PDA

View Full Version : Win 2K the ultimate benchers OS?

Zeus
12-04-2004, 07:49 AM
Over the last year i've used nothing but Win 2K with service pack 2, mainly cause it gave best 3D mark scores.
Now since i no longer do a lot of 3D marking because of the lack of a good graphics card i decided to give Win XP a go.

Install went very smooth but the benchmark results seems lower all of a sudden.
Sandra's bandwidthtest used to show 5013mb/s at 320x7 with Win 2K, now it shows 4989mb/s.
Also, SuperPi 2m finished at 1min 12sec with Win 2K, now with XP it takes 1min 14 sec. :(

I already set contol panel/system/advanced/performance to best performance.
Am i missing something? :confused:

reject
12-04-2004, 07:56 AM
no baby xp sucks :(

mcnbns
12-04-2004, 07:59 AM
What reject said. Windows XP is so full of useless visual things that it slows everything down. Even with everything turned down Windows 2000 is a faster OS. I actually have a legal copy of Win XP here and I use Windows 2000 instead because it's faster. :)

I have heard that some games do not agree with Windows 2000, but that's about the only reason one might wish to move to XP; that and the System Restore feature (which, I might add, creates another process that runs in the background).

Ubermann
12-04-2004, 10:01 AM
Use Nlite and make your own XP.
Mine has this removed:

nLite optimized - http://nuhi.msfn.org

Components removed:

Accessibility Options
Briefcase
Defragmenter
Games
Internet Games
Pinball
Screensavers
Wordpad
Battery
Cameras and Camcorders
Display Adapters
Toshiba DVD decoder card
Ethernet (LAN)
Firewire (1394)
IBM Thinkpad
InfraRed
Isdn
Modems
MultiFunctional
Multi-port serial adapters
Portable Audio
Printers
Scanners
SCSI
Smartcards
Sound Controllers
Wireless Ethernet (WLAN)
Communication tools
FrontPage Extensions
Internet Connection Wizard
Internet Information Services
Internet Printing
Windows Messenger
MSN Explorer
Netmeeting
Network Monitor
Synchronization Manager
Web Folders
Images and Backgrounds
Luna Theme
Media Center
Mouse Cursors
Movie Maker
Music Samples
Old CDPlayer and Sound Recorder
Paint
Roland SoundCanvas Sound Set
Speech Support
Tablet PC
Windows Sounds
Windows Media Player
Administrator VB scripts
Disk Cleanup
DR Watson
File and Settings Wizard
Framework
Help
Manual Installation
MS Agent
Out of Box Experience
Printer Support
Search Assistant
Shell Media Handler
Tour
Upgrade from Win9x/NT
Web View
Zip Folders
Alerter
Application Layer Gateway
Autoupdate
ClipBook
CTF Loader
Distributed Link Tracking Client
Error Reporting
Fax Services
Imapi
Indexing Service
Logical Disk Manager
Messenger
Remote Registry
Removable Storage
Secondary Logon
System Restore
Telnet Server
Terminal Services
Uninterruptible Power Supply
Universal Plug and Play
Wireless Zero Configuration
Application compatibility patch
Extra Fonts
Input Method Editor
Modem Support
Shell Services
dir_docs
dir_support
dir_valueadd

And it works just great with everything i need.
It should not take more then 90meg of ram after booted up.
Sorry for a long msg =(

Isn't 2003 server best for superpi and sandra ?

Holst
12-04-2004, 10:08 AM
You can get some of that perofrmance back by killing services you dont need, and by making XP look like 2k, without the fancy menu's and stuff.

