can get the wireless going and start normal browsing and msn on pc, i shall not know if the new install has worked, unless it just gets silly with me just doing updates!

sjmX`
12-14-2004, 03:58 PM
this is REALLY taking the p1ss now! its doesnt seem any better!

EDIT: It actually seems a lot worse then before...its slower...much more unstable...crashes...deviantart will not allow me to login using firefox...being a clean install i see NOTHING wrong with the system, therefore im looking at the router!

Rix2357
12-28-2004, 07:51 AM
What programs are running that use the net connection? Some firewalls conflict with p2p applications (i.e. Bittorrent and Zonealarm v5.xx). Turning off Zonealarm doesn't help because the process is still running on startup.