PDA

View Full Version : Windows Tip: Put a CPU Meter in Your XP Taskbar

JBELL
11-12-2002, 01:58 PM
Windows Tip: Put a CPU Meter in Your XP Taskbar

This easy trick will tell you how much work your processor's doing.

You can see how hard your computer is working at all times by putting a CPU meter in your Windows XP or 2000 Professional taskbar -- and you don't have to download anything at all.

You may have noticed that when your Task Manager is running, you have a little CPU meter in your taskbar. Here's how you keep it in your taskbar all the time to monitor your greedy applications.

The steps

Open your Task Manager by hitting Ctrl + Alt + Del and then choosing Task Manager. You should see a little CPU meter in your System Tray. You can also open your Task Manager by going to Start --> Run and typing "taskmgr" without the quotes.

In your Task Manager, choose Options, then check "Minimize on Use" and "Hide when Minimized."

When your Task Manager is minimized, you won't see it in your taskbar, but you'll still see your little CPU meter in the System Tray.

If you put a link to your Task Manager in your startup folder (you should find the Task Manager in C:/Windows/System32, or search for "taskmgr" on your system drive), the Task Manager will start in your System Tray every time you start your computer.

I love this little trick, so I can keep an eye on my system resources. Enjoy!

Tweaked!
11-12-2002, 02:57 PM
That is a neat trick, cept I know that all my rigs are constantly running at full load since they're all running F@H. So, to make this interesting, can you get it to show both cpu's on a duallie???? ;)

Dissolved
11-12-2002, 10:58 PM
This will eat a small amount of cpu. MBM5 can do the same thing, and give alot of other info while useing lesscpu bandwith :)

Kurupt
11-12-2002, 11:09 PM
if you guys like this and want a full system read out on your desktop.. Go here www.wincustomize.com and download sysmetrix.

IFMU
11-12-2002, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by Tweaked!
That is a neat trick, cept I know that all my rigs are constantly running at full load since they're all running F@H. So, to make this interesting, can you get it to show both cpu's on a duallie???? ;)
Thats a negative there, sorry to say. Only shows 1 gauge.