PDA

View Full Version : need help: can't boot, even after reformatting

squeakygeek
10-30-2004, 03:21 PM
My power went out and when it came back on, right after the os selection screen I would get a plain text dos style message saying I had a hard disk configuration problem.

I tried reinstalling windows, and when windows tried to reboot to the partition, the same thing happened.

I tried again, telling windows installation to reformat using NTFS (not a quick format), but the same thing happened.

During all this, I could access the partition and copy files from it when I booted to a different os.

Please help!

edit: by the way, this is a partition on a lvl 0 array using a promise fastrack pci card.

Thanks.

jjcom
10-31-2004, 02:22 PM
I ran into a problem similar to yours...minus the power outage..but any way.. I installed SuSE 9.0 and it fixed my boot issues.

squeakygeek
10-31-2004, 05:48 PM
I ran into a problem similar to yours...minus the power outage..but any way.. I installed SuSE 9.0 and it fixed my boot issues.

What action do you suggest I take that would result in me running windows? Do you think if I installed SuSE, it would fix the problem, and then I could reformat and install windows? I've had a similiar problem in the past where all it took was a reformat, but this time a reformat doesn't work. I even deleted the partition and recreated it. I wouldn't think that installing a different os would make a difference.

jjcom
11-01-2004, 01:32 PM
I ran a dual boot system. Windows XP had something messed up with its boot loader thing. I just installed SuSE and it was told to setup Grub for dual booting.