PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!!!! WinXP home. cant get at my music files!

Total Immortal
12-05-2004, 10:43 AM
Hi,
having just got myself a lovely new Athlon64 setup i decided it would also be nice to have a clean windows install instead of wading through the reckage of my old one...
I installed Windows XP Homes as normal and told it to leave my current files on my disk to save me the hastel of regathering my music colection.
The problem is that i can't acess the my old accounts files in 'documents and settings' folder because it says 'acess denied' whenever i doubble click on the folder.
I have tryed using safe mode, the recovery console (booted from cd) and linux knoppix bootable cd.
none with any sucess.
The first 2 still say acess denied and the linux cd dosn't recognise my SATA harddrive...

I would realy appreciate any help any one can offer on how to get at my music collection..

I guess what i need is a program which breaks the windows security settings which prevent me acessing it, but despite hours of googeling i still can't find one.

Thanks for any help.

masterofpuppets
12-05-2004, 11:06 AM
What Linux distro and what kernel? You will have better luck using a kernel 2.6 based distro as it has a built in SATA driver. As for the Windows problem, don't use XP Home. Get Professional or 2003.

bxa121
12-05-2004, 11:32 AM
there is a hack me thinks...
when you get to the sign in password at the beginning of windows...
press atl+ctrl+del two times.. you will come up with a change password dialogue.. this is for a new admin account.. leave the password blank and it should work...
i thinks that it or sommit like that ..

i had the same problem.. now i use rubbish Me.

TrIx
12-06-2004, 03:09 AM
that cant work because if you do that then you restart the computer i will have to try does it only work on home or does it work on pro too

Total Immortal
12-06-2004, 09:48 AM
Thanks for the help,
I sorted it now, I created a new account with the same name which overwrote the old one and deleated the files, i then recovered the with an undeleater.. a bit risky but seems to have worked perfectly.
Thanks again for the help... Would love to go for winXP pro, but can't justify the expence when XP-64 keeps being dangled like a carot infront of me.. any idea when or even if it will arive?

edit:
masterofpuppets, i was using Knoppix on the 2.4 kernal