PDA

View Full Version : Another "Need PSU Advice" Thread

Neutraleyes
11-06-2004, 08:08 AM
Hi,

Well long story short-- My Antec SL350 350w SmartPower PSU is no longer up to the task of powering my system now that I have a eVGA 6800 Limited Edition (aka 6800 Ultra) in it. So I need a new PSU, but price is definitely a factor (i.e. I don't want to spend more than $90.) Another factor is that I want future-proof..which means 24-pin ATX..which means more expensive. I've been looking at the Fortron/Sparkle PSUs on Newegg, but once you factor in a 24pin-to-20pin and 8pin-to-4pin adapter they're far too expensive.

Anyway I just ordered a Tagan 480W, which includes the adapter, because I've read it's a great PSU and that Tagan produces PSUs for OCZ (i.e. Powerstream.) It's not too late to cancel though being as it won't be shipped til Monday.

Basically what I'm looking for is either justification for my purchase ( :stick: ) or recommendations for something better in the price range...

Specs:
Abit NF7/Mobile 2400+ @ 2.5, 1.95v/1x WD1200JB HDD/1x CDRW/DVD combo drive/ 6800 Limited @ Ultra/SBLive/PCI 802.11g card

Thanks a lot!

PyroTeknik
11-06-2004, 08:53 AM
just spend a bit more and get the powerstream that is the best option. but if you dont want to spend the extra dough you have made a good choice

Beenthere
11-06-2004, 09:26 AM
You'd be hard pressed to find any PSU to match this 470W Silencer which has the 24 pin ATX plug and is $99.

http://www.pcpowerandcooling.com/products/power_supplies/ultra_quiet/silencers/index.htm

masterofpuppets
11-07-2004, 03:52 AM
How did I know at least one person would recommend the Powerstream. You cant go wrong with a PC Power & Cooling unless you get an early Turbo-Cool 510 Deluxe which had some problems. New ones, fortunately, are much better.

TheDude
11-07-2004, 04:29 AM
I agree with masterofpuppets...throw in a few bucks more and get the best! My 510 PCP&C is the best PSU I have ever had....solid as a rock! I paid $120 for mine a year ago. i don't know how much they are now but shop the price and you may do better.

masterofpuppets
11-07-2004, 04:45 AM
Yay! Someone agrees with me! You payed $120?! I had to pay bloody £165 for my Deluxe.

Beenthere
11-07-2004, 07:42 AM
I don't believe there ever was a problem with 510W PCPC PSUs. There was a thread where someone improperly tried to measure ripple with a scope and then concluded there was a problem, when in fact no problem actually existed. PCPC PSUs are literally the best PSU money can buy and they are priced equal to or lower than the hyped PSUs that the volume sellers like New Egg and others sell. The high volume sellers sell the off-shore PSUs with much fanfare because they have a higher profit margin on those PSUs than if they were to sell the higher quality PCPC PSUs. PCPC cuts out the middleman to give you better quality and performance for the same price as the low quality off-shore stuff.

Neutraleyes
11-07-2004, 08:26 AM
Thanks for the suggestions guys, it looks like PC Power and Cooling is the way to go. How do the Silencer series compare to the Turbo Cool? I notice the Turbo Cool 425 is $149 on the PCP&C site while the Silencer 470 is $99, what gives? I take it there's a more difference aside from fan speed here.

TIA

TheDude
11-07-2004, 09:15 AM
Wow...either they went up or I caught a great sale at Directron on the 520w (non deluxe). I'd go for the 520w if you can afford it. I don't know enough about the other 2 to have an informed opinion.

Neutraleyes
11-07-2004, 09:42 AM
The 520w isn't really an option, I'm still hurting after my purchase of the $350 6800 card.

Also, my cousin is relentlessly telling me to get an Enermax Noisetaker 470w, he seems to love his like a son. (Or maybe like a wife :stick: ) Any opinions on those PSUs? I know a lot of people say to avoid Enermax like the plague, but who knows, this could be different.

Sigh... 3 days ago I began an epic quest to find a power supply, at that point with a budget of $60, and I was about to pull the trigger on a TTGI, when suddenly I decided to do a little bit more research..and here I am, no closer to my goal, and my budget has magically expanded to $100. :rolleyes: :p:

At this point I'm seeing the Tagan as the best price/performance, for about $80, and I've read they produce PSUs for the powerstreams, so it has to be pretty good. OTOH the PCP&C intrigues me, but my wallet has become sentient and is screaming at me from my pants pocket to stop tormenting it.

Neutraleyes
11-08-2004, 03:32 AM
Just an update - I got a Fortron/Sparkle 550W (~36A on the +12, yummy) for $85 + some adapters for another $15. I found out that the PCP&C Silencer PSUs are made by Seasonic, they are not up to par with the Turbo Cool series, but are by no means a bad PSU. Still, figured I would stick with something I knew was really reliable and powerful, so I went with the FSP... now if only I can hold off spending more money on my PC so this christmas I can buy myself something for my PC... (how's that for logic!)

Thanks for all the help guys... I like this forum more every time I visit. Too bad I read a lot more than I talk, or I might have more posts...

Beenthere
11-08-2004, 06:45 AM
The Turbo-Cool models hold line voltages in the 1% range particularly on the 3.3V rail where the Silent models hold 3% line voltages as the PC Perspectives review showed. The tighter you hold the line voltages the more expense the PSU becomes.

Perc
11-14-2004, 08:47 AM
those damm PC&C turbo cool deluxe and express models are 200 plus dollars on that site!!! thats just crazy, i can rember them being like 149 last yr what the hell happen? so much for me buying one of those! another antec true control 550watt is looking beter and beter for the low price of 109 bucks....

peace perc,