PDA

View Full Version : quick question about netsend

koolrocksteady
11-12-2002, 09:49 PM
Can you do it on windows xp? I have a home network and want to try it. Also does it have to be on a server or can you do it on a P2P? Thanks

JBELL
11-12-2002, 09:58 PM
Welcome to the sickness

It *SHOULD* work on WinXP and p2p - if on same network locally - I don't see why it wouldn't work.

koolrocksteady
11-12-2002, 10:03 PM
ok well it's been a long time since I did it. it goes like this right?

c:/netsend "name" hi

IFMU
11-12-2002, 10:05 PM
gawd... tryin to remember this... It does work on XP. I tested it out a couple weeks back... I think you need to specify the IP for the machine your wanting to send too I think. You need something to specify what machine....... arg.... Sorry, cant recall ATM.

And btw, Welcome to the Xtreme!~!

IFMU
11-12-2002, 10:08 PM
Ah yea, ok, I got it at leas on my setup here...

C:\net send 192.168.1.3 (Comment, whatever?) then enter...

koolrocksteady
11-12-2002, 10:09 PM
ok but all my computers share 1 IP. I am on a cable router..OOPS they have different. My bad:D

koolrocksteady
11-12-2002, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by koolrocksteady
ok but all my computers share 1 IP. I am on a cable router..OOPS they have different. My bad:D
Still didn't work. Is my router not letting it through? Firewall maybe?

IFMU
11-12-2002, 10:17 PM
Yea, if you have a router, then they have different IP's. Im curious now, my moms rig has WinME on it, (god the horrible demise to come there) But I cant get it to work under the net send command... any idea why? LoL.... just curious about this on that blasted thing.. My rig says a net send command goes through to it ok, even though one doesnt show up there, and that end refuses to even recognize that there is a net send command?!

koolrocksteady
11-12-2002, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by koolrocksteady
Still didn't work. Is my router not letting it through? Firewall maybe?

OK it's some setting on this puter. both have xp pro and 1 tells me software or hardware might be problem and other can send to this one but I can't reply

IFMU
11-12-2002, 10:24 PM
Heh... wish I could help you, unfortunately, it is just a lil beyond me... Luck though!

JBELL
11-12-2002, 10:30 PM
you have to go C:\net send (user login name) (Comment, whatever?) then enter...

koolrocksteady
11-12-2002, 10:34 PM
it say's general network error has occoured

more help is avail at net HELPMSG 2136

JBELL
11-12-2002, 10:36 PM
both rigs have same network group name?

Kurupt
11-12-2002, 11:02 PM
Netsend only works on 2k and xp if Im not mistaking... Also you can turn it off somehow so it might be off.

Kurupt
11-12-2002, 11:03 PM
Also if you really wanted to get into this ... Please take the time to check this out http://www.wegabyte.com/

wdd1040
11-12-2002, 11:32 PM
Kurupt is right, net send only works on XP and 2k. You must have the service Messenger enabled for it to work. Also, you don't need to be on the same network locally, you just must have a direct connection. I know this because if I'm at school and I go to my FTP site that's on my home computer, I can Net Send to my home computer just fine. As for reasons why it might not work on that one comp, just check to see if that service is enabled.

Lord Raven
11-17-2002, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by wdd1040
Kurupt is right, net send only works on XP and 2k. You must have the service Messenger enabled for it to work. Also, you don't need to be on the same network locally, you just must have a direct connection. I know this because if I'm at school and I go to my FTP site that's on my home computer, I can Net Send to my home computer just fine. As for reasons why it might not work on that one comp, just check to see if that service is enabled.

Just an add-on of what wdd1040 said...

A couple of easy ways to enable Messenger or any Service for that matter:

In the Run dialog box type:

net start [service]

For Messenger it's:

net start messenger

To stop a service:

net stop [service]

To use the Services module itself just type services.msc in the Run dialog box and you can start and stop any service you want.. Just be careful.. ;)