PDA

View Full Version : Modding the OCZ DDR booster

Holst
12-01-2004, 05:48 PM
The DDR booster I won in the competition dosent work with my PSU.. fortron530.
The PC wont turn on...

So I thought id have a look at the booster and try and work out how it works, and see if I can mod it to work with my system...

What do I know so far..

The booster can be split into two sections.

The voltage regulation.
The voltage readout.

The big intersil 7107 chip works out the voltage readout.
This chip uses +5v, -5v + ground

The 4 fairchild mosfets do the regulation.
These draw there power from +5v although it seems that the +12v is used to set the voltage through a resistor/potentiomiter setup.
Im not quite sure how this works yet.

Big question is, exactly why does my system not boot with the booster installed?
It will boost with the booster out of the dimm socket, so its something to do with the motherboard, or a short through it...

What im thinking at the moment is to try and get the system to power on... then engage the booster. Im just not sure how yet.

Tek
12-01-2004, 05:59 PM
I have some issues with OCZ Booster, but not like you do. Mine are probably because of inexperience and not hardware related itself.

Did you clear CMOS + turned off PSU, before starting the whole thing up. Using air cooling on it? You probably did all of that, but I had to ask ;)

If you can take a picture of the setup and post your specs, as it might clear some things :)

It could be the motherboard simply not liking the OCZB.

mad mikee
12-01-2004, 06:21 PM
Is it a DFI UT, I had this problem too. Haven't been back to it since I modded to put in last slot and cap is in the way. Future project.

Quickie pic for you and others to work w/ for tinkerin purposes....
https://home.comcast.net/~mikeehrlich/Madmikeestuff/revocz.jpg

Tek
12-01-2004, 06:30 PM
I have the DFI UT myself, and it boots for me, just not very well. I have the OCZ 520w PSU, though, so Holst is probably right about his PSU.

Gotta try PM the OCZ support dudes, if I can't work around the problems. T1 is an insta-kill for rig, and won't post after setting BIOS to that. Voltage reading are weird too.

Holst
12-01-2004, 06:34 PM
Steve says its my PSU.

Im just trying to find a fix that dosent involve buying a new PSU.

As this PSU is great appart from this booster problem.

ryanpgroovy
12-01-2004, 07:24 PM
Try turning the booster down start all the way off and turn it up after boot.

If that doesnt work I think you might try a replacement booster

OCZeric designed the device , so you might send him a PM

other booster modding notes

the Vdimm display requires a -5 volt input , some ( very limited ) new PSUs dont support this

you need to either invert the +5 to a -5 or some how apply a low amperage -5 to the -5 pin on one of the top molexs ( would need to check it out to show you the pin) to get the display to work .

The voltage regulation should work even with the display not lit up

While I am at it , There is a easy way to mod the booster to run up to 5 volts , by bypassing the voltage divider

Karnivore
12-01-2004, 07:42 PM
The only thing i can think of off hand that sets psu's apart is that some share the 5v and 12v rail might be a start if we could figure out if that is common for the problem supplies.

ryanpgroovy
12-01-2004, 09:19 PM
most of the issues we have with psus is simply lack of the -5 Volt

I would probably try a replacement booster , just in case

EQuito
12-01-2004, 10:00 PM
My booster was replaced at Andy's recommendation but unfortunately I still have the same problem with a TTGI PSU.
Looks like a voltage sensing issue or something like that cause it'll boot if I unplug it and then quickly plug it back.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

TEDY
12-01-2004, 11:15 PM
you guys trying to make booster work on DFI NF2/NF3 ?

Holst
12-02-2004, 06:13 AM
While I am at it , There is a easy way to mod the booster to run up to 5 volts , by bypassing the voltage divider

hehe, I can allready see how to do that mod, although I think 4v is plenty dangerous allready.

Ill RMA this one then before I mess with it any more.
If the replacement still wont work then ill try and find a hardware workaround.

mad mikee
12-02-2004, 07:04 AM
Using fortron 530 on my msi and tried this there, worked fine :shrug:

Holst
12-02-2004, 08:13 AM
Ill RMA it then, thanks for the help.

ryanpgroovy
12-02-2004, 09:25 AM
cool

someone should email eric and figure out the mod for 5 volts on the booster.

Hell-Fire
12-02-2004, 02:05 PM
I wish I had a booster to play around with...I love figuring stuff out.

Christmas list perhaps Muuahahahaha.

jinu117
12-02-2004, 02:29 PM
Have old booster I ain't using and modded by me (err... bunch of resoldering done, etc) Want to play around with it? Waiting for HiPro to do his stuff or something...

blinky
12-02-2004, 03:25 PM
cool

someone should email eric and figure out the mod for 5 volts on the booster.if this mod is published, ill have to get a booster :D

Hell-Fire
12-02-2004, 08:29 PM
Have old booster I ain't using and modded by me (err... bunch of resoldering done, etc) Want to play around with it? Waiting for HiPro to do his stuff or something...

What do you mean that you modded it?? Can you post a pic of it??

BTW, since I dont own one....whats the max voltage available on the Booster??

Piazza0028
12-02-2004, 08:45 PM
it depends on the motherboard hell-fire, check it out here:
http://www.ocztechnology.com/displaypage.php?name=DDRBoostermobocompatibility

Hell-Fire
12-02-2004, 10:41 PM
Roger that Piazza. I figured it was a motherboard specific thing as far as max supported voltage was concerned.

I wouldnt be surprised if this wasnt an issue with either the lack of a -5v or like someone above said about the 5v and 12v rails being driven off the same regulator. There are a number of supplies out there where if you mod the 5v sense it raises both rails.

jinu117
12-02-2004, 11:47 PM
What do you mean that you modded it?? Can you post a pic of it??

BTW, since I dont own one....whats the max voltage available on the Booster??

No idea really, I just reversed the location of mosfets, took out the molex connector things and just soldered it directly on to PCB of booster :) The control knob for voltage is reversed as well. (A trace was lost so I had to bridge it up a little).
It seems to be working fine except not on this enermax so it is not being used atm. And I don't really have plan to relinquish my 660w enermax too soon :)
Let me know if you want it to play around with. BTW, I managed to arctic silver epoxy the heatsinks on mosfets :) I probably can find mosfet part # if you wish to know since I broke one and ordered one to replace it from mouser while back.

Hell-Fire
12-03-2004, 10:44 AM
If you arent using it, might be interesting for me to look it over. I would like to become atleast familiar with it regardless of whether I buy one or not.

I will PM you so we can talk about this further. :D