PDA

View Full Version : Chillin Water

beau_zo_brehm
11-15-2004, 04:42 PM
Hey, I'm interested in building a water chiller. If I understand properly, it's the same thing as building a basic water cooling setup except that i will be submersing an evaporater in place of a radiator. correct?

will i have to worry about condensation at all? i live in texas, and ambient temperature gets pretty high during the summer.

this is what im lookin at for an evaporater: http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/diy_main/pg_diy.jsp?CNTTYPE=PROD_META&CNTKEY=misc%2fsearchResults.jsp&keyword=air+conditioner&cm_ven=hd_goog&cm_cat=Search&cm_pla=26&cm_ite=bid10086596-window_air_conditioner

do i need anything stronger than that? thanks for the help! :)

gkiing
11-15-2004, 04:53 PM
A 5000btu air conditioner will be plenty. The easiest thing to do is to build a resevoir around the evaporator (the part that gets cold on the a/c, it looks much like a large rectangular radiator). With good insulation you should reach -30c coolant temps, denatured alcohol or windshield washer fluid work best. You will have to worry about condensation, a -30c waterblock on the motherboard is going to gather ice very quickly. The best thing to do is to insulate the hoses with armaflex and the waterblock with neoprene. Make sure you put dielectric grease below the cpu in the socket as well.

beau_zo_brehm
11-15-2004, 04:56 PM
A 5000btu air conditioner will be plenty. The easiest thing to do is to build a resevoir around the evaporator (the part that gets cold on the a/c, it looks much like a large rectangular radiator). With good insulation you should reach -30c coolant temps, denatured alcohol or windshield washer fluid work best. You will have to worry about condensation, a -30c waterblock on the motherboard is going to gather ice very quickly. The best thing to do is to insulate the hoses with armaflex and the waterblock with neoprene. Make sure you put dielectric grease below the cpu in the socket as well.

sounds good... what would u reccomend for a resovoir?

Juicy629
11-15-2004, 06:06 PM
hold up and ill show you a fix for your condensation..check my chiller thread..nice res if you ask me..

beau_zo_brehm
11-15-2004, 06:27 PM
hold up and ill show you a fix for your condensation..check my chiller thread..nice res if you ask me..

mmk....? :confused:

Juicy629
11-15-2004, 06:41 PM
*directs you to my chiller thread* Right above yours

=[PULSAR]=
11-15-2004, 06:48 PM
So let me get this straight to make a chiller all you do is drop the cold radiator part of the AC in the reservoir???

beau_zo_brehm
11-15-2004, 06:54 PM
=']So let me get this straight to make a chiller all you do is drop the cold radiator part of the AC in the reservoir???

if that cold radiator part you are talking about is the evaporater, then, i believe u r correct. :)

gkiing
11-15-2004, 10:54 PM
By the way, air conditioners are tuned for a very high heatload, for better performance you can reduce the charge in them and/or lengthen the capillary tube (lengthening the capillary tube will require more tools and know how though).