PDA

View Full Version : Service Pack 2

mp3blast
11-06-2004, 08:35 PM
hey wats up with all the fuss about sp2 for winXP...is it really needed? What kinda stuff does it add to enhance windows? thanks

Kobalt
11-06-2004, 08:43 PM
it sucks...period. it goes crazy if you dont have antivirus or if you dont use firewall. then when a popup gets blocked a big ass bar comes up. also...it blocks a lot of downloads. doesnt really prevent against anything for the power user. for the illiterate, yes maybe it does stop them from installing gain, but i think we know to hit no when that box pops up:). so just dont use it

Dissolved
11-06-2004, 08:56 PM
um sp2 is fine for me. you can disable the firewall, and warnings.

sparkie34
11-06-2004, 09:06 PM
um sp2 is fine for me. you can disable the firewall, and warnings.

:with: It works perfect for me too.

Aphex_Tom_9
11-06-2004, 10:00 PM
it screwed my secondary system, which was running a brand new install of windows with only a few simple programs on it, i think it's because it's a Prescott 2.8e, ive heard about problems with sp2 and prescotts or something...in anycase, it froze during the install every time i tried it, and messed up my windows install.

mp3blast
11-07-2004, 08:55 AM
yeah ok cool..so im just not going to install it..i dont think its worth while

TheDude
11-07-2004, 09:07 AM
It works great for me too. One click disables the antvirus popup and you never see it again if you don't want to. You can also disable the firewall popup. The popup blocker works fine. You just have to tell it if you want opoups enabled or disabled on a per site basis which is great imo.
It also includes some security patches. I have 3mb down DSL so it downloaded and installed quickly. It has not caused me any issues at all. :up:

Kobalt
11-07-2004, 01:03 PM
while for most ppl it causes no issues, it did not help anything for me and to go through the trouble of dl-ing it and customizing the whole thing...its just not worth it. my uncles computer got totally fuxored by it. a lot of his proggies didnt work.

Aphex_Tom_9
11-07-2004, 01:48 PM
just use SP1a, get good anti-virus, and keep windows up to date on everything else. i do and im absolutely fine.

Nimrod0031
11-08-2004, 11:50 PM
I uninstalled it....the fact that I couldn't get the firewall icon to go away even though it was disabled really ate away at me.

mp3blast
11-09-2004, 04:02 PM
haha, yeah ive decided not to install it on my xp machine

i normalyl use 2k

iljs
11-24-2004, 12:09 PM
If you use IE, im surprised *** **** *** ************ to turn on your pc.

TheDude
11-30-2004, 01:07 AM
If you use IE, im surprised *** **** *** ************ to turn on your pc.

I use Firefox ...IE is Internet Explorer which is a browser....this discussion is about Operating Systems like XP Pro and W2K. Just because IE comes bundled with them doesn't mean you have to use it.
Do you come here just to insult people?

Karnivore
11-30-2004, 01:28 AM
Sp2 works just fine for me, however I did uninstall it after a few weeks, a couple of the new features were very annoying, just couldn't handle it..

As for Browsers, I Prefer IE when surfing known "clean sites" Firefox is my choice for googling and such..

IE still does a few things that Firefox cannot so its not quite as poor a choice as some suggest.. And two days ago my son who doesn't use IE at all had 3 seperate AV warnings as a couple of hijacker's and some other piece of Malware was installed through his Firefox install, when it gets popular as it is now it WILL be exploted.

