PDA

View Full Version : Need Firewall Software

=[PULSAR]=
11-06-2004, 02:00 PM
OKay I keep getting hacked over and over again, stealing all my account info for everything, I dont know by who. I'm trying Zone Alarm Pro now, anyone know any other good ones?

perkam
11-06-2004, 05:59 PM
Thats nice, but if you had just made up an excuse like:

"I cant do benchies :( because I get hacked all the time " cry cry cry

or something like that, you could have been able to post this thread in the Xtreme Overclocking forum in which you dont have to wait a week to get decent answer like in this little known forum. :D

Perkam

TheDude
11-06-2004, 08:25 PM
See if you can find an old copy of "Atguard". It isn't supported anymore because I think Norton uses it's code now for their firewall, but I've used it for years and it's very good. I like "Tiny Personal Firewall" also. There are lots of them out there these days...try some trials until you find one you like. Make sure it protects from incoming AND outgoing traffic. Also some good Trojan protection is a nice thing to have.

perkam
11-06-2004, 10:44 PM
I'm trying Zone Alarm Pro now

ZoneAlarm Pro is a pain in the a$% to un-install. As a matter of fact, I've had to re-intall Windows because its engine had some system files up for quarantine and when I uninstalled it, Windows was super unstable and I had to fiddle with the registry to fix it. But the damange was done.

Make sure when you're installing a new antivirus that you go to the website and read the uninstall faqs CAREFULLY.

As for choice of Antivirus, I got so upset by using Norton, Macafee and PC-Cillin that I just use two online free versions and it serves me fine. But Antivirus software is NOT the only answer, iF you want full and totally free protection, get Adaware and Spybot and use Trend Micro's Online Houscall and Panda Software's online Actice Scan.

I do it once a month and i havent seen an intrustion or a pop-up for that matter in months.

Perkam

notoriousformula
11-07-2004, 08:43 AM
Sygate PRO 5.5 :)

winterburnd
11-08-2004, 04:07 PM
Could it be spyware on your computer?

masterofpuppets
11-09-2004, 09:23 AM
Get Linux. Firewall features built into the kernel :) And its a hell of a lot better than any windows firewall.

NWEng
11-09-2004, 09:30 AM
Another vote for Sygate. Stupid question, but you are using a router/firewall (with SPI) as well, aren't you?

:rocker:

sky
11-09-2004, 11:33 AM
sygate all the way. been using it for a year or so now.. great stuff! a while back it was the one of the few firewalls - and the only free one - that couldn't be shutdown remotely. that's the reason i chose it.

=[PULSAR]=
11-09-2004, 11:35 AM
Okay I'm downloading Sygate now, I'll post back with my opinion.

=[PULSAR]=
11-09-2004, 12:09 PM
Well I'm testing it out now and I think this is a great product as far as programs are concerned. I want to see what happens when someone trys accessing my machine.

sky
11-09-2004, 01:41 PM
i managed to kill nearly everything with an almost bsod crash. the explorer gone, most icons gone, systemtray empty, taskbar empty, yada yada... the firewall was still up - and i couldn't crash it - the icon was gone and i couldn't get into it. so i tried to kill it via taskmanager - to no avail. good stuff.
i might check the current versions though - been using 5.0 build 1150 all this time now.

Dissolved
11-09-2004, 01:58 PM
ZA PRO is good if you know how to use it. ;)

Sygate, and Tiny are always good too.

But since your being "hacked" all the time, i would change all your passwords, GET A ROUTER with nat, virus scan, and spyware removeal programs.

PC-ICE had a Program getting hacked too, i got him a decent Router and i havent heard him complain about hacking since.

But you always take risks going online, just gotta get smart enough to protect yourself. Hope you get protected xD

Gi0
11-09-2004, 08:07 PM
If u re able to follow what masterofpuppets says,i think its the best!
Having said that,i vote kerio personall firewall!