PDA

View Full Version : SATA Trouble need advice

Tex10
11-07-2004, 07:14 AM
Need help installing WD 10K SATA hard drive. I am starting to think maybe it is defective. Would appreciate any help.

Specs:Asus K8v Se Deluxe ( supports 2 Serial ATA connectors)
Windows XP Pro
Antec 480 TrueBlue P/S with SATA hotplugs

This is what I have done: Enter BIOS and change CD drive to first boot, Floppy to second boot and Hard drive to third ( note: the HDD is recognized in boot sector).

Checked that SATA is Enabled in BIOS

Install Windows XP Pro (serv pack 1) into CD drive

When Windows screen comes up it ask to hit F6 if you have any third party drivers to install.

Hit F6 to install third party controllers (Downloaded Sata drivers off Asus web site ver. 1.00.0.26 and installed on floppy).

Asked to place drivers into A drive. I select Windows XP Sata drive from list. Drivers are then loaded from floppy but when it finishes it indicates no hard drive found.

Am I doing something wrong or do you think I got a bad HDD.

P.S. the computer works fine with old hard drive

masterofpuppets
11-07-2004, 07:24 AM
Set the SATA mode to Native in the BIOS and reinstall without the SATA drivers. If that doesnt work, set SATA mode to compatible.

Tex10
11-07-2004, 09:44 AM
Set the SATA mode to Native in the BIOS and reinstall without the SATA drivers. If that doesnt work, set SATA mode to compatible.

Don't have that option. OnChip SATA Bootrom [enable or disable] only option.
Below that is OnBoard Promise Controller [enable or disable] when enabled have the options [Raid or OnBoard IDE operate mode]. Thats the only thing in bios i see for SATA.

On start up first thing at the top of the screen reads Sata controllers and Bios not installed.

Also after drivers are installed I am being asked to install Manufacturer- Supplied hardware support disk or Setup program. Don't understand that.

Anyway appeciate any help :confused:

masterofpuppets
11-07-2004, 09:58 AM
Are you using RAID? Just plug the drive into Port 1 (or 2, if 1 is in use) and all should be well. I installed Win2k onto several Asus mobos without the need for drivers, but they were all i875p based mobos. So I'm afraid I cant help any further that what I have already suggested.