PDA

View Full Version : idea for a new contest...

Entity_Razer
11-20-2004, 04:32 PM
well not so much an idea more a plee for something. Could test also include 2nd bests or something. What I mean is, I like the tests espesially the logo tests (it added a great bunch of logos to my database and some new background :D )
and I like it that artisitcal peopel get a fair change to. But could one of the next compo's include some underpowerd PC's also?

Because not everyone can afford a gig of say OCZ memory or such and 6800 Ultra cards and 600Watt PSU's on a 300$ mobo with 200$ worth of processor on it......

So could a future test maybe have 2nd best prices for us "underpowerd" boys? :D :slobber:

i know overclocking is menth to increase onesspeed/power but if the top machines are gonna OC also.... lol then we have no chance :D

well I'm tired and going to bed now, Cya folks :p and I hope some people feel the same way I do :confused:

HawainPanda
11-20-2004, 10:40 PM
wat kind of competition then?...could u suggest one? i think alot of comps were for the underdogs too..i mean the 3dmark lottery for one....give the logo thing a try..i had little skills..and im learning so much each day doing graphic works

Entity_Razer
11-21-2004, 03:59 AM
true lol I'll see if I can't wip together a little render tonight :)
for ideas.....i'll see what I can think off

HawainPanda
11-21-2004, 09:54 AM
yeah, cool...good luck :D

sky
11-21-2004, 12:27 PM
well not so much an idea more a plee for something. Could test also include 2nd bests or something. What I mean is, I like the tests espesially the logo tests (it added a great bunch of logos to my database and some new background :D )
and I like it that artisitcal peopel get a fair change to. But could one of the next compo's include some underpowerd PC's also?

Because not everyone can afford a gig of say OCZ memory or such and 6800 Ultra cards and 600Watt PSU's on a 300$ mobo with 200$ worth of processor on it......

So could a future test maybe have 2nd best prices for us "underpowerd" boys? :D :slobber:

i know overclocking is menth to increase onesspeed/power but if the top machines are gonna OC also.... lol then we have no chance :D

well I'm tired and going to bed now, Cya folks :p and I hope some people feel the same way I do :confused:

honest to god, you don't need a 1gig ram and an athlon fx55 to do great art. at work (!!) i am using a p3 933mhz with a geforce mx2 440 (or so) and 384mb of ram - been 128mb before i r*ped another office pc ;) - and i spend a lot of time photoshopping and coding flash on it. so no cheap excuses please. some of the best stuff i ever did happened on my trustworthy pentium 90 with an ati mach64 with 4mb videomemory and 32mb main mem. i used this until about 2 years ago.
sorry. but art isn't about the rig you use, but about the skills you have and how you use them. sure it is a little bit easier to work with a 3ghz pc and a 256mb gfx card plus gigs of ram, but the difference to a somewhat slower machine is not that noticeable. right now i'm working on an xp1800 (@default) with 3x512mb pc266 ram on with an ati 8500bba (64megs), although i have a rig that is capable of running what i said before that... - using picasso's brushes won't make your art a picasso - see where i'm getting? ;)

some advice - if you want to enter the logo competition. do sketches on paper until you are satisfied with the shape, then scan them and touch them up with photoshop or some other paint prog. oh and there's second prizes and more...

just my
:2cents:

/edit just saw you mentioned rendering aswell. i also do that on that p3 933. 3dsmax5 - sure it take somewhat longer, but i can always reduce the detail in the working windows or switch to wireframe, and for testrenders i reduce the resolution to 640/480 or less, or just render details. NO EXCUSES! :D

HawainPanda
11-21-2004, 02:28 PM
sky..i think he meant the rig as not for doing the logo contest..but the other contests

tictac
11-21-2004, 08:11 PM
How About Bios Mod Contest ? :toast:

give us 5 bios files...

the best modded bios win....

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

LilGator
11-21-2004, 08:37 PM
LOL, I think you got that category owned tictac ...

