PDA

View Full Version : disk read error windows not working?

reject
12-09-2004, 10:50 PM
i took out my board to put some sinks on the mosfets, and then put it back in with most of them done
now it goes disk read error crtl alt del to restart.
i tried both sata cables and ports, swithcing my dimms around
(1-3 and 3-1) and other stuff so its pretty obvious my os is corrupted. thats ok cause i kind of knew it was coming, since it wasnt a very fresh copy
but now i cant even reinstall windows it gets freezes.
isthere something wrong or should i just go back to stock clocks and try again?
but its kind of wierd my comp was on then i turned it off to do the sinking and there was no evidence, except for a corrupt file about a month ago, but chkdsk fixed that.
i also cant get into recovery console to do chkdsk /r

TheDude
12-10-2004, 03:07 AM
Never try to reinstall windows while overclocked. Drop back to default settings and try again, if still no go....something is wrong....let us know. :thumbsup:

reject
12-10-2004, 05:39 AM
yeh i tried at stock but it didnt work. now i dont know what to do

reject
12-10-2004, 07:20 AM
i tried clearing cmos and it freezes during entering recovey cionsole or reinstalling windows at the "examing 76348mb on bus 0 of atapi" message

bias_hjorth
12-10-2004, 07:47 AM
usually it means broken harddrive or memory :(

I suspect the first.

TheDude
12-10-2004, 08:56 AM
usually it means broken harddrive or memory :(

I suspect the first.

Me too. :(

reject
12-10-2004, 06:32 PM
ok hmmm my second dead HD but this is a samsung P80 :( meant to be one of the best
im going to try get a tool to format F: drive and install windows on fresh FAT32, is that slower?

bias_hjorth
12-11-2004, 05:15 PM
Well rumors said that FAT32 is a tad slower but I honestly havent seen a 100% foulproff review of that yet.

reject
12-11-2004, 09:30 PM
i posted this question around a few forums and most people said i need to get a new hd and then save my stuff. ill test the old one and it might need rma
on google some discussions said this type of corruption only happens to NTFS but then if its a mechanical thing ill probly use ntfs
thanks for the helps

naelq
01-31-2005, 04:42 PM
hi bud, i know it's a 'bit' old, but i think i can help! ;)
are you trying to install WinXP SP2 on a RAID array with a Cluster size greater than 4K ?!

i had the same problem with my 80GB SATA's. (maybe getting some new NCQ drives or something... :D)

& if you wonder why i'm asking, it's because i would like to find a REAL solution to this problem rather than the 'trick' already posted over ABIT-USA forums. IMHO, it's a SP2 bug! :bananal:

THunDA
02-17-2005, 10:24 AM
hi bud, i know it's a 'bit' old, but i think i can help! ;)
are you trying to install WinXP SP2 on a RAID array with a Cluster size greater than 4K ?!

i had the same problem with my 80GB SATA's. (maybe getting some new NCQ drives or something... :D)

& if you wonder why i'm asking, it's because i would like to find a REAL solution to this problem rather than the 'trick' already posted over ABIT-USA forums. IMHO, it's a SP2 bug! :bananal:

Not sure if you check Abit usa forum lately.. But I found THIS (http://forum.abit-usa.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=63931)thread with a fix that works..

naelq
02-18-2005, 02:19 AM
thank you very much buddy, at least someone was interested. :up:
but FYI, i already know about that 'trick' & i did mention it above! :D
i'm wondering if MS made it in purpose or it was a 'flaw' in SP2? & if so, is there any official word from them?!