[XC] moddolicous
12-01-2004, 04:35 PM
If you guys dont like the antivirus/firewall thing, just go to run, type msconfig, first, choose selective under general, then go under service and find security center and uncheck it. That solved the problem for me. I Love Service pack 2

Karnivore
12-01-2004, 05:03 PM
If you guys dont like the antivirus/firewall thing, just go to run, type msconfig, first, choose selective under general, then go under service and find security center and uncheck it. That solved the problem for me. I Love Service pack 2

For me it wasn't security center issues, just don't like the new way they do some things, eventually I'll most likely be forced to use it.

jjcom
12-01-2004, 07:14 PM
It works fine for me. I hardly use IE...I hate MS's popup blocker. It really isn't that nice and it blocks pop ups from clicking on links. Gets annoying so I continue to use FireFox like I always do. OLE I have a larger problem with. it blocks every atachemnt with a .eml extension. that just ticks me off. So I continue to use Thunderbird just like always.

jjcom

TrIx
12-06-2004, 11:26 PM
i have not downloaded it all the people i know warn me against it its not wouth the risk

Disposibleteen
12-10-2004, 08:02 PM
i use it, i disables popup blocker (pointless with firefox), but i left the soft firewall up, didnt see a reason to take it down, it wasnt interfrering at all...

Der_KHAN
12-10-2004, 08:17 PM
i use it, i disables popup blocker (pointless with firefox), but i left the soft firewall up, didnt see a reason to take it down, it wasnt interfrering at all...

it will interfere when running lans

Disposibleteen
12-10-2004, 08:27 PM
i have one set up now and it hasnt interfered please elaborate on why you said this...

masterofpuppets
12-10-2004, 09:06 PM
Karnivore, it's pretty hard to get spyware past firefox. Since it doesn't use Active X, VBScript, and other IE 'features'. I don't really blame IE on spyware infestations, I blame windows. People run IE on mac's with no problems. And I could probably use WINE to run IE in Linux and there would be no problems. Why can't anyone get their head out their a$$ and realise what a mess Windows is? Sure it looks nice on the outside, but have you seen the inside?

masterofpuppets
12-10-2004, 09:09 PM
Oh, and as this topic is about SP2, I will say what I think of that: useless! Wow, it adds a popup blocker and a useless firewall which noone uses anyway. It also causes loads of issues with performance and blue screens. Unless you want to use the worst browser in the world and use an inadequate firewall, just use SP1.

reject
12-10-2004, 11:21 PM
i hate windows xp so much but i forced to use it cause the linux drivers (which there are very little)
arent updated enough and a lot of programs are windows onlymy parents computer has sp2, dont know how tho, must have automatically downloaded it
its annoying as hell if you have norton antivirus and the stupid subscription runs out

Der_KHAN
12-10-2004, 11:40 PM
i have one set up now and it hasnt interfered please elaborate on why you said this...

... strange, when i first installed xpsp2, i couldnt even ping my roomies rig. disabled the firewall and everything was fine.

masterofpuppets
12-10-2004, 11:42 PM
Linux... limited drivers!? Most of the drivers are built into the kernel. It detects my sound card, mouse, graphics (although it requires drivers for 3d), and all of my hardware no problems. About the only driver you will need it graphics driver for 3d mode.

Der_KHAN
12-11-2004, 02:33 AM
yeah, but if you have new hardware you better wait for a new kernel.
cuz installing additional drivers can be a real pita.

reject
12-11-2004, 04:26 AM
games?
most games require a separate linux version which is always released ages later, if at all

masterofpuppets
12-11-2004, 10:37 AM
No they don't. As long as you have a X server which is uptodate, you can just recompile kernel with 3D drivers and run any opengl game. Or if you want to run a DX9 game, you can buy Cedega 4.2 (WINE based games emulator, now supports hl2 out of the box). I think some distros already have the 3D drivers and GART drivers setup, but most distros you have to do this yourself, but if you know how to install a kernel, then it should be no chore.

Der_KHAN
12-11-2004, 01:26 PM
id like to see a performance comparison between hl2 under winxp and wine ;)

masterofpuppets
12-11-2004, 02:08 PM
HL2 doesn't run in WINE, it runs in Cedega, a little difference. It actually runs better iNNn Winblows, but ATi's Linux drivers suck, so do nVidia's too.

Disposibleteen
12-11-2004, 04:43 PM
all of that driver crap you have to deal with in linux gives me a headache....