I still use XP for day to day use as my raid array wont work under 2K.

froudeg
12-04-2004, 10:15 AM
Sandra's bandwidthtest used to show 5013mb/s at 320x7 with Win 2K, now it shows 4989mb/s.
Also, SuperPi 2m finished at 1min 12sec with Win 2K, now with XP it takes 1min 14 sec. :(

Well call the benchmark police!!.... 0.5% slower on sandra the meaningless random number generator and 2% slower on superpi isnt something i'd worry about considering the significantly faster boot times, gaming compatilibility and all the extra features (of which you can turn off if you desperate for that extra 1 - 2 % performance)

Hell if all ya want to do is run synthetic number generators - use safe mode, thats the best way to pull that extra % with sandra/superpi etc

Zeus
12-04-2004, 10:44 AM
Well call the benchmark police!!.... 0.5% slower on sandra the meaningless random number generator and 2% slower on superpi isnt something i'd worry about considering the significantly faster boot times, gaming compatilibility and all the extra features (of which you can turn off if you desperate for that extra 1 - 2 % performance)

Hell if all ya want to do is run synthetic number generators - use safe mode, thats the best way to pull that extra % with sandra/superpi etc

Could be your opinion but since we're at XtremeSystems, some of us do care about meaningless numbers. :rolleyes:

I have to agree the faster boot times makes it a fine OS to work with, so are services like system restore but i want it to be as fast as Win 2K if possible.

Uber, that's quite a list you got there, i will give that program a good look this week, maybe i can undo this XP of some of it's useless features.

Holst, as for services, i already shut some off but i don't want to turn off some services i need and be left with an unstable windows.
But thanks anyway, i will look into it some more.

Geforce4ti4200
12-04-2004, 11:04 AM
can you dual boot win2k and xp? use win2k for benching and gaming and xp when you just surf the net or do mundane stuff that doesnt need xtreme performance. I never had a game that disagreed with win2k and there is no way im touching winxp its bloated and slower :rolleyes:

ZEROKOOL
12-04-2004, 11:37 AM
Froudeg--
are thoes water cooled ram sincinks in your pic?????

craig588
12-04-2004, 12:03 PM
Yep, they are.

Back on topic, I'm trying that nlite program on my win2K CD. I don't feel like reformatting now, but the next time I do I'll check out how much of a performance difference there is between my normal install VS a stripped down one.

Ubermann
12-04-2004, 12:37 PM
A cd-rw is handy.

craig588
12-04-2004, 12:51 PM
Er, for what?

hollywood
12-04-2004, 12:55 PM
Geez ppl...XP IS win2k...if your b|tching and moaning about the performance...learn to turn off the services you don't need.

After tweaking, my XP install only takes up 83 megs of memory. ;)

http://www.blackviper.com

http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm

froudeg
12-04-2004, 02:02 PM
Froudeg--
are thoes water cooled ram sincinks in your pic?????

Yep :)

masterofpuppets
12-04-2004, 03:22 PM
The fastest OS's are Unix based. Windows has lot's of extra fat which is required for it to run. The most basic Unix installation could use as little as 10mb of RAM and take up less than 100mb of HDD space. As a result, it can donate a significant amount of RAM and CPU cycles to applications.

craig588
12-04-2004, 03:36 PM
You can't really bench with unix, people would be using it if there were ATI/NV drivers for it along with versions of 3dmark.

masterofpuppets
12-04-2004, 03:41 PM
Ahem, there's a Linux 3D driver from ATi and nVidia. The ATi driver requires a bit of work to setup, but nothing a regular Linux user couldn't do. Oh, and I think nVidia make a 3D driver for FreeBSD.

craig588
12-04-2004, 03:58 PM
Oh, I heard from alot of people that ATIs driver was absoloutly terrible, and NVs was still a little slower than their windows version.

That still doesn't solve the 3dmark problem. If Futuremark released 3dmark '01 for unix I would have it installed the same day.

reject
12-04-2004, 09:26 PM
would uninstalling all those things make a difference?
when i boot into a clean run from msconfig, im only using 100mb or ram. disable explorer and thats 80mb. but even closing windowsblinds and using classic mode its still slower. its not to do with ram its something else

kryptobs2000
12-04-2004, 10:17 PM
Oh, I heard from alot of people that ATIs driver was absoloutly terrible, and NVs was still a little slower than their windows version.

That still doesn't solve the 3dmark problem. If Futuremark released 3dmark '01 for unix I would have it installed the same day.

ATI's Drivers are crap for linux.. well and windows they are also lol, but their linux drivers are just so bad.

sjohnson
12-04-2004, 10:30 PM
Faster boots can be had in 2k using ntldr and ntdetect.com from an XP install in lieu of those installed by 2k.

