PDA

View Full Version : I'm a geek.

mcnbns
12-07-2004, 02:39 PM
I've finally come to the realization that I am a computer geek and will remain so for many years to come.

It began when I didn't think water cooling was all that extreme. Now I see phase change systems as commonplace.

When I buy computer parts, I don't rate them on their stock specs, but on how they should overclock.

Every possible (common) volt-mod has been performed on my motherboard, but I still want more.

I use a $400 Fluke multimeter to measure my volt-modded components to within one thousandth of a volt, condemning lesser digital multimeters because of their inaccuracy.

I laugh at other people's definitions of a fast computer: one that will not slow down while playing music, talking on MSN Messenger, AND surfing the internet.

When people walk into my room they are instantly drawn toward the blue glowing mass of my computer, and I am forced to explain what each of the components does.

Here's to being the biggest geek on the block, and keeping it XTREME. :toast:

STEvil
12-07-2004, 03:25 PM
I use cheapie dmm's, $400 for a fluke is not in the budget :/

mcnbns
12-07-2004, 04:12 PM
My grandfather used to be an electrical engineer, but he died recently and my dad inherited all the cool electronic measuring devices. TBH, I wouldn't "condemn lesser multimeters because of their inaccuracy" if I didn't have this one just hanging around the house. :p:

masterofpuppets
12-08-2004, 05:19 AM
We're all geeks. But that's what XtremeSystems is for.

Iridium192_217
12-08-2004, 10:19 AM
As long as you have decent social skills, I don't think its a problem.

Holst
12-08-2004, 11:01 AM
I think we all class as geeks in here

None of my friends in the real world are int computers or even games like I am.
So people dont realise im a geek untill there computer breaks, or they visit my house.
Even when people do express an interest I try not to get too into it. Talking about computers isnt all that interesting unless sombody is on your level.
Ill never tell anybody my 3dmark score, did that once and the guy instantly thought I was lying, till he checked the orb and appologised to me a week later.. hehe.

Nobody is all that supprised im into computers as I do allot of other random hobbies as well, this is one of the many unusual things im into.

Disposibleteen
12-08-2004, 11:04 AM
computers arent unusual... they are cool, and people who dont know jack about them are going to have to rely on people who do know about them very soon!

Dissolved
12-08-2004, 11:25 AM
i used a <20.00 UEI DMM myself. gets the job Done.

Holst
12-08-2004, 11:42 AM
I also have an expensive fluke, but i nicked it from work ... haha

Kanati
12-08-2004, 09:15 PM
I'm pretty sure if you are registered here on the xtreme forums you are a geek or wanna be geek, which pretty much makes you a geek anyway. I realized I was a geek when I started using spare computer cases for furniture in my dorm room.

del_fuego
12-09-2004, 09:26 AM
I'm pretty sure if you are registered here on the xtreme forums you are a geek or wanna be geek, which pretty much makes you a geek anyway.

Shouldnt it be more defined as "computer geek" ? I think its a bit unfair to say that if someone is heavily into computers that it instantly qualifies him/her as an ('overall') geek ;) I've met alot of people that dont have a pute and can only be best described as a geek, i mean, im also heavily into ladies private parts (you'll have to take my word on that one :p: ), some (or most of you, i dont know?) may not be ;) so would someone i meet one day say to me "oh, your heavily into ladies private parts...you geek" ?, no i didnt think so either :D The same analogy could be applied to someones obsession with say cars, music, football... the list goes on!

There are different 'strains' of geek that span across many sectors of our society, remember - "One mans geek is another mans mentor" - d.fuego 04.
Something to ponder :D

Cheers, dEl :toast:

bh2k
12-09-2004, 10:48 AM
I use a 20 dollar DMM and a 350 dollar fluke thermometer.

JWB
12-09-2004, 11:02 AM
<---------------Not a geek =p

Kanati
12-09-2004, 02:39 PM
For some reason people are under the impression that you are a geek you have no social skills and can't get a girl. I personally like my girls like I like my computers, hot, flashy, and showing off their parts ;P. My girlfriend on the other hand hates my computer(s) becuase they take precious time that I could be spending with her away :D.

Kanati

del_fuego
12-09-2004, 02:48 PM
Girls usually spend as much time on their phones as we do on our putes, maybe most girls are "phone geeks"? ;)

dEl.

jjcom
12-09-2004, 03:06 PM
girls at my school know I use computers and all. But that doesn't stop them from talking/flirting with me. They seem to think that its kinda cool that i can do stuff on the computer. I don't ramble on...unless I'm asked lol :D So they think I'm alright.

jjcom