PDA

View Full Version : Learning Linux In A Day

DudeMiester
11-05-2004, 11:32 PM
I need to learn this OS for a job I have an interview for. I'd really like to get this job, so I'm hoping to impress with my 1337 learning abilities. I'm using the Knoppix 3.6 Boot-CD distro to start. So:

What are the most important things I should know about using linux? Just give me a non-obscure/confusing list, cause I'm pretty good at figuring something out once I know it's there. If you want to go all out with descriptions, links and whatnot, I'm not stopping you, so go right ahead!

Thanks in advance!

sky
11-05-2004, 11:47 PM
for one thing. if you really want to use knoppix to its fullest, hd-install it. a script called knx-hdinstall should come with the knoppix version you got. that way you can install it to your drive.
then, if you never had the pleasure of learning dos, get a list of the most basic / important shell commands (some are like dos, ...), because that's where you'll spend a lot of time ;) figuring how to install new programs, etc..

oh linux.org might be a good place to start looking.. howto's and all

Occidere
11-07-2004, 06:58 PM
Just give me a non-obscure/confusing list, cause I'm pretty good at figuring something out once I know it's there.

:rotf:

I wish there was such a thing, linux isn't easy at all to learn, it takes alot of looking around to find something focused towards beginers and even then it can be difficult to get a foothold. I believe theres some gui distro's that you could probably install and "learn" in a day but whats the point? I don't know squat about my debian distro but I do know it's an ongoing process that can't just be handed to you.

masterofpuppets
11-08-2004, 04:53 AM
I learnt Linux in a couple of weeks. It's not too hard if you try hard enough. I would install a distribution such as Slackware, Debian or Gentoo, but I always recommend stuff thats way too advanced. Read through the 'man' pages (type man followed by a command in a shell) to get a good understanding of Linux commands.