PDA

View Full Version : Networking question...

VeryProudOfYa
11-17-2004, 01:49 PM
I have my computer that runs XP Home... And another computer that runs ME... The ME computer has a printer hooked up to it... I share my internet wirelessly through a DSL Router on the ME computer... I was just wondering how I should network the printer so I can print off of my computer (Runs XP Home)... I did the Network Wizard on the ME one and then ran it on my XP one... But both computers dont show up under the Network Places... I was wondering If I had to do anything different since its A wireless Network card... Or do I need to change settings? Does creating a Network Startup Disc ( Floppy ) like carry over settings from the computer it was created on...? Any help would be appreciated... Thanks a bunch :toast: .... A guide or a reply or anything that will help... Bye

TheDude
11-17-2004, 03:21 PM
Did you go into the properties of both computers and share anything? like My Docs folder? Then you should be able to see them both as long as they are both on a network that has the same name...default name is workgroup....then when you can see both machines, go into properties of the printer and share it on the network. It should now show up in network places. then you need to add that printer to the machine that it is NOT installed on to print to it over your network.
Hope that helped you :D

VeryProudOfYa
11-17-2004, 03:57 PM
Still no luck, I dont know whats up... They just dont seem to wanna be "Speaking" to each other... I run the wizards on both, reboot, and still they dont show up... I checked to allow File and Printer sharing on the Firewall... Everythings opened up, its just nothing wants to come in... lol... Ohh well, Ill just move the printer in my room... lol... :toast: If anyone else has any other suggestions though please speak up :toast: ... Thanks a bunch

Kobalt
11-17-2004, 04:13 PM
cant you add the printer in control panel. you have to dl the drivers first. select network printer....example...my dad has the printer and when it assks the address of the printer...i put it \\oemcomputer\epson and it works . you have to install the drivers on your computer first. dont really worry about network setup wizard. and nothing is in my network places cept the original stuff

TrIx
12-07-2004, 01:25 AM
make sure that they are running static ips because its a pin in the ass to try the dhcp besuase the router needs static on all out going ports