PDA

View Full Version : best wireless router out?

ocmyface
11-27-2004, 12:33 PM
i have a linksys wireless-G 54mbps sitting right next to me and its plugged into my comp, but we have a comp downstairs and it gets the worst signal ever, dies constantly and is just painfully slow

whats the most powerful/longest range router available?

ive heard the 802.11i has terrible range but good signal...

i need pretty decent range at good power, any help appreciated

TheDude
11-27-2004, 01:32 PM
Go with SuperG platform over 802.11 and regular G....as far as I know it has most power, speed and range. 108mps...I just ordered a Netgear, but it won't be here until Tuesday. Staples had an awesome Black Friday sale, so I picked up the router for $59 and 4 PCI SuperG network cards for $49 ea.

bachus_anonym
11-27-2004, 01:43 PM
i have DLink DI-624 AirPlus Xtreme G 2.4GHz.
wired 4 PCs + 3 wireless notebooks (2 PCs w/ DWL-G650 cards and 1 Mac /w Airport sth...) spread-out thru 2 floors. most of the locations in my house get 54Mbps with 48Mbps average speed. it's capable of 108Mbps but have no idea how to make it work though... i would say i'm extremely satisfied with it :thumbsup:

Kobalt
11-27-2004, 02:26 PM
my friend has a dl-614+ (802.11b) and his linksys usb adapter or dlink pci 802.11g adapter wont get internet. It connects to the router, and the dlink hits 54mps, but no internet. wtf?

Disposibleteen
11-27-2004, 04:29 PM
your signall might be dying due to interference, i also have this router and my signal is at Excellent 100% of the time, what else do you have operatioing on this frequencey? alot of people use 2.4Ghz wireless phones, these will definatly interfere.

Kobalt
11-27-2004, 05:32 PM
will it interfere if only being used? or always? also...another computer in a different room is wireless...it works...

ocmyface
11-28-2004, 08:03 PM
i have a 2.4ghz wireless phone by the comp downstairs, and i know all about the interference going on there, but i figured id get a 5.8ghz router and just keep the 2.4ghz phone there

Disposibleteen
11-29-2004, 07:28 PM
yea thats the best thing to do, my 2.4GHz phone only interferes when there is an incoming call and someone is on the phone..... i should get a 5.8GHz phone

TrIx
12-07-2004, 01:22 AM
nexer buy d-link they suck iam using netgear for my laptop its the best and works on all ports its has its own dmz port to

Disposibleteen
12-08-2004, 10:43 AM
have any of you guys read about the new 802.11n?? I know for sure belkin has an 802.11n rounter/receiver on the market, its about $160, from what the link below said, it should be pretty sweet!

Here is the Specs on the router (http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=184316)

TheDude
12-14-2004, 04:13 AM
have any of you guys read about the new 802.11n?? I know for sure belkin has an 802.11n rounter/receiver on the market, its about $160, from what the link below said, it should be pretty sweet!

Here is the Specs on the router (http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=184316)

Way over priced imo...my Netgear SuperG was $59 on sale and is running 6 rigs at 108....I'm very happy with it! :thumbsup:

ocmyface
12-14-2004, 05:40 AM
nexer buy d-link they suck iam using netgear for my laptop its the best and works on all ports its has its own dmz port to

really, i was always under the impression that D-Link rocked..
what does everyone else think?

sllywhtboy
12-14-2004, 08:25 PM
the linksys wrt54g is a good router/access point. try changing the "channel" to 1 or 11.

if someone operates the microwave and it's between you and the access point, you will see signal degredation. same with 2.4ghz cordless phones.

what do you have as a wireless client on the other end? how is its antenna orientation?

--slly

Spanky Deluxe
12-14-2004, 09:11 PM
really, i was always under the impression that D-Link rocked..
what does everyone else think?

I bought a D-Link 604+ 11b ADSL router & modem about two years ago for home. I also got two pci wireless cards. I had issues from the word go - my big computer *refused* to get a good connection unless the router was in the same room - may have something to do with it being made out of aluminium?? My router has always crashed when trying to send or receive files over msn and it turns out now that it does the same for any form of video or audio conversations on msn. Its recently got a new bug where devices connected to it randomly lose their ability to browse the net for a few minutes even though you can still ping web sites from the router's in built menu. It does the same thing whether connected with wires or without.