Masterofpuppets- ive read alot of your posts about why windows sucks and why microsoft sucks and all you have to say is how bad windows is, windows has great features in it and i run it fine (ive never seen the blue screen you say is so proglematic in SP2), we all know your opinion so can you stop touting linux so much and saying windows sucks, let people use what works for them, im going to keep using windows becuase it works perfectly fine for me and your opinion hasent changed my veiws at all.....

masterofpuppets
12-11-2004, 04:53 PM
If linux is only free if your time is worth nothing, how comes 99% web servers run it? Don't you think it's funny that alot of hacked sites run Windows and IIS? Driver problems? Linux supports a wide variety of hardware, and if you don't know how to recompile a kernel to install/enable a driver, you shouldn't be using Linux at all. I don't care if I don't switch people to a decent OS like Linux, I am just stating the truth on each problem. Most problems people experience in Windows are user error I will agree, but alot of problems are Microsoft's programming. And don't argue with me saying that Microsoft has the best programmer, because I will safely be able to brand you an uninformed idiot. I used to have a disk somewhere with Windows 2000 asm and C source. Some of the code was badly written, in fact quite a few files were badly written. Oh, and I'm not saying Windows doesn't have good features. It's simple to use, user friendly, wide software and hardware support. But the negatives outweigh the positives.

Disposibleteen
12-11-2004, 04:59 PM
opinion, all opinion, the only thing thats agreeable with is that windows programmers are not the top fo the line, but it takes a ton of work to make an OS that so widely supports hardware and software, so cut them slack, can i have some examples of these sites? im sure i can give great examples of sites that run unix that have been hacked, as you said before, most webservers run unix so not all of the hacked ones can be windows can they?????

(now im very off topic sorry mods)

masterofpuppets
12-11-2004, 05:05 PM
When Unix sites get hacked, its user error. You can't just install it and expect it to be safe without updating once in a while. But it's indeed much more secure than Windows.

Disposibleteen
12-11-2004, 05:07 PM
(its the same thing with windows) when windows sites get hacked its user error, you can t just install it and expect it to be secure!

jjcom
12-11-2004, 08:41 PM
yeah your correct, you have to update Windows or else its gonna be...bad...same with Linux, just not to the same degree. *nix has its uses and so does Windows. There are many Unix webservers and same for Windows. Both versions get hacked, life goes on. Just have to make back ups and try and avoid the whole problem in the first place which goes right back to update files. I've only seen the blue screen in Win XP a very few times...maybe 3 times? on a laptop with SP1a. It was my fault, I tried a speed step program and messed around with it too many times lol anyway

They both have there pluses. This how I look at it:
Linux: Servers, workstations, office work, basicly company and worker use
Windows: Gaming, user friendly, graphics editing etc, less trouble some with drivers and updates etc

jjcom

masterofpuppets
12-11-2004, 10:12 PM
Linux IS NOT just a server OS. Haven't I got my point across yet? I use Linux for everything! Including gaming and benching.

dutchman.pt
12-11-2004, 10:44 PM
SP2 works fine here.
My only issue with it is the fact that after i installed it, my Pinnacle PcTvPro (Tvtuner card) stoped working because the software that i use with it crashes every time i initialize it. :(
The rest is totally five stars. :)

Dissolved
12-11-2004, 10:46 PM
Linux IS NOT just a server OS. Haven't I got my point across yet? I use Linux for everything! Including gaming and benching.

why do you have to turn every windows OS thread into a Linux Debate?

Not all people have the time to learn Linux, or want to fuss with it.

On Topic..

ive been useing SP2 for weeks and im VERY Pleased with it. system seems to run a bit better then sp1.

jjcom
12-12-2004, 09:10 AM
yeah SP2 seems to be great. At first I was little annoyed at some odd messages that came up...I just answered them and they haven't come back so I'm happy. The firewall ain't badeither..

jjcom

Kobalt
12-12-2004, 10:54 AM
if it were easier to game in linux, i would throw my windows cd's in the trash....but until a better os is made, ill have to use winblows.

