PDA

View Full Version : windows update enable

Henning-DK
11-22-2004, 03:32 AM
hello XS ppl.

I need some help here.. At my work, I'm working @ Flextronics int. in Denmark, in their IT dept. and now we kind of :banana::banana::banana::banana:ed up :P
Our users needed a VPN connection ASAP, so we gave it to them, even though we knew that they wouldn't get windows updates or antivirus updates.

Now we have the time to get this fixed, but now we need to get around the domain policy that disables the windowsupdate site www.microsoft.windowsupdate.com

Right now it is disabled via Group Policies, but we need to disable it in order to give our users the ability to work at home using a VPN connection, and not be affraid that they will infect our entire network with virus, due to lack of updates.

Is it possible to write somewhere to the registry, that it should look for updates on microsofts update site instead of our update server ?
And make the Antivirus Software (Symantec Antivirus Corporate edition) also look for updates on the internet instead of our server ?

If you have an answer, but don't think it should be published to a public forum like this, feel free to PM me. We need an answer ASAP.
Our bosses are hanging angry over our little heads, waiting for a sollution.. :)

Sorry if my English is bad.. My english teacher sucked.. ;)