Rippthrough
11-29-2004, 07:17 AM
I vote for the "Give the guy with the crappy machine a couple of vapo's and see what it'll do" competition...
I reckon I've got that one sorted. :banana4:

beau_zo_brehm
12-06-2004, 06:15 PM
How About Bios Mod Contest ? :toast:

give us 5 bios files...

the best modded bios win....

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

that sounds awesome, but what if someone submitted a faulty BIOS file? couldnt it damage a system?

STEvil
12-06-2004, 08:51 PM
I liked the competition that started it all.. racing the slow video cards, heh.

Nobody to compete with for top score GeForce 1's.. I havent even but a peltier on it since I decided to torture it heh.

tictac
12-12-2004, 08:42 PM
that sounds awesome, but what if someone submitted a faulty BIOS file? couldnt it damage a system?

how about MSI K8 Neo Socket 939 bios competition... :)

that will be nice :banana:

Firefoxx
12-13-2004, 07:55 AM
How do you think about a xtreme fps per $ Contest, it would be a nice contest to see who can get the best 3D01 Score with less possible money:

Just somethin' like this: Score/$Price on newegg.com= fps per $ rating

The competition should be divided to 3 categories, air&liquid, chiller&pelts and phasechange, DI and LN2.

Give me a feedback, what do you think?

Edit// just these components should be counted: CPU, Mobo, GFX, Ram

STEvil
12-13-2004, 03:20 PM
Would be fun :D

sky
12-13-2004, 03:32 PM
what about a limit like 300$ for everything - except cooling - and the classes would be made by the cooling used?

Firefoxx
12-14-2004, 04:44 AM
what about a limit like 300$ for everything - except cooling - and the classes would be made by the cooling used?

A problem would be that a lot of people already have HDDs etc for the sys, so the problem would be, none will buy a hdd just for this contest, so this is why I prefer not to give a limit of money... People have to choose it theirselves...

A few more feedback..come on :toast:

sky
12-14-2004, 06:02 AM
nah.. i meant the essential core components: mb, cpu, ram, gfx.
the rest doesn't really play into it. a hdd doesn't play that an important role in 3dmark, so it is kinda neglectable. a psu, well that might be something to think about, though with all 4 core components at a tight budget, you may not need a 500w psu, a 350w fsp should do - and those are cheap.

so the challenge with a competition like this would be a) to get the highest score and b) to select your parts wisely. powerful combo of mb + cpu might be bottlenecked by a $15 gfx ...

Firefoxx
12-14-2004, 10:10 AM
Oh well, I understand... Think, this is quite clever concept, how about the others?
U think, we could do a contest like this?

Entity_Razer
12-18-2004, 01:50 PM
it's a nice idea!

I think we'll surly be able to do this :)

Firefoxx
12-19-2004, 07:19 AM
So, maybe someone can open a new topic with all rules for the contest etc. I think we need a leader for the contest...is there anyone wanting to do this?!?

Entity_Razer
12-21-2004, 01:56 AM
Not me :s I don't have the time/ expertise, BTW anyone willing to donate a few prizes to the good cause? =)

I'm so in this one :p

And a good thing we do it now, this'll give my 9200 I have lying around a good run for it's money as my room is just FREEZING cold (Good thing we this gois by priceklass so people with Phase change machines can't own the people without them :p at least not in the same classe =)

D_o_S
01-13-2005, 12:03 PM
I'd do a $ per FPS contest, like Firefoxx said, I'd just like it modified a little:

3 categories:

Lightweight
$ limit 1000USD

Middleweight
$ limit 2500USD

Heavyweight
No limits!!!

A winner for each category should be announced. Benchmarks should be done using FRAPS or in game utility. We have to find a way of justifying answers though...

don_vercetti
01-20-2005, 01:24 PM
well i'd enter that...but how would you measure the fps using fraps? it's too open to malicous alteration.

