PDA

View Full Version : Someone from OCZ please respond to 600W PSU question :)

jinu117
12-06-2004, 06:18 PM
Call me impatient but have to find this in hurry :)

I asked Bo about this but wanted to get higher ups answer on this too if possible

1. How do OCZ (or the supplier) rate their PSU? At 20c, 30c, 40c, 50c ambient temperature?

2. This is what I have in my system. I definitely do believe I have potential power issues as there are quite a few components that will drain power. Do you think 600W will be able to handle this with 40c ambient temperature inside case (well it won’t get that high but for safety measure during summer time.)
A64 3500+ running @ 3.0ghz 1.8v v-core. This could go up to 3.15ghz 2.0 v-core for benching. Vapor phase cooled.
MSI K8N neo2
X800XT PE will be volt modded and overclocked heavily. Right now water cooled.
Sound blaster audigy in PCI slot
3 SATA HDD: 1 seagate 80gb, 1 WD Raptor 74gb, 1 WD 160GB.
1 DL DVD Burner.
Mach II (in all essence, mach II GT), MPC600 water pump.
Fan controller with…
i. 2x120mm fan consuming 3.36w each
ii. 5x80mm fan consuming 1.8w each
iii. 1x50mm fan consuming 1w
3.5” FDD
Connected USB devices
i. USB Keybaord (EL lighted one), mosue.
ii. USB printer, USB hub, 2 UPS (one for promym one for system)

3. Is it possible to merge the dual rails if need be? Also, is that 12v rail limited to something less than 38A total (which I have seen with many PSUs with dual rails).

HiJon89
12-06-2004, 06:22 PM
I would go with a PC Power and Cooling, they seem to be able to handle absolutely everything you throw at them. The PC Power and Cooling 510 Deluxe is what Alienware uses for their SLI setups with 2 6800 Ultras :slobber: :eek:

Kobalt
12-06-2004, 06:33 PM
it says in your sig you have a 660w psu...thats not enough? if that isnt...a 600w ocz wont do the job if 660w enermax wont. enermax is pretty high quality.

you might want to get dual power supplies instead of pay a premium for an extremely powerful one

jinu117
12-06-2004, 07:23 PM
it says in your sig you have a 660w psu...thats not enough? if that isnt...a 600w ocz wont do the job if 660w enermax wont. enermax is pretty high quality.

you might want to get dual power supplies instead of pay a premium for an extremely powerful one
Long story short, I am getting robbed about 168 Watt of power making it effective a very good 492W PSU. (one of 12v rail is only utilized for multi processor mobo)
Basically the candidate i have in mind now is Zippy/Emacs 600, 650,700, PC&P 510, and OCZ 600W. Quite partial to zippy/emacs except... for the cabling mess associated with it and cost. Also wondering how does the dual rail thing works as I don't think any heavy hitters are using dual rail PSU really yet. (OCZ 520W single 12v rail, PC&P 510 single 12v rail, TTGI single 12v rail, etc)
Only dual 12v rail I've seen so far that I would even think about are from newer enermaxses, zippy, Antec (too low powered though), and OCZ. Which non of heavy benchers who really stresses the PSU are using in their bench rig AFAIK.
If dual rail is no go for heavy oc'ing I guess there is that juicy Zippy 700watt for $300... (ouch).
I just want to find out what insider information from OCZ might yield.

STEvil
12-06-2004, 08:32 PM
At the risk of sounding dumb, it makes the most sense to have one rail dedicated the the ATX/BTX header and extra motherboard power connectors... then the other rail will handle drives etc.

Whether its a good idea to put the video card in with one or the other.. i'm not sure.

On a dual rail psu, that is.

What i'm wondering is if the two rails can be connected within the PSU so their dedicated power can be combined? Sometimes powering the video card with a seperate PSU (seperate rail possible in this) can cause issues if the two have voltage differences which could cause voltage to feed one way or another.. etc. With dualrail psu's they'd see a short and shut off.. that sound familiar to anyone?

I bought a 600w OCZ Powerstream not too long ago and i'm just waiting for it to show up in the mail, but since thinking more in depth on the single rail vs. dual rail i'm starting to wonder if I shouldn't have held off.. hmm.

Quite annoying really, since with one huge dedicated rail you dont have any worries until your total system capacity is just too much.. whereas with multiple rails you have to worry about one component pulling harder than another causing an instability.. not to mention dual rails would be less dedicated power for the CPU.. (assuming it uses +12v for vcore, which most new setups do).

