PDA

View Full Version : Powerstream problems...

Highland3r
11-22-2004, 05:40 AM
First 420w unit was RMA'd as it squeeked under prime load. On certain large fft's it was louder than others, and with fans tunred down smaller fft's produced a squeek as well.

The (new) unit returned today, and yep, still squeeks under prime load. What was interesting was that the line indicator for the 3.3v rail jumped between green and red "in time" with the squeeking. It was reading 3.38 (via dmm) so rail was ok. Ramped it all the way to 3.78v and still the squeek continued. Back down to 3.3 again and still squeeking.
Gonna test it on another NF7 later, but any ideas on the casue?
The mobo IS vmodded (vdd/vdimm/vtt) however the psu squeeks wether the mods are on or off. Will prime with a cheap POS 350w later, but i dont think that'll produce a squeek, ran fine on a 350w antec over summer....

GinTonic
12-02-2004, 11:57 AM
Hi there people

I need some help from you.
I have a client that has an OCZ 420W PSU that makes sibbling sounds under load.
I tested if the noise comes from the fans, but even with them stopped, the sound is still present.
The client has an NF7-S motherboard and I've seen in other forums people with the same problem.
Is that enough for an RMA?Does it afect the pc's stability?Is it something to worry about, or you consider it normal?
I would appreciate an urgent reply by PM or mail to:

telmo.silva@pcdiga.com

andyOCZ
12-02-2004, 06:29 PM
Email sent! Just for the record we can RMA that if your client would like. There have been no failures related to the sound

Highland3r
12-03-2004, 11:44 AM
Forget about this thread, anways, to update moving over to the DFI stopped the squeeking totally... Could it be high load on the 3.3v line? I know the NF7 relies more on the 3.3 than the DFI does, as it uses 5v for a lot of the powering....
Tis a strange problem indeed, especially as it seems to have occured with 3 boards (to my knowlege) now (2 here and GinTonics)...

andyOCZ
12-03-2004, 11:14 PM
I know that the Chaintec VNF3-250 (NF3-250 socket 754) makes a similar noise, but that is the board itself, as it "squeals" like a stuck pig on it's own. Some user's have this condition more than others. My board is not too bad.

Highland3r
12-04-2004, 03:22 AM
It actually seems to be the psu squeeking with the nf7.... moving the psu as far away form possible and listening to it, it was the psu, and not the mobo...

andyOCZ
12-04-2004, 11:19 AM
Roger, I was sure it was the PSU, my comment was more to the phenomenon of "talking " hardware. I willl explore this further and get back.

jinu117
12-06-2004, 12:40 PM
Talking hardware is issue with any combination of things... I've seen it happening with certain PSUs with right (or wrong combination) of mobo/gpu/hdd.
It will be extremely hard to pinpoint which is causing what. Often times, it is more of GPU mobo combo causing it in conjunction of given PSU. Funny thing is, only PSU most likely will emit noise even when offending hardware is not PSU. I myself has found it to be completely random and it comes and goes as hardware setup changes.
Quite bothersome. Sometimes, hot gluing the offending coil helps. but I don't know too many adventurous people who will open psu up when it is running... (especially PC psu which is grounded on case...)

Highland3r
01-24-2005, 06:02 PM
Any updates guys?