PDA

View Full Version : Longhorn

warrior68
12-08-2004, 08:34 AM
Does anyone know where i could download a beta version of windows longhorn to test out.(Yes i know this is a stupid question-but i have to ask)Thanks

masterofpuppets
12-08-2004, 08:50 AM
There isn't any beta's out. The only versions availible are leaked and illegal pre-beta versions. I have tried them on a virtual machine, and I can tell you, longhorn sucks really badly. And I'm not just saying that because I hate M$ either. It sucks because it's full of bugs, is noob friendly, it looks like the tellitubbies. It's not worth trying out. Plus, M$'s programmers are so useless at programming that it won't be finished until 2010, and by then, it will be completely obsolete and rather worthless.

warrior68
12-08-2004, 09:53 AM
I did not know that thanks for the info. :toast:

hollywood
12-08-2004, 09:59 AM
There isn't any beta's out. The only versions availible are leaked and illegal pre-beta versions. I have tried them on a virtual machine, and I can tell you, longhorn sucks really badly. And I'm not just saying that because I hate M$ either. It sucks because it's full of bugs, is noob friendly, it looks like the tellitubbies. It's not worth trying out. Plus, M$'s programmers are so useless at programming that it won't be finished until 2010, and by then, it will be completely obsolete and rather worthless.

Hmm...lets see...

Illegal Pre-beta...and you say it's crap.

You spell Microsoft with a $...there's a sure sign right there.

2010 huh? Yeah...you're really informed.

Stick to OCing advice, I'm sure you said the same about XP when it was Whistler.

masterofpuppets
12-08-2004, 10:20 AM
I was joking about the 2010 part. I spell M$ with a $ because they are commercial freaks and I don't like them. I have tried out several stages of longhorn's development and it is buggy and horrible, and I'm not saying that because I am a Unix guy. I didn't say this stuff about Windows Whistler, since I had never tried a pre-release version of it. But imo, M$ made a mess of XP even when it was released. It's been out for little over 3 years and it has already had millions of updates and 2 service packs. Ok, so 2000 has had 4 service packs, but I have run that on the internet without any firewalls or antivirus software with no problems. Not even an attack from the MS Blaster virus. XP is kind of a technical flop. And I am sure longhorn will be to, despite the new technology. Oh, I will give people operating systems advice if I want, I know loads of Unix and Windows info which I am sure people will need at some point.

hollywood
12-08-2004, 01:04 PM
I was joking about the 2010 part. I spell M$ with a $ because they are commercial freaks and I don't like them. I have tried out several stages of longhorn's development and it is buggy and horrible, and I'm not saying that because I am a Unix guy. I didn't say this stuff about Windows Whistler, since I had never tried a pre-release version of it. But imo, M$ made a mess of XP even when it was released. It's been out for little over 3 years and it has already had millions of updates and 2 service packs. Ok, so 2000 has had 4 service packs, but I have run that on the internet without any firewalls or antivirus software with no problems. Not even an attack from the MS Blaster virus. XP is kind of a technical flop. And I am sure longhorn will be to, despite the new technology. Oh, I will give people operating systems advice if I want, I know loads of Unix and Windows info which I am sure people will need at some point.

Yeah bro...but your bias is flamingly obvious.

To call XP a technical flop is insanity. Virus writers target the most popular software, and XP and 2000 share the same kernel. A virus for XP will screw with 2000 as well.

Longhorn is moving to Vector-based 3d rendering, and significantly simplifying certain operations for the GENERAL PUBLIC.

Remember them...the people who buy 99.9% of PCs ???

We my friend are the Xtreme minority. Our whims and desires are not in consideration in the boardroom. If you don't like an OS, you can always run a different one...

I personally will judge Longhorn when it's released and had it's first service pack. You really need to accept the fact that with the millions of possible hardware / driver combinations out there that writing a "perfect" OS is nearly impossible anyhow. The fact that Microsoft™ is able to and have it work nearly 99% of the time is commendable.

Disposibleteen
12-08-2004, 05:43 PM
very true, you can never judge an operation system by its illegal pre releases, duh there going to be buggy, my only gripe about longhorn is they are thinking about building DRM into the OS and sooner or later the actual computer hardware YUCKO!

Der_KHAN
12-08-2004, 06:35 PM
... imo, M$ made a mess of XP even when it was released. It's been out for little over 3 years and it has already had millions of updates and 2 service packs. Ok, so 2000 has had 4 service packs, but I have run that on the internet without any firewalls or antivirus software with no problems. Not even an attack from the MS Blaster virus. XP is kind of a technical flop...

sorry but the part about win2k being safer than xp is just plain bs :bs:
so is the legend of unix being safer than windows

sjohnson
12-08-2004, 06:50 PM
The threat of DRM in hardware and software is why I'm moving to Linux/BSD/whatever. When you look at how MS operates DRM is a very likely NOT a means to protect copyright but rather a means to stifle competition. The big guns (like HP, IBM) won't have a problem but startup companies could find it nearly impossible to thrive.

The ONLY reason is DRM. Win2k/XP are fine, a stripped-down 2k3 server works well for workstation use as well.

Now, if '98 or (shudder) ME were still the flagship offerrings from MS there'd be MANY more reasons. Those were truly horrible OS's compared to available alternatives of the time but earned MS the reputation that has created the bias many have.

stayfrosty
12-08-2004, 09:12 PM
Actually there is a legal version of longhorn out there theres 2 versions 32 bit and 64, I have the 64 bit version but i havent gotten to playing with it each has a 60 day only use tho...

WildKard
12-08-2004, 09:18 PM
I tried to get a 64bit build to run, but it wouldnt allow me to install because I was using a RAID setup :| D`oh!

hollywood
12-08-2004, 10:07 PM
I got XP 64, latest build running on my other partition. Smooth as silk, much faster access times, etc. However the lack of good 64 bit drivers in this early stage prevents me from using / testing it as much as I would like.

stayfrosty
12-09-2004, 07:11 AM
I got XP 64, latest build running on my other partition. Smooth as silk, much faster access times, etc. However the lack of good 64 bit drivers in this early stage prevents me from using / testing it as much as I would like.

exactly why i have decided not to waste my 60 days just yet

WildKard
12-09-2004, 08:04 AM
Well, I havent got longhorn working, but I can tell you, the 64bit build of Windows XP using the latest 64bit drivers outperforms 32bit XP, and nearly matches Windows 2000 performance

But of course it depends on your hardware

DFI Lanparty ut250GB using 5.23 nvidia drivers or something like that(there is actually new ones 6.23 I think, which should perform even better!)

ATI Radeon X800 XT PE using 64bit Catalyst Beta2

A64 3400+ newcastle

Stock 2k = 27050
Stock XP = 26400
Stock XP64 = 26800

And there was only one driver I coulnt find for my entire system and that was for my hauppauge tv tuner card, and I had minimal program combatibility, the only one that killed me was mIRC :(

muzz
12-11-2004, 11:14 AM
exactly why i have decided not to waste my 60 days just yet

XP64 gives you a 365 Day usage.

Didzi
12-14-2004, 07:35 AM
Microsoft are giving you 360 days to test the software , checkThis Link (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/evaluation/upgrade.mspx) in the first paragraph

Jamo
12-27-2004, 02:00 PM
yeah i too have downloaded it and wonder if its worth putting on, i heard you couldnt use certain programs like media player etc on it tho? even tho i dont use it i just wondered if there were any other programs that dont run on the trail version?