PDA

View Full Version : nfsu 2 demo out

sky
10-27-2004, 12:09 PM
woot woot. to all those, that enjoyed the arcade racer (or should i say 'ricer') need for speed underground as much as i did, the new demo is out. and it really kicks some behind.
being a graphic whore and all, i gotta admit that there's some new stuff in the demo that puts all those new blingbling toys in your rig to good use. now you got rain-effects with spray on the camera lens, a somewhat improved nitro-effect (well, at least i think it is better than the 'old' one and keeps the game playable)... oh and there's a bunch of other new options in the graphics setup, some are real performance killer, while others just add a nice touch to the overall game.
one of the more significant changes in the game is that now you got drift races on the open road. no more parking garage ovals or eights. finally some real road-tracks. basically the same is true for the other races. you have a little more variation in the tracks - go select free ride and roam the streets. there's quite a bit to be seen in this demo and there's still much more locked out, judging by the see-through barriers put up at many corners... what really got me is that there seems to be a gamemode in the final, that allows to do stuff similar to midnight club 2, where you have to hit certain meeting areas to join in a race and all that. also it seems that you don't just tune your car in your dull garage anymore, but actually take it to a tuner (well that's the impression i got, dunno if it's true. i didn't follow the reports that much, been itching for the demo too darn much :D ).

hm another nice feature is the changing weather / ambient light setting. while driving a race, sometimes rain begins to pour and pass some more time driving around, the sky turns dark as dusk turns to night, etc

oh hey, and what my mate noticed when i downed the demo at work and had to try it out :) - the neon stuff under your car looks real hot on some cars - you'll see when browsing through them.

some words about the demo in general.
you get to choose between 4 cars, well basically variants of one car - nissan 350z, all with different body parts, etc.. besides that you get to race in 2 races (drift and quick race) plus you get a tour of the city (free ride).

linky:
download at gamershell (http://www.gamershell.com/download_7376.shtml)

good fun!

oh and something else. at work i've been running this in 1024 with v.everything (that was selectable for that card) enabled on my bigass :D p3 933 with gf2mx400 (or so). and it actually worked. not too fast, hell no, but it was somewhat playable - nothing i would call playable on my rigs at home, but hell, we had some fun while the boss was out :D. at home i got solid mid 50's fps on my 68gt xpm2600@2.5g running the game in 1280. just turn on the overshine (or something like that, did try the demo in german ;) ) and see the framerates almost drop to half of that (yeah!)...
can't wait for it to ship!

lalPOOO
10-27-2004, 04:22 PM
I got this. Its pretty good, I love just crusing around the streets at high speed. Graphics look sick on my x800, especcialy compared to playing the original on my geforce2mx400. The 3 different versions of the 350z you get to choose from look kind of crappy though.

I also think that the lanes are a bit too narrow, but I don't really know for sure.

EDIT: I think theres a problem with the in game AA function. It turned almost the entire screen black for me for some reason?

3rd-Dimension
10-27-2004, 05:21 PM
EDIT: I think theres a problem with the in game AA function. It turned almost the entire screen black for me for some reason?

same with my 9700 pro and 9800xt but not my 6800gt. Wonder whats up.

shrae
10-27-2004, 10:15 PM
Thanks for posting the review, I just finished downloading it from gamespy. Gonna give it a spin.

sky
10-27-2004, 11:43 PM
well i get the flicker on my 6800gt when changing graphic settings but that's just for half a second and then it's back to normal with everything as it should be.

3rd-Dimension
10-28-2004, 03:38 AM
well i get the flicker on my 6800gt when changing graphic settings but that's just for half a second and then it's back to normal with everything as it should be.

only happens on my radeons. my gt works perfectly.

KODE
10-28-2004, 05:58 AM
Thanx for the heads up sky, much appreciated! Thank you for the mini-review too, very nice m8 ;)

KODE.

Holst
10-28-2004, 06:24 AM
Thanks for the heads up, im downloading it now.

I had allot of fun with the first game, hopeully this will be just as good.

lalPOOO
10-28-2004, 01:57 PM
Anyone else get lights shining through stuff?

Like this?
I think its just old drivers or something, but I don't really know.

sky
10-31-2004, 02:12 AM
smallie update.
you can participate in race when doing the freeride / exploration thingy. i dunno what i put on "s", but everytime i drive up close to the back of another ricer - pardon, racer - and press "s" i'm in for a outrun race. the goal there is to stay with the other car and overtake him if possible (piece of cake) and then to put like 200m between you and that guy, that's when you won the race.
then there's the diner or stuff on the waterfront - the place where you race when you do a laprace, right where the first straight turns into a right. to the left of that shack is some shortcut and some neon sign hovering above the street. stop there and press that button - will check back and tell you what it is or what it stands for - and your in for a laprace. hm and some place on top of the city, up in the wood-area (that darker place), you have a similar place, where you can start the dragrace. once your finished with these races, you get teleported :D back to where you entered them.
also some shops can be entered using this same key. if you can't enter the shop, you get to see a small preview. inside the carshop you can switch cars, so you don't have to use this underpowered :) greenish slug, but can change to the silver, the red and the yellow (yuck) 350z - whatever pleases you. most other shops are more of a show of what will be available in the final. 2-part front hoods, gullwing doors, some different lights, window tints, blabla...

/drumroll... that magic keys is definend by "enter race/shop" in the control-settings, d0h! :)

hm little over two weeks to go if that ea posse sticks to the announced date. woot :)

thomas66
11-01-2004, 04:01 AM
hi sky,

just a short question you mentioned mc2 in yr first post..do you play the game "online" and if yes whats you name there.

sky
11-01-2004, 10:02 AM
hey, sorry but i don't play mc2 online, i think i never did, but then again i didn't like the driving physics back then and dropped it once i was halfway through (paris, london or whatever it was)... i got bored.
oh and my screenname for *any* game would be either sky, deepblue(2k...) or something utterly wacko :) like d-ranged or so...

Der_KHAN
11-02-2004, 05:49 AM
does anyone here use a steering wheel for this game?

i get a strange bug sometimes when i get hit by another car
the wheel starts to stutter and doesnt stop until i hit a wall at high speed

(usin a microsoft sidewinder ff wheel)

EDIT: could it be that its kinda slower than the first underground? (not about fps)

R.Rabbit
11-02-2004, 06:04 AM
:banana::banana::banana::banana:, i download the whole thing then it was corrupted so now im downloading it again! it just got to 30%... it better be worth the wait!

FlyingHamster
11-02-2004, 07:04 PM
the demo keeps crashin on me :(

rick_fx
11-02-2004, 10:07 PM
I'm having my share of problems with the demo too :(

sky
11-03-2004, 12:09 AM
what kind of problems? graphical glitches or stability issues?

jlccarv
11-27-2004, 01:55 AM
Anyone else get lights shining through stuff?

Like this?
I think its just old drivers or something, but I don't really know.

Yes, I do. Does anyone know the fix?

reject
11-27-2004, 07:22 AM
if you have the full game you can get the 1.1 update to fix it. i cant find asia pacific version tho :(

lalPOOO
11-27-2004, 07:49 AM
I get the lights shining through stuff. Try turning the in game AA on and off and up and down. Also, try playing with your AA settings. :)

sky
11-27-2004, 02:31 PM
funny thing worth mentioning.
i could play the demo a whole day at a time without it crashing, while the full game crashes somewhere in the range of 15mins - 8hrs (longest i experienced between two crashes). well it is not really a crash, at least most of the times. it just quits and shuts my pc down with windoze playing its shutdown tune (def. win setup). only very seldom does it actually shut down without playing anything, just off. strange stuff.

i tried loads of recent nvidia drivers, but to no avail. can't be the pc itself, because i can prime for 9hrs straight without a crash - everything watercooled, mosfets taken care of by a 80mm ys-tech fan at 7-12v. hl2 never ever crashed so far.. even after 8 hours (or so) at a time... strange stuff. same thing with splinter cell2 tho.. only games crashing like this...

Jupiler
11-27-2004, 02:56 PM
does anyone here use a steering wheel for this game?

i get a strange bug sometimes when i get hit by another car
the wheel starts to stutter and doesnt stop until i hit a wall at high speed

(usin a microsoft sidewinder ff wheel)

EDIT: could it be that its kinda slower than the first underground? (not about fps)

Yeah,
got the same problem with my TM F1 FF wheel. Wheel continues stuttering after I hit a car or wall.
Using keyboard now, works fine too.

FlyingHamster
11-27-2004, 03:42 PM
WOW

just from reading this page u can tell this game is terrible...

Der_KHAN
11-28-2004, 12:51 PM
no, actually the game is great.
best nfs game since high stakes I

but about that FF bug - that really sucks, i figured that the same bug already occured on nfsu I. weak they couldnt fix it by now.

Tube
11-30-2004, 05:49 PM
no, actually the game is great.
best nfs game since high stakes I

but about that FF bug - that really sucks, i figured that the same bug already occured on nfsu I. weak they couldnt fix it by now.

how can it be a great racing game when you can't use a FF wheel?! I know its meant to be arcadish, but still..

IamAnoobieCheez
11-30-2004, 07:56 PM
WOW

just from reading this page u can tell this game is terrible...
at first i thought this game is no good but i sure do like it... i don't know about the demo version but the full version seems to be doing great. I had to make my system *mega* stable. This game puts a lot of stress on the system and kept my backside of the mosfets run as hot as if I'm running prime95 constantly. Any semi-stable system will fail, even the "almost perfectly stable" system, guaranteed to fail. Video clocks has to be turned down as well, especially the core clock.

Now I enjoy playing this game and it screams.. :)

Der_KHAN
12-01-2004, 05:18 AM
how can it be a great racing game when you can't use a FF wheel?! I know its meant to be arcadish, but still..

i still use the ff wheel. its not like u cant play with that bug. its just a little annoying.
and if u get better and dont crash the bug will not occur anyway.

reject
12-01-2004, 07:22 AM
yeh, from 405/585 3dm05 clocks i have to use 400/560. fans on full anything less gets missing textures

lalPOOO
12-01-2004, 01:03 PM
I love this game :p: I can't stand some of the stupid rice crap though, like DOUBLE hood scoops... As if one wasn't enough :rolleyes:
Anyways, anyone able to beat this? It's done with a maxed out RX-7 dyno tuned, but no unique upgrades.

This game has been pretty stable for me.

Der_KHAN
12-01-2004, 02:49 PM
uh, which track is this?

sky
12-01-2004, 03:13 PM
that's the dyno track you get when you tune your car and do a testrun. almost 10sec straight.. dayum that is a really good time. guess i haven't gotten to sub 11 seconds yet :)

Der_KHAN
12-04-2004, 09:22 PM
I love this game :p: I can't stand some of the stupid rice crap though, like DOUBLE hood scoops... As if one wasn't enough :rolleyes:
Anyways, anyone able to beat this? It's done with a maxed out RX-7 dyno tuned, but no unique upgrades.

This game has been pretty stable for me.

ok, how did you do it?? just a lucky run or can you do it again?
me and some friends have been sitting here for hours now working on that time, but best we got was 10.11, average around 10.41

car was maxed rx-7 of course

(check out 0-60 1.51s :D)

[edit]: now i know. must have been us playing till 6am in the morning :D
i just got back to my own rig and got 10.05 right away
(did another one with roof cam so u see it really is an rx7)

lalPOOO
12-05-2004, 02:09 PM
It was a fairly lucky run, but I could do it again, and have some screenshots of other close scores. It was also possible because I changed when you have to change gears, making it easy to nail perfects every time. I'll get a couple screenshots of what I did.
I just went in, to get screenshots, and to make sure it was reproducable. I actually managed to beat my old record, 10:05 now :D and I didn't even nail every shift. The trick to it is pretty much blowing your nos at the VERY start, and being able to still shift the gears properly.

Der_KHAN
12-05-2004, 04:39 PM
im at 9.36 now.
start at 8k rpm, 6 perfect shifts and when you cross the finish line the engine is about to blow
i figured that using nos while shifting doesnt hurt perf, so i keep holding the button as soon as i get to the second gear

didnt think that the tuning mode could be so much fun :D

sky
12-05-2004, 07:34 PM
It was a fairly lucky run, but I could do it again, and have some screenshots of other close scores. It was also possible because I changed when you have to change gears, making it easy to nail perfects every time. I'll get a couple screenshots of what I did.
I just went in, to get screenshots, and to make sure it was reproducable. I actually managed to beat my old record, 10:05 now :D and I didn't even nail every shift. The trick to it is pretty much blowing your nos at the VERY start, and being able to still shift the gears properly.

i found it interesting that you could score such a fast time with that final gear ratio. i'd have expected it to seriously keep you back, good top speed, sure but accelaration? nah.. anyway. i think the sweetspot around top speed vs. accelaration is right about where der_khan has his final gear ratio set to.

one day i was fiddeling a bit with all those settings, and i noticed that at about that point your vmax actually went up, move the slider some more to the left and the vmax goes down for some time and further to the left it goes up again.. strange :)
but yea tuning is fun. also the suv's are starting to be more fun than anything. once i was able to pimp my navigator to max, i started solely using it - even for dragraces! and i've even won a few of those (on easy). just too bad that the navigator is such a pita at high speeds. it fishtails in every fast curve in a dragraces... but real fun!

AMITAGARWAL
12-19-2004, 05:25 PM
Need for speed underground 2 demo Playing error

I have a problem running need for speed underground 2 demo
i can see all menus and can change all the settings of need for speed underground 2 demo but when
i run the game i see only speedometer map and sms box and also how many points i have earn and
the positon of all players including me but all other things like background ,scenery and car
cannot be seen.
I mean when i run the game i cant see any car, background etc the screen is black for this.

i can hear sound and i also completed 1 race without able to see any road and car but why cant i
see car, background execpt speedometer map and sms box and also how many points i have earn and
the positon of all players including me

I have compaq presario 700 with 128 mb ram (16 mb shared)
Please see i can run need for speed hot pursuit 2 demo without any problems
Win xp

My 2nd computer is win 98, 600 pentium, 256 mb ram
when i ran speed2demo it says has performed illegal operation

Please help me

Please anybody can donate me their old graphics card that is useless to them .
Pci graphics card only as i dont have any agp slot
please

My email address is
amitagarwal02@yahoo.com and
amitagarwal02@gmail.com