What would be better is to use something like "Bench'em'all" to run time-demos on Far Cry, Ut2004 and Doom3. That would give an accurate system representation.

kryptobs2000
01-20-2005, 02:56 PM
Well I don't see why no ones thought of it like this. We're talking about contests were you have to basically buy a whole new rig. If someone can't buy a 6800 ultra, or a high end cpu, I doubt they'd want to spend $300+ on a new comp that won't have much use other than a spare comp. or a folding rig after the contest.

DaGoof
01-21-2005, 08:12 AM
DoS's Idea would be too costly, going against the initial motive of the budget idea - I'm totally for the "$300 Race", and I think making it too costly, even as much as 600, would kinda ruin the whole premise...

enzoR
01-21-2005, 10:44 AM
i agree.

Entity_Razer
01-23-2005, 12:08 PM
yhea agreed but it isn't the idea that you're gonna buy a new comp just to win this :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: contest :)

Nazaar
01-26-2005, 03:53 AM
so ..... is there going to be a new competition ?

Entity_Razer
01-26-2005, 11:04 AM
I sure hope so.

At the moment it's freezing cold in my room, I'm estimating a degree or 6,7 IN MY BEDROOM (Celcius of course)

So atm my comp is an overclocking beast :)

total_assault
02-05-2005, 11:30 AM
I sure hope so.

At the moment it's freezing cold in my room, I'm estimating a degree or 6,7 IN MY BEDROOM (Celcius of course)

So atm my comp is an overclocking beast :)
lmao, switch to phase change you will save money by not running the a/c 24/7

zabomb4163
02-20-2005, 10:18 PM
why does the amount of money spent matter if your dividing fps by money spent. if they double your budget then they also have to double your score to compete. Just use the dividing and have people link their parts on newegg so its easy to verify their 3dmarks per dollar.

perry_78
02-23-2005, 11:08 AM
Because if the cooling doesn't count, we'll have sub $100 systems using 3 stage cascades...

The problem I foresee is that not many people are willing to sacrifice such money for a "useless" setup, unless they're building some thing for their parents.

Howabout something like a GF3Ti200 contest? Oh yeah, thats running on a Wilamette P4. I think currently the mid-range GFX competion is at its best, though it is obvous there is THE ONE brand of cards that are FAR SUPERIOR to everything else. Considering its limited to 5000pcs I think that might be rigged in advance to Mr.Icee's advantage, while nice people like me or Andy with our HoHum cards have to vmod to reach what he does without vmods!

Of course even in this section most cards are water-cooled/chilled :D

charlie
03-14-2005, 11:27 AM
I have an idea for a new contest... how bnout we see who can remove the MOST components from a mobo and STILL be able to run a sPi 1M???
With a pair of pliers of course :D
I'm sure there's a LOT of caps, resistors, sound chips, etc, etc.... that can be removed without harming performance!!

Disposibleteen
03-14-2005, 02:37 PM
I have an idea for a new contest... how bnout we see who can remove the MOST components from a mobo and STILL be able to run a sPi 1M???
With a pair of pliers of course :D
I'm sure there's a LOT of caps, resistors, sound chips, etc, etc.... that can be removed without harming performance!!
that would require toasting some mobos, there would have to be a pretty big incentive to destroy a mobo for competition

STEvil
03-15-2005, 12:25 AM
Lol :d

marvt74
03-23-2005, 11:29 AM
Hell i'd be up for that i've an old p3 mobo doing nothing ,

i found nemo
03-29-2005, 01:09 PM
i agree on the $$$ but not 300 cuz i am getting a tight budget computer which is about 430$$$ so i think we should raise it a bit, or people who have computers as long as the computer is under 470-490$$$ and list of hardware is needed to prove the point
but price of keyboard mouse hdd's cd-roms floppy's and monitors should not be included because ppl re use those all the time

isp
03-29-2005, 01:14 PM
lmao Charlie... :hehe:

It's probably been done before but would still be fun imo, racing geforce 3s or ti4200s :)

kappa2001
03-29-2005, 02:51 PM
How about a contest about who mounts a processor faster?
Of course this could be recorded using a webcam or a phone camera for proof :D

:stick:

skate2snow
03-29-2005, 06:54 PM
Actually, did you know that at least 3 of the top ten overclockers are actually pretty poor?... I wont name because that would be very not-polite, and ethetically-not- correct...