In a nutshell... it's sh**e. I was literally screaming at it earlier and am going to have a look at new ones tomorrow. I've got a Netgear 11g router in my house at Uni and that works a treat - stable as **** and has never crashed once. We mainly use it for wired connections though. Its wireless range isn't great. Actually, the best range and signal strength I've seen is from a 54g Belkin that my girlfriend and her friends randomly picked out in PC World. Its worked fantastically and everyone (in an big old house) have reception. Their neighbours had borrowed their connection for a while because their own router wasn't powerful enough!!

Phil

Disposibleteen
12-22-2004, 11:50 AM
the wireless N router is so expensive becuase its new technology and is supposedly likle 600x faster than wireless G

sjohnson
12-24-2004, 09:50 AM
D-Link has had quality control issues in the past. Get one that works and, well, it works great. Otherwise...

I have 2 D-Link 614+. Err, no 54 Mbps since it's 802.11b but it can double the speed from 11Mbps to 22 with the right PC gear. Anyway, one works a treat and the other crapped out after about 3 months use. Toast. At $29 each at the time, I bought two to have a spare. Good thing I did.

Really don't recommend D-Link wireless routers, their other net gear has treated me well.

sjohnson
12-24-2004, 10:57 AM
BTW, the Netgear "Double-108" wireless router sounds interesting. Check it out at http://www.hardwarezone.com/news/view.php?id=271&cid=6 . The features claimed sound fantastic!

No idea on availability or cost, I just came across the link a few minutes ago.
(Edit) - at the bottom of the linked article,
It is available now via leading retailers, direct marketers, e-commerce sites, and value-added resellers at a suggested retail price of $89.99.

Rix2357
12-27-2004, 09:49 PM
Check out the sveasoft firmware for the linksys router. It has a transmit power setting, which may help. I have not tested it, but just put it at max :D and called it a day. The firmware also has a bunch of other features which really gives some $400 routers a run for their money. The other way is to make a reflector. A flat piece of metal about an inch away from the antenna could also do wonders for your signal strength.

ocmyface
01-03-2005, 12:10 PM
BTW, the Netgear "Double-108" wireless router sounds interesting. Check it out at http://www.hardwarezone.com/news/view.php?id=271&cid=6 . The features claimed sound fantastic!

No idea on availability or cost, I just came across the link a few minutes ago.
(Edit) - at the bottom of the linked article,

im actually going up to compusa today or tomorrow to get this

its gonna have one laptop on LAN and two pcs on wireless

ill let yall know how it works

gkiing
01-12-2005, 11:06 AM
The best/longest range router would probably be a motorola 200mW high output wireless G router along with a 1 watt 2.4ghz amplifier hooked up to a 12+ dBi omnidirectional antenna. With another 20dBi parabolic dish antenna (they can be quite compact) hooked up to your laptop's pcmcia card, you could get 25+ miles with line of sight.

sllywhtboy
01-12-2005, 01:40 PM
The best/longest range router would probably be a motorola 200mW high output wireless G router along with a 1 watt 2.4ghz amplifier hooked up to a 12+ dBi omnidirectional antenna. With another 20dBi parabolic dish antenna (they can be quite compact) hooked up to your laptop's pcmcia card, you could get 25+ miles with line of sight.ever get that feeling you're being cooked from the inside out? :stick: :banana:

back to the thread, most consumer-grade stuff (netgear, dlink, linksys, etc) will have random quality issues. as long as it's got a decent warranty, you're all set.

also, the 108mbit implementations are proprietary at that speed/throughput aka, only netgear cards w/ netgear access point. otherwise, fail back to < 54mbit.

--slly

gkiing
01-12-2005, 04:57 PM
ever get that feeling you're being cooked from the inside out? :stick: :banana:

back to the thread, most consumer-grade stuff (netgear, dlink, linksys, etc) will have random quality issues. as long as it's got a decent warranty, you're all set.

also, the 108mbit implementations are proprietary at that speed/throughput aka, only netgear cards w/ netgear access point. otherwise, fail back to < 54mbit.

