PDA

View Full Version : Possible LN2/DI "adventure"

Highland3r
11-06-2004, 04:54 PM
Where is the best place to find out information on DI/LN2 benching? What insulation, containers are required. Are the techniques different to other cooling?

Hoping to get my unis computing dept to join forces with chem and engineering to have a go at some extreme cooling :) There appears to be a plentiful supply of LN2 available, and it seems a waste not to use it ;)
Basically I'd like to be able to approach each of the areas knowing exactly how it would be carried out, and what kit would be required :D

Thanks for any help/advice :D

LardArse
11-08-2004, 03:32 AM
Basically a metal (preferably copper/aluminum/brass) container that can be mounted onto the CPU, lots of insulation, styrofoam cups, and some steady hands to pour the LN2 into the container....

Highland3r
11-08-2004, 04:08 AM
Basically a metal (preferably copper/aluminum/brass) container that can be mounted onto the CPU, lots of insulation, styrofoam cups, and some steady hands to pour the LN2 into the container....

LOL you make it sound so easy :)

Have been doing some reading, would you say its easier to try with DI first then move to LN2? Also you cant use a DI container with LN2 can u?

LardArse
11-08-2004, 04:14 AM
Sure you can as long as the design is sound. DI need not come before LN2 since the mode of toping up is so different, it would not give you that much more experience.

JacobHansen
11-08-2004, 04:21 AM
If i were you, i would start out with the dry ice and then when you are feeling confident enough with it, then you should move on. NOT before.. Liquid Nitrogen is XTREMELY DANGEROUS. If you get some of it on your hands you can say goodbye to you beloved .. Were gloves, foreksample welding gloves or ordinary working gloves .. And use protection glasses and a mask.

And before you start up, read alot more about the diffrent Xperiments that have been shown here at xs.org.

And always remember to ask if you have a question. That way you will live longer.. hehe. There will almost always be someone to answer..

LardArse
11-08-2004, 04:27 AM
I think one of the challenge is pouring amidst the thick smoke... You can't really see it being poured out...

JacobHansen
11-08-2004, 04:29 AM
hehe - I just put in a "big" fan to blow the smoke away while im pouring.. Thats always a good reason for being 2 while workign with LN2.

Highland3r
11-08-2004, 04:44 AM
Thanks guys, will get reading (once the coursework is done) and see whats requried.