PDA

View Full Version : Speak Freely And Wampateers

Kazoo
11-03-2004, 01:18 PM
Are closed until I have time to clean up all the crap posted in there today. Enough is enough. Many of you have disappointed me today. This website does not have divisional lines around the world, nor will we allow that to happen. We are united in a common goal to be Xtreme without regard to politics.

I sincerely hope when I reopen those forums, you all remember that.

Thank you,
Kazoo

IČK
11-03-2004, 01:25 PM
As i said in another thread. Don't take it that serious. Just kidding. :D

NWEng
11-03-2004, 02:00 PM
Rather than deciding what is and what isn't acceptable in the "Speak Freely", please shut it down in it's entirety and let's stick to technical forums only. A "Speak Freely" forum in which you cannot "Speak Freely" serves no purpose and is a waste of disk space. Thank you.

:rocker:

Iridium192_217
11-03-2004, 02:08 PM
Rather than deciding what is and what isn't acceptable in the "Speak Freely", please shut it down in it's entirety and let's stick to technical forums only. A "Speak Freely" forum in which you cannot "Speak Freely" serves no purpose and is a waste of disk space. Thank you.

I disagree. I think SF does serve a good purpose. It should be expected that things get a little more flamey during an election.

Kazoo
11-03-2004, 02:09 PM
You are correct, speak freely is not completely free speech, we don't allow you to call each other retards and idiots -- forgive me for apparently not making that sufficiently clear in the forum rules. I will work on rectifying that.

Flash777
11-03-2004, 03:05 PM
Thats why I like this forum theres no flaming ect
people says hi when you first get here
and it's cold in here :)

RootX
11-03-2004, 03:24 PM
According to my opinion the only major disadvantage in sections like these, is the fact that none of the "arguing parties" ever admits that they're wrong. They only post to make their points and noone tries to gain something from the conversation. I've never seen anyone saying "sorry m8, u got a point there, I got it all wrong".... Which make a conversation pointless.

Tedinde
11-03-2004, 04:04 PM

I remember when i used to Mod speak freely, I'd let everything slide cept personal attacks and Racial, www.genmay.com is the place for that. But it's the admins rules here.

lalPOOO
11-03-2004, 04:12 PM
Tedinde, for the most part, thats what we do.
I2k, theres rules, and they must be followed. Thats really all there is too it.

Iridium192_217
11-03-2004, 04:20 PM
I remember when i used to Mod speak freely, I'd let everything slide cept personal attacks and Racial, www.genmay.com is the place for that. But it's the admins rules here.

Somethingawful.com is cool too :cool:

Lithan
11-03-2004, 04:37 PM
Ahhh. I thought I had just been banned which confused me quite a bit, since there haven't been any confrontations in the past couple days.

As for the it being fair game except personal attacks and racism. I do recall getting a warning for mentioning that I felt the UN's support of the formation of the nation of Israel was a mistake on their part; which I was in turn called a Nazi and told I should be spit on for. The warning was if I recall for "inciting" the person who called me a nazi by plainly and honestly stating an opinion that I feel was very rational and in no way racist.

I get in my share of heated discussions, but I think more care should be taken that conflicts of this sort are viewed objectively without consideration for a person's proclaimed racial indignity, staged or genuine.

hollywood
11-03-2004, 05:23 PM
Bah...the election is over...Thank goodness as this year was scalding hot :toast:

Back to the SICKNESS!!!!! :banana: :banana4: :bananal: :rocker: :thumbsup:

Kazoo
11-03-2004, 07:17 PM
Wampateers is now open.

blinky
11-03-2004, 11:27 PM
just a quick Q, what the hell does wampateers foma and granfaloons mean??????

someone do too much acid in the 60s?

bachus_anonym
11-03-2004, 11:35 PM
there is a book by Kurt Vonnegut - " Foma, Wampateers and Granfalloons"....

Karnivore
11-03-2004, 11:36 PM
just a quick Q, what the hell does wampateers foma and granfaloons mean??????

someone do too much acid in the 60s?

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=wampeters+foma+and+granfalloons&spell=1

bachus_anonym
11-03-2004, 11:37 PM
"The title of this book is composed of three words from my novel Cat's Cradle. A wampeter is an object around which the lives of many otherwise unrelated people may revolve. The Holy Grail would be a case in point. Foma are harmless untruths, intended to comfort simple souls. An example: "Prosperity is just around the corner." A granfalloon is a proud and meaningless association of human beings. Taken together, the words form as good an umbrella as any for this collection of some of the reviews and essays I've written, a few of the speeches I made."

saaya
11-04-2004, 12:50 AM
I remember when i used to Mod speak freely, I'd let everything slide cept personal attacks and Racial

hows that different from how speak freely has been modded recently? :confused:

sorry in case i went to far and offended anybody in a political thread :toast:

mdzcpa
11-07-2004, 08:05 AM
I remember when i used to Mod speak freely, I'd let everything slide cept personal attacks and Racial

And that's the way it should be!

hows that different from how speak freely has been modded recently? :confused:

Oh, beleive me, it's definitely being modded differently. After over 2 years posting here without a single incident regarding the content of my posts, I've just been censored there for language used that was, in the moderator's opinion, "antagonistic". There were no direct flame. No name calling. Just "antagonistic" language. :rolleyes:

Bottom line, if its something the mod doesn't feel should have been said, it will be censored. They should just dump the Speak Freely forum at this point. Its useless if you cannot post emotion provoking language.

Karnivore
11-07-2004, 08:26 AM
And that's the way it should be!

Oh, beleive me, it's definitely being modded differently. After over 2 years posting here without a single incident regarding the content of my posts, I've just been censored there for language used that was, in the moderator's opinion, "antagonistic". There were no direct flame. No name calling. Just "antagonistic" language. :rolleyes:

Bottom line, if its something the mod doesn't feel should have been said, it will be censored. They should just dump the Speak Freely forum at this point. Its useless if you cannot post emotion provoking language.

Your post was moderated by an admin, not a moderator. You do need to realize, in current state SF&W are returning after a full closure. So ATM, those portions of the forum are still just a bit tender, and being cared for as such.

Another thing to take into account, membership here has grown dramatically since the "remember whens". With growth, comes change, these changes are not always realized immediately, hopefully they will be for the better. Another point, rather then a public gripe about "being moderated" a quick pm noting your concerns would be a much more tactfull aproach.

mdzcpa
11-07-2004, 09:02 AM
Point taken on the newly re-opened forums. I do appreciate what the admins are trying to accomplish given the wild west state of affairs that was afoot not so long ago. I was hoping for a bit more control back in those days:)

I just wish I was informed of that reasoning when the PM was sent to me in the first place regarding my post content. Instead I receieved a blanket criticism and request (more like demand) to change my language because it was felt to be "antogonistic". It was something I thought was quite mild and quite subjective. I plead my case via PM....and lost. What else can I say?

I admit that I probably did not plead my case well. But, when you ask someone to censor the expression of their opinion on a hot thread like that, without any reason besides the admin doesn't like it, you gotta know what kind of response your gonna get.

Anyway, nuff said. My apologies. I'll just stay out that forum.

Kazoo
11-07-2004, 10:16 AM
According to my opinion the only major disadvantage in sections like these, is the fact that none of the "arguing parties" ever admits that they're wrong. They only post to make their points and noone tries to gain something from the conversation. I've never seen anyone saying "sorry m8, u got a point there, I got it all wrong".... Which make a conversation pointless.

RootX you hit the nail right on the head, and exactly what our goal is to change in speak freely. Currently, that section of the board holds no purpose, since it seems only to create ill will towards fellow members.

While the topics in speak freely are hot, and create strong emotion for many, everyone needs to keep in mind that all are entitled to their opinions, right or wrong. The way to change anothers opinion you feel is wrong is not through antagonism, but through respect of the others right to an opinion. That is all we are asking.

Mdzcpa, I sincerely apologize if I offended you, as that was not my intent. I would ask however, that as a senior member of this forum you would help us to lead this initiative, which will make this a better forum for all.

mdzcpa
11-07-2004, 03:05 PM
Mdzcpa, I sincerely apologize if I offended you, as that was not my intent. I would ask however, that as a senior member of this forum you would help us to lead this initiative, which will make this a better forum for all.

Thank you for the apology. The more I've looked into what has transpired in the speak freely section recently the more I understand what your faced with. I will indeed do my best to tone it down and lead by example. My apologies as well:toast:

saaya
11-11-2004, 11:42 AM
glad it all calmed down and i hope people will read and think about others opinion more and not just post their opinions and feel like they have to defend their point :)

Iridium192_217
11-26-2004, 05:38 PM
Anyway, nuff said. My apologies. I'll just stay out that forum.

Don't leave! Your post quality is second to none.

9mmCensor
12-18-2004, 02:57 PM
thanks.

about time

lalPOOO
12-18-2004, 09:04 PM
what are you talking about?

sky
12-19-2004, 08:36 AM
i just don't hope he's commenting on mdzcpa statement to leave this section alone from now on...

Kazoo
12-19-2004, 10:53 AM
9mm -- Speak Freely has been reopened for months, you just no longer have access to it.