--slly

Only microwaves can cook you from the inside out :p

But yeah, for consumer stuff, the dlink 802.11g router (the 108mbps one) is probably the best.

Disposibleteen
01-12-2005, 05:02 PM
i like the Linksys wrtG54, its got alot of firmware upgrades you can do to custimize how your router works and it keeps my connection at Excellent all of the time!

sllywhtboy
01-12-2005, 06:36 PM
i like the Linksys wrtG54, its got alot of firmware upgrades you can do to custimize how your router works and it keeps my connection at Excellent all of the time!i have a wrt54g also. the only time i had problems with it was when i cranked up the wireless output and didn't get enough air to it (semi-closedin area..) wireless kept dropping.

imagine that. overclock w/o any heat dissapation and it dies. :D

--sll

Disposibleteen
01-12-2005, 07:19 PM
i just put on some new high gain antenas on mine and my wireless rnage went through the roof, im getting a huge gain in wireless range, this thing is awesome and never drops my connection either!

jinu117
01-17-2005, 09:53 AM
the linksys wrt54g is a good router/access point. try changing the "channel" to 1 or 11.

if someone operates the microwave and it's between you and the access point, you will see signal degredation. same with 2.4ghz cordless phones.

what do you have as a wireless client on the other end? how is its antenna orientation?

--slly

It is good one but I would suggest super g solution. Even with regular 802.11g card on notebook or pc, and having netgear superG solution, I get different signal strength vs linksys.
(linksys 43-44 at one locaiton, netgear around 52-53% at the location)
Haven't tried linksys super G solution but it should be better than stock 802.11g (atheros chipset drives this values.. :P)
keeping everything super-g will help it even more.
I just moved and this house is having hell of problem going through walls, etc. I have been recycling about 5 diff ideas now and if I can't get the super-g solution worked (at few locations, it is marginal while 802.11g just can't even get it), I might have to look at dual AP solution from Belkin Pre-N. (it is not 802.11n nor compatible with undecided standard) Only thing is, cost will be around $400... (Buggers are expensive... I can maybe understand router but the PCI cards?!)
Funny thing is, my dell notebook has no problem getting signal anywhere in and out of house.... (need to steal dell's antaenna and hook it up to my pci cards eh? :P)

Rix2357
01-18-2005, 12:53 PM
You can build a simple antenna for those pci wifi cards by just buying some rg58 cable rated as close to 50 ohms as possible. To make a half wave dipole antenna, which is what most cards come with, just leave a little less than 1/4 of a wavelength (it's a little less because the waves traveling in the copper wire is 95% the speed of light) of the center core exposed (you can leave the plastic/foam dielectric there if you want to prevent oxidation, but not the metal shield of the coax cable). Works just as well as any dipole antenna you can buy. Then make sure that end of the wire you cut is held vertically since most AP's have vertically oriented antenna. Also helps to move that end of the antenna away from the back of the computer. For even better signal, look up how to build parabolic or corner reflector antennas.

All those antennas that you spend a hundred bucks to buy is just paying for the "commercialized look". It looks nicer because they have rubber injection molding around that wire, or add some tiny fancy reflectors. Those rubber ducky antennas that linksys is selling that claims to have around 6dB of gain is probably nothing more than a 1/4 wave dipole antenna (to make, follow above instructions and replace 1/4 wave length with 1/8 wavelength). Of course, the tradeoff with those antennas is that you get reduced signal when your not on the same horizontal plane as the AP. So signal would be even worse if your AP is on the first floor and you want signal on the second floor of your house.

enzoR
01-22-2005, 03:57 AM
what he said ^

9mmCensor
01-23-2005, 01:12 PM
Look into some hacked firewares. such as... http://sourceforge.net/projects/wifi-box/

Tube
01-23-2005, 02:23 PM
yup the WRT54G is great, gotta love the linux firmware with traffic shaping and all bells and whistles. no matter what you choose, don't get a netgear. died so many times on me before it was replaced.