I've been using XP ntldr and ntdetect.com on my 2k rigs for months now, NP and they boot fast, like XP.

muzz
12-04-2004, 10:54 PM
Faster boots can be had in 2k using ntldr and ntdetect.com from an XP install in lieu of those installed by 2k.

I've been using XP ntldr and ntdetect.com on my 2k rigs for months now, NP and they boot fast, like XP.

Nice tip!!

Thanks!!

m

Gitsum
12-23-2004, 11:21 AM
What about using Win 2k3 server?

racoontje
12-24-2004, 06:36 AM
Ahem, there's a Linux 3D driver from ATi and nVidia. The ATi driver requires a bit of work to setup, but nothing a regular Linux user couldn't do. Oh, and I think nVidia make a 3D driver for FreeBSD.

Don't start. I use Linux and my GF4Ti (old box) is faster than in Windows, but a freaking x800 is slower than the :banana::banana::banana::banana:ing GF4... You cannot believe how much crap the ATi driver is distilled into one.

mdzcpa
12-24-2004, 06:43 AM
Geez ppl...XP IS win2k...if your b|tching and moaning about the performance...learn to turn off the services you don't need.

After tweaking, my XP install only takes up 83 megs of memory. ;)

http://www.blackviper.com

http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm

Ditto. If you can't get XP up to speed, you're doing doing something wrong.

I dual boot anyway:)

Flib
12-24-2004, 07:22 AM
windows2003 server is faster than windows XP AND windows 2000.
Windows2003 is better in superpi, pifast, sandra memory bandwith than 2000 and XP so I think all other Applications will run smoother, too.

I'm using Server2003 and a new service pack realeased a few weeks ago, but I can't install it, maybe we will get a new performace boost?

Den Leiw
12-24-2004, 09:51 AM
and one thing you shouldn't do is install Service Pack 2 for Windows XP

it installs even more crap on your disk

keepaf1
08-18-2006, 04:51 PM
i have tried using nlite on xp and server2003.but after i have loaded the stripped os i cant get raid0.i have tried alot of different installs.but still no raid0.has anyone had this problem.

G H Z
08-18-2006, 05:49 PM

It's not really the driver it's the underlying architecture in the OS, but I'd still enjoy seeing some bench's done in Unix even if they arn't impressive.

SoddemFX
08-19-2006, 02:46 AM
On my current benchmark system im running windows 2000 in 35MB of RAM, on a 64MB laptop ive had it down to 20MB with as much functionality as i need. Beat that with XP :D

Tom

massman
08-19-2006, 02:52 AM
my superpi tweaked XP os has always been faster than Win2k.

of course, this wasn't only tweaked with nLite ;)

[XC] Malkec
08-19-2006, 03:16 AM
my superpi tweaked XP os has always been faster than Win2k.

of course, this wasn't only tweaked with nLite ;)

Could you tell us more about it? :toast:

massman
08-19-2006, 03:31 AM
Could you tell us more about it? :toast:

get rid of everything you don't need, even fonts

of course this ain't a OS for 24/7 usage ;)

keepaf1
08-19-2006, 03:26 PM
get rid of everything you don't need, even fonts

of course this ain't a OS for 24/7 usage ;)

did you have raid and sli support.?this is what i am having trouble with.

moldava
08-22-2006, 04:28 AM
HI!

my first post here,thanks for all the knowledge and generosity...my experience in xp versus win2000 involves audio production programs,and i found that some Sony Acid projects that don't run at all in xp (optimized to the bones,services killed,etc,but no way) ...well,they run perfect in win2000 in the same machine!
(an old duron 1000 with 512 mb and an old riva tnt 32 mb) ...for me ,this is unbelievable,because i re-discovered win2000 recently...

thanks again!

nike
08-27-2006, 06:29 PM
im usin nlite n im pretty happy ^_^ worxx rly gd, but i guess i did sth wrong again .. so uhm, can we implement registry tweaks into nlite sumhow? never used 2k tho, guess i missed sth rly big ^^^ but i love server2k3 n xp :P