Just for reference, 9500/9600/9700/9800 series all use +5v for power I believe.. dunno about X6/7/8 series though.

Anyone who knows more than me care to explain this better? :D

jinu117
12-06-2004, 09:20 PM
Actually i found spec of most dual rails to be great for CPU. 18A to cpu only is great if you think about it. That is frigging 216W. How many of us are really getting there right now? Not until dual core hits. That 18A is actually lower than zippy ones with dual rail which is 20A, 26A each. (Zippy has less 5v rail though). And no doubt we will see even more massive ones soon. I am actually more worried about things other than CPU. Where 20A for OCZ 600W might not be enough if there are a lot of components involved like in my case. Rough estimated guess gives me good 200+Watts just with HDDs, Fans, GPU, Pump and Mach II (basically 2 big 120mm fans+ something) and many usb devices under stock setting. Looking at temperature increasee with volt mod on my GPU, I guess pumping 100W out of this GPU would be quite common thing to see once volt modding is involved. At which point I guess the number i metioned scales up. not to mention don't the mobo need to use the 12v somewhere too other than CPU? I just am confused as I could be ATM.
Also, another thing that worries me is how would OCZ PSU perform under actual ambient temp which could go as high as 40c I would guess. If it was rated @ 20c like some other PSU's were, that sounds like to me for the money PC&P would be better choice. Or Zippy which does their testing @ 40c. I really need to find this out soon..

gkiing
12-06-2004, 09:25 PM
Actually i found spec of most dual rails to be great for CPU. 18A to cpu only is great if you think about it. That is frigging 216W. How many of us are really getting there right now? Not until dual core hits. That 18A is actually lower than zippy ones with dual rail which is 20A, 26A each. (Zippy has less 5v rail though). And no doubt we will see even more massive ones soon. I am actually more worried about things other than CPU. Where 20A for OCZ 600W might not be enough if there are a lot of components involved like in my case. Rough estimated guess gives me good 200+Watts just with HDDs, Fans, GPU, Pump and Mach II (basically 2 big 120mm fans+ something) and many usb devices under stock setting. Looking at temperature increasee with volt mod on my GPU, I guess pumping 100W out of this GPU would be quite common thing to see once volt modding is involved. At which point I guess the number i metioned scales up. not to mention don't the mobo need to use the 12v somewhere too other than CPU? I just am confused as I could be ATM.
Also, another thing that worries me is how would OCZ PSU perform under actual ambient temp which could go as high as 40c I would guess. If it was rated @ 20c like some other PSU's were, that sounds like to me for the money PC&P would be better choice. Or Zippy which does their testing @ 40c. I really need to find this out soon..

I've already been past 215W of heat, not sure what that means power wise, with an old setup too. Try running a 1700+ @ 3.2ghz 2.3vcore on an NF7-S, chip core at -28C. Time for a new psu :) I heard a "pop" and my antec 430W truepower has been having problems ever since (its vmodded too). Gotta love that NF7 with its stock vcore selection :D

:stick:

jinu117
12-06-2004, 09:34 PM
Damn... more and more I am leaning to the insane $300 PSU. Gotta get ready for the SLI room heater. (Bet SLI trend will last about a year or so).
BTW, how does that cooler master's stacker's mixing 2 PSU work? Does it cause problem with grounding? I know they give you wires for it but I have no idea how it will work...

STEvil
12-06-2004, 09:42 PM
lol.. "pop".. my shuttle an35n made that noise at about 2.7v cpu lol :D

HiJon89
12-07-2004, 06:43 AM
The PCP&C 510 is tested at something like 40 or 50C, when tested at the same temp as other power supplies it puts out well over 600W.

jinu117
12-07-2004, 11:32 AM
More and more I am getting turned off by neweggs awesome policy. They don't have clue as to what they are selling nor willing to find out. Zippy 700W they have there is... no one knows what connector it might be one.
Could be 20+4, could be 24+4, could be 24+8, could be GES, they have no idea. And not willing to find out. (referring to manufacturer who stocks 2 diff sets all the time and customizes based on customer need for rest).
Not only that found out price is much much cheaper from Zippy itself. about by $50. Guess Newegg probably makes close to $70-80 on sale of each of this units... if they do make sales at all. (okay minus operational cost, etc which sounds minimal since no one has to know what they are selling)
Still waiting from OCZ to hear back on their PSU. In the mean time I believe I will give it whirl with Zippy 700W since price is in line with PC&P deluxe with their interesting shipping charge policy.
Maybe one of local guys to me will grab 600W and we can find out how single and dual rail behaves down the line.