Disposibleteen
12-12-2004, 04:35 PM
Originally POsted by Dissolved
why do you have to turn every windows OS thread into a Linux Debate?

Not all people have the time to learn Linux, or want to fuss with it.

Thank you sir for recognizing what i have been seeing... This topic is about SP2 not linux

More on Topic...
i wonder why SP2 seems to not be very compatible with some drivers.....

jjcom
12-12-2004, 04:38 PM
Microsofts added "protection" sometimes can cause issues...at least you can use drivers that haven't been signed by microsoft. Think of how much trouble that would cause. So far, SP2 doesn't seem to bad. I've been using it and its just given me a few small problems...that were easily fixed. So for some SP2 seems nice, but I wouldn't reccomend putting on a mission critical system (servers...) but other wise it seems nice enough

jjcom

Disposibleteen
12-12-2004, 06:58 PM
yea, servers should run the most stable thing out there, i like windows server 2k3 if you can afford it

Der_KHAN
12-12-2004, 08:30 PM
yeah i wouldnt run a server on xpsp2 either. maybe because its pointless to run one on xp at all :D

Disposibleteen
12-13-2004, 10:51 AM
unless its a personal media server of course...

masterofpuppets
12-13-2004, 11:24 AM
I wouldn't use Windows as a server at all tbh, but I would consider 2k3 Enterprise Server over XP SP2 any day.

Jamo
12-27-2004, 01:53 PM
i run sp2 and IE as my web browser, i also run a virus check everyweek as well as an ad-aware scan, not had any probs so far

masterofpuppets
12-27-2004, 03:53 PM
Oh comeon! Scrap IE! I think everyone will agree with me here. Get firefox from the link in my sig! Get firefox! The power of ignited foxes compels you!

iljs
12-28-2004, 02:48 AM
They use Linux for servers cause it doesn't hog resources. Translating server talk to desktop talk is a weak point.

masterofpuppets
12-28-2004, 09:15 AM
Saying Linux is a server-only OS is blasphemy!

Kobalt
12-28-2004, 09:47 AM
IE is racked full of spyware. Youve got to be on something to still be using it

Kanavit
12-29-2004, 05:37 AM
SP2 works perfectly fine on both my systems. SP2 recognizes 64-bit address extensions on my A64s, supports nx bit security buffer overflow, improved firewall, wireless features, dx 9.0c, intergrated pop-up blockers, piracy protection, update, and enhanced virus protection software.

I like it. SP2 is free btw.

Der_KHAN
12-29-2004, 06:42 AM
i have driver issues with sp2.

whenever i reboot my rig i have to disconnect my microsoft FF wheel and plug it in again to work

friend of mine has to do something similar with her elsa 56k modem

Karnivore
12-29-2004, 06:58 PM
SP2 works perfectly fine on both my systems. SP2 recognizes 64-bit address extensions on my A64s, supports nx bit security buffer overflow, improved firewall, wireless features, dx 9.0c, intergrated pop-up blockers, piracy protection, update, and enhanced virus protection software.

I like it. SP2 is free btw.

LOL, you sound like a Microssoft Infomercial :D

megahurtz-oc
12-29-2004, 07:33 PM
my games run way smoother with sp2:) stripped down that is.

jjcom
12-29-2004, 08:20 PM
It didn't cause any difference...just an annoyance at first. Then I got the AN7, so I did some type of Windows reinstall and now its gone. Back to SP1a and I don't notice a difference. But the SP2 options are still on the Control Panel...don't work but still there lol

jjcom

masterofpuppets
12-31-2004, 11:04 AM
You SP2 lovers must be severly slow in the head to think SP2 is "OMG PERFORMANCE OMG MICROSOFT!!1". It contains lots of useless bulk which kind of, well, makes it slow in theory and even slower in practice.