Anyway.... contest are something you could get involved into organising? I will probably organise one that will please a few peoples soon though.... Unfortunatly probably have some entry fees... To afford the prices.... BIG prices... with some entry fees of not more then 10$... But I need to talk about this with a few people first...

jkabaseball
03-29-2005, 07:59 PM
maybe a stock vs OC comp and then divide by the price or something.

[XC] moddolicous
03-29-2005, 09:15 PM
What about "who can get the slowest superpi". I have a 486 in my attic just waiting for a slowest competition.

i found nemo
03-29-2005, 09:22 PM
nah cuz then ppl would just be disabling ht and internal cache and getting the slowest ram availible not to mention crappy heatsink to make the cpu throttle lol it would probably break even :) besides i would win with my rig lol...ahh can't wait

Entity_Razer
03-30-2005, 01:55 AM
Yhea I don't have problems with such creative things like slowest, not at all, it'd be quiete funny even.

And entry fees.... As long as it's not Pay-pal payment only I could be up for it IF the prices are good and everyone can win, not just the big players :)

I'm trying to coock up a new idea for a contest also but I'm out of ideas at the moment.

I have one though. But it would requiere everyone to have either a digital camera or a camcorder. it's just make the best "overclocker reqruiting movie/ thingymajig" you can. meaning it can be powerpoint slides with music or it can be a video, or just a collage of fotos....

CD 1986
03-30-2005, 05:33 AM
Hmmm...i like the idea of a budget system competition. How about a budget for just the core components:

CPU, RAM, mobo, video card, cooling

All other parts re-usable from current machines - $400 limit or around that mark?

Then a range of tests / benchmarks done; and have different category winners. Best performance within budget, best performance : price ratio, and runners-up?

:toast:

kappa2001
03-30-2005, 08:35 AM
What about "who can get the slowest superpi". I have a 486 in my attic just waiting for a slowest competition.
I have one too.
But mine would have an hard drive so fragmented ans so little ram that it would calculate 1m in 10 minutes :D

Entity_Razer
03-30-2005, 09:07 AM
WOW

10 whole minutes, I'm sure mine would take at least 20 minutes ....

486 which is dusted over sooooooooooo badly, never has been formatted in ..... say 7 to 9 years and has NO ram :p: (j/k)

It'd still be nice to see though

gloatlizard
03-30-2005, 09:15 AM
it would be beautiful an ''overclock %'' competition:D or the ''vcore default max frequency''....

JuanFlaiter
03-30-2005, 02:52 PM
What about an ECS K7S5A + Processor of choice competition? I wouldnt care on burning an ECS. xD

That would include tons of voltmods and tweaking.

dippyskoodlez
03-30-2005, 06:55 PM
I liked charlies idea of removing components. lol! :D

Hmm.. I would like to see a contest where everyone can compete. without spending much, if any $$.

[XC] moddolicous
03-31-2005, 05:52 AM
I liked charlies idea of removing components. lol! :D

Hmm.. I would like to see a contest where everyone can compete. without spending much, if any $$.
Yea, I agree with dippyskoodlez, if people have to spend money, then you wont get as many people. How about a competition to find out who has the most computers in their house?

skate2snow
03-31-2005, 04:16 PM
The fees are only if things doesnt go well for the prizes....

For sure, I want it the more cost less possible...

isp
03-31-2005, 04:36 PM
I don't know about you guys, but I'm probably out if it would cost more than $50.