PDA

View Full Version : RAID Not cooperating... HELP!

IanG
10-26-2004, 05:00 PM
Hello. I have bought a Promise FastTrak S150 TX4 off of a friend. I've got 2 80GB IDE Harddrives, and trying to put them in RAID0. I got them good according to Promise Array Manager. When I started off, I did a full low level format to both drives. Then I set up my array, Striped, 64k stripes. Everything is good. When booting up on the windows XP CD, I press F6 multiple times (I have a habit of that), and it goes on like a normal windows XP installation. According to everything, I now have a 149GB harddrive. Ok, so I'm happy. When I boot up, I install my chipset drivers, and then Promise Array Manager (PAM). I switch some settings that a RAID guru told me to do to get performance. Those didn't raise my speed.

Speeds:
www.pcpitstop.com - 26MB/s
HDTach: 59 MB/s

With a single drive, on www.pcpitstop.com, I get 53MB/s
On HDTach, I usually get around 80 MB/s

What am I doing wrong? I followed the instructions exactly. Could it be firmware? The serial numbers are different, but the model numbers of the harddrives are the same (WD800's). They also both have the same specs, 8.9MS Seek time, 7200RPM, 80GB, 8MB Buffer.

Only thing that is different is that one was bought last february, and one was bought in mid october. Could it be firmware?? What is it? :confused:

Thanks

IanG
10-27-2004, 12:18 PM
bump plz

saaya
10-27-2004, 12:37 PM
did you try the default stripe size? id recommend you to contact wd and promise and ask them about it.

maybe the raid card is defective?

IanG
10-27-2004, 12:39 PM
The default stripe size i believe is 64k...

Edit: Which I am using