PDA

View Full Version : phase change arriving soon.. what are my options?

Below Ambient
11-12-2002, 03:50 AM
i dunno much about it except that it has made by some guy from [H] named Drakester.... as far as i know its mroe than capable of chilling water which is what im considering doing...

heres the problem... the reservior... id like to make it as sealed as possible yet im concerned with temps... metal=$$$ which i dont have, so how about lexan? anyone have any ideas on this?

thanks-Matt

TheDude
11-12-2002, 05:22 AM
Good to see you here Below Ambient
Hang in there, we have some regulars in here who are qualified to help and will be along soon I hope:D

|PuNiSh3R|
11-12-2002, 10:46 AM
Just use a 5 gallon bucket of your choice... wrap neoprene insulation tape around it.. put the fittings for inlet and outlet wherever you want.. put the lid on.. n ur done.. heh.. Run a mixture of 50% water, 35% alcohol (highest alcohol content you can find, like the 90% stuff) and then 15% anti-freeze..

Whatever you do, keep your anti-freeze low as possible.. alcohol is good.. it will keep things from freezing .. it's good to -80C i believe.. and of course water.. Alcohol also is good because it will kill any growth in the system.. and it keeps your water tubes nice and shiney clear.. not that you will see them cuz you should have them insulated!!

Below Ambient
11-12-2002, 01:29 PM
punisher... are there any vapors with those kind of chemicals even though they are diluted a bit with the water?

aenigma
11-12-2002, 05:17 PM
Yeah there will be some vapors.I have used both isopropyl and methanol.The isopropyl left oil crap and had a strong smell.The methanol is very thin so it leaks very easy.It also has toxicity issues....

By the way, do you have a link to this chiller?

Below Ambient
11-12-2002, 05:27 PM
i sure dont... all i know is i traded some parts for it and some guy named drakester made it... its not really super powerful but itll be a nice addition to getting started... i think im just gonna run a 50/50 mix of glycol and distilled water... this thing is going to used 24/7 and not just for benchmarking, so im a little disturbed about the toxicity of the whole setup...

aenigma
11-12-2002, 08:15 PM
Well I don't know how toxic it is really, I have gotten a mouthful of it and had no side effects.If you have a lid on your res, then it should be fine.But 50/50 antifreeze/water would be ok too.Get some pictures of it when you get it :)

Oh by the way, is this guys name Tony Drake by any chance?He was selling some phase change systems that were used commercially, but had an evaporator block so you could mount it to your cpu...

Below Ambient
11-12-2002, 08:59 PM
thats the guy!! you know any specs on it? the guy im gettin it from doesnt really know

aenigma
11-12-2002, 09:31 PM
Nope I don't know much, I have seen pictures of it though.But it uses R134a (yuck).I don't know how good it will work for chilling water, but it should work ok I imagine.I would use it direct die, since it is setup that way.

Below Ambient
11-12-2002, 11:27 PM
r134 is bad?

aenigma
11-12-2002, 11:51 PM
Well it has a pretty high boiling point compared to most other refrigerants.But if your not looking for extreme temps it shouldn't matter.He said that the lowest he has seen was -30c.
But that is without a load, I have no idea what loaded temps are...

|PuNiSh3R|
11-13-2002, 03:43 PM
I'd guess -5C.

Below Ambient
11-13-2002, 04:35 PM
-5 is good for me.... ill just bring the volts :)