PDA

View Full Version : NVIDIA to create another SoundStorm (SoundStorm2)

Dissolved
12-08-2004, 11:37 AM
http://techreport.com/ja.zz?comments=7706

"Here at NVIDIA's Editor's Day event today, NVIDIA CEO Jen-Hsun Huang addressed questions about the company's plans for a possible second spin of its popular but ill-fated SoundStorm audio solution. Apparently, a reprise of SoundStorm will happen. Huang told the assembled press types, "We're gonna build SoundStorm 2. It's gonna be awesome." He was less clear on what form the next SoundStorm would take, saying that NVIDIA was still trying to figure out how to deliver SoundStorm as a product. Huang said, cryptically, that the new SoundStorm "will come in a way that you won't expect."

In the same Q&A session, Huang spoke about NVIDIA's history with the NV1 "media processor" chip, which had built-in sound as well as graphics. He disputed that notion that NVIDIA is primarily a "graphics company," and then suggested that the GPU is going to evolve and expand beyond graphics to include other kinds of digital media.

Based on all of that, it doesn't sound to me like the next SoundStorm is likely to find its way into a future nForce chipset. Instead, some future GeForce seems like a more likely place for SoundStorm to appear, as strange as that sounds. Of course, it's all speculation at this point, but in one form or another, SoundStorm will someday return. "

:D

texuspete00
12-08-2004, 11:46 AM
Never gave much thought to it coming on the graphics card. I just took him to mean it would be an add-on board. Hmm... it will be interesting to see how it all pans out but I would think they would come with a multi-pronged attack at some point. Interesting stuff. Hopefully it will still save all those precious cpu cycles like SS1 did.:D

Dissolved
12-08-2004, 12:05 PM
Nvidia High perforance Video cards Now deliever High Performance Sound!

I wonder how they would fit all 9~ sound inputs, tv-in/out, 2 dvi on the card? :P

a Decent Video processor + top grade Sound card on the pci-E 1x bus would be pretty good i think. they'd need a good seeling point to get sales from creative xD

DevilsRejection
12-08-2004, 03:53 PM
as long as it does EAX then im onboard. but more and more games are in dts now so idk.

Der_KHAN
12-08-2004, 06:38 PM
i think nv1 even had 2 ports for sega gamepads as well...

Disposibleteen
12-08-2004, 06:51 PM
a good arguement to get sales away from Creative is that newer games such as half like 2 and S.T.A.L.K.E.R (unreleased) will do alot fo the sound processing on the Cpu not to sound card

Donnie27
12-15-2004, 07:23 AM
a good arguement to get sales away from Creative is that newer games such as half like 2 and S.T.A.L.K.E.R (unreleased) will do alot fo the sound processing on the Cpu not to sound card

I don't know about S.T.A.L.K.E.R (unreleased) but I've played Half Life 2. This makes an even better arguement FOR Creative. The Audigy 2/2 ZS does DTS, DTS Neo6 and etc. in hardware with a MLP chip built-in. I have the Full version of Power DVD 6 Deluxe and at times it can use up to 20% of the CPU doing 6 speaker or 5.1 and more doing 7 (6.1) or 8 (7.1) speaker configs. As folks test this stuff we'll see the real deal. Most games audio engines cause a 1 to 16% hit to performance when using 3D.

What will jump up and BITE Creative is their acting like Apple and holding on to their Tech too tightly! EAX3 and 4 is no good if they don't license it to other companies. But other companies also need to add MLP hardware as well.

Donnie