PDA

View Full Version : Future of Socket 478

Pomme
11-01-2004, 09:34 AM
Hi,

First of all, thanks to all of you for this great forum ! I've been lurking around here for about more than a year now i guess, and learned so :banana: :banana: -ing much from you guys. :toast: I gained so much knowledge that i use in my job as a pc / server technician.

I had a question regarding socket478 and its future. How much longer is this socket gonna hold up, or in other words: how long will we still be able to buy cellies, northwoods etc and S478 MB's ?

And what about Celerons themselves... any idea, clues, or even wild guesses on how long it's gonna take before they stop production for this socket ?

Thing is that i was designated to choose the new hardware for a new production line of servers that record images / movies from security camera's. Important thing is that we need a socket that's gonna hold up for a while.

SocketA AMD's are not an option, as these will disappear kind of soon...
Even though i'm not an Intel fanboy (i loves my axp, loves my axp ;) ), i figured that socket 478 would be the best choice, as these servers' main task is to encode and compress uncompressed images (in which P4/cellies are not bad, or am i mistaking ?).

Other choices could be S754 or even S939, bute my boss told me that these are out of the budget range, since cheaper intels would perform the same (read: would suffice ;) ) for encoding/compressing tasks.

Are there any other choices / combinations i didn't think of ?

Thans in advance, any comment is appreciated :toast:

Pomme :)

Charles Wirth
11-01-2004, 09:42 AM
Two more years left in socket 478. Many may disagree but current performance levels are more than enough for business desktop and even light production machines. The platform is proven and stable. To some extent P3's are still around.

You can get a very good deals on 865 chipset based mobos and mid range P4 processors.

Crankster
11-01-2004, 10:02 AM
Yes, indeed FUGGER. It's enough for a large part of the market, you don't always need to be the fastest.

Pomme
11-01-2004, 10:18 AM
Thanks for the fast replies :) couldn't agree more that one doesn't need an FX55 to write a letter in MS Word ;)

my question still stands tho, unless your answer implicated it of course ... :) will socket 478 cpu's/mobos still be fore sale for a reasonable amount of time (i doub that will be two years ? :/)

cheers,

Pomme

saaya
11-01-2004, 11:14 AM
im sure they will be available for 2 more years, you can still buy pentium 3 boards in a lot of shops :)

Siphilon
11-01-2004, 11:31 AM
im sure they will be available for 2 more years, you can still buy pentium 3 boards in a lot of shops :)

I agree. I still sell average P3 servers (tualatin) for over $1000. And the market for P3 systems is surviving. Companies are just now starting to phase out P3 workstations. I think 2 years is a safe prediction for the life of S478.

charlie
11-01-2004, 12:35 PM
I'm looking out for 3.2EE's at about $275.... my office rig is IC7-G + 2.66B......... will make areal nice upgrade :D

C

MrDave
11-05-2004, 01:13 AM
I just bought my 3.4E Prescott OEM CPU for $249.00 at Fry's. They had a sale and it was bundled with a POS 848 motherboard that I *tossed in the garbage!!! I actually paid $329 for the bare CPU a week earlier, but I was in Fry's 5 days later and saw the 2 day combo sale and had them price match me and give me the junk motherboard - LOL

*Well actually kept it incase I needed to return the CPU for any reason

I have an 865 PE motherboard. I don't overclock.
I also have Patriot Cas 2-3-2-5 T1 PC3200 Memory, in a Dual Channel Matched pair of 1 Gbyte. http://www.pdpsys.com/products/PDC1024350032002700LLK.pdf
This memory was $159.00 and a $20 dollar rebate! It has Infineon 5ns chips on Both sides under the heat Spreaders.

My Video is the ATI All In Wonder 9600 XT. I use this card for Video Capture and use the system to render Mpeg2 DVD's from Home captured video footage. I use Pinnacle Studio 9 for my Editing Software. I capture Video at Variable Bit rate 5.5 to 6 mbit/s MPEG2 with 100% Motion estimation.