PDA

View Full Version : Taking modding to the next level!!!

wmandra
11-29-2004, 06:48 AM
Well, I was sitting here bored the other night and had a thought..... So many people put their talent, time, and money into modding their computers, but what about the rooms or workstation area that the computers are in?? I mean, I've seen some awsome looking computers out there, but most of the time they are just placed on or around standard boring desks in standard boring rooms. I think it's time to change all that!!

I have decided to do a complete room mod! Right now I'm open to any and all ideas and suggestions, so nothing will be considered to over the top. I am prepared to do pretty much anything here including constructing walls if I have to.

Some of the ideas I already have are:
1. Construct a false floor and place 1ftx1ft blue Perspex tiles in it and light it from below. (Perspex is basically an opaque acryllic that is suitable for floors and will let some light pass though)
2. Some sort of motorized chair / desk.

Can't wait to hear your suggestions,
Bill

Rippthrough
11-29-2004, 07:47 AM
Put in underfloor heating, but connect the ends to the watercooling on your PC - lets get the PC integrated as part of the room :p: . Instead of one lump in the corner, lets see if you can hide the PC away, or make it part of the fixtures + fittings.

mcnbns
11-29-2004, 08:24 AM
Build your transparent floor and put the computer down under the floor beside the chair. You'll have to make some way so you can get down there for maintenance, and you'll probably need to make some ventilation arrangements, but I think that would be très cool. :cool:

Do you have central air? Maybe you can make a wind tunnel for your comp. :)

That sounds like an awesome project! Keep us posted. :toast:

TheDude
11-29-2004, 09:46 AM
Well....I did something similar a while back. I built my PC into the wall so that all you see from my desk is the front face plate with the drives in it framed with an actual picture frame. The working end of the water cooled PC is in the utility room on the other side of the wall. It has 4 120mm fans on the rad in a push/pull and several other 80mm fans. It is totally silent in the room with my desk in it. The utility room is unheated so that helps my temps. Tomorrow I have a wall mountable 17" LCD coming that I will mount beside it which I bought for under $200 at Staples Black Friday sale. I'll add some pics of the installed monitor later. I will be adding two of weapons shrouds soon and a Y splitter for the dual CPUs water line.

enzoR
11-30-2004, 02:48 PM
thats friggin cool dude :p

aCidbAbY
11-30-2004, 03:12 PM
Well....I did something similar a while back. I built my PC into the wall so that all you see from my desk is the front face plate with the drives in it framed with an actual picture frame. The working end of the water cooled PC is in the utility room on the other side of the wall. It has 4 120mm fans on the rad in a push/pull and several other 80mm fans. It is totally silent in the room with my desk in it. The utility room is unheated so that helps my temps. Tomorrow I have a wall mountable 17" LCD coming that I will mount beside it which I bought for under $200 at Staples Black Friday sale. I'll add some pics of the installed monitor later. I will be adding two of weapons shrouds soon and a Y splitter for the dual CPUs water line.
cool idea i wish i had a house.