PDA

View Full Version : Calling all RPG Fans!

Svenn
11-02-2002, 09:29 AM
Okay, this game is really old, but it's such a great game. A friend and I are thinking about starting playing again... and we're looking for some more people to join us for a small guild or so. This was the first MMORPG as far as I know of.
Thie Realm (http://www.realmserver.com)
I know the graphics aren't too great, but I played this game for a long time. It's awesome. Look past the graphics and look at the actual game. If you are an RPG fan and you haven't played it, it's a definite must. Post here if you are interested. The cost is $50/year. I'm trying to find out what's changed since I last played 3-4 years ago, and then I'm probably gonna re-activate my account.

Shade
11-02-2002, 01:05 PM
Sounds cool, So is it real time, what happens when your not playing, Will we all play together on certain nights? Just a few questions.

Svenn
11-02-2002, 01:09 PM
It's a MMORPG, the world is always on. When you aren't playing, other people are. You can play anytime and meet up with anyone playing. Only way I can relate is EverQuest, Ultima Online, or Asheron's Call... MMORPG... This is the first one...

Svenn
11-03-2002, 11:44 PM
This game is so awesome! Everyone needs to come and play!

Kurupt
11-04-2002, 12:16 AM
Sounds really koo.

Im going to download it once my bro gets off of CS.

Svenn
11-04-2002, 08:10 AM
w00t! I started again last night. Unfortunately since my account hadn't been active for so long, all of my characters were deleted :( Oh well, I kinda wanted to start over anyway. If you get in game, you can send me a /tell or a Magic Mail. My character's name is... Svenn. Ehehe.

Svenn
11-04-2002, 07:44 PM
You get it yet Kurupt?

IFMU
11-04-2002, 09:21 PM
Well, thought about giving it a shot... But Im not gonna buy a game if I dont know if Ill like or not. To bad, was willin to try! LoL....

Svenn
11-04-2002, 09:47 PM
You can do the $4.95/month deal! Almost like a demo... If you like it, keep paying $4.95/month or switch to $49.95/year...

IFMU
11-04-2002, 09:51 PM
ACK!!!!
And its a pay per month???!!!! Um.. sorry no freakin way!!!!!!!!!!!

That is one thing I REFUSE to do. I will not pay a monthly fee to play a game... gawd... Sorry guys, to each his own, but not for this bugger.... Aint gonna happen. The ONLY game I could even slightly see paying that kinda cash for, would be good ol' StarCraft.... even then, heh, wont happen! LoL

Svenn
11-04-2002, 09:54 PM
Monthly or yearly....
Gah, you've never played a MMORPG, have you? The monthly fee is necessary in order to run the game... It's not like any other game where you buy it and do what you want with it... You play online, on the servers that the company is paying to run, plus you get major updates regularly... That stuff isn't free... If everyone could just buy the game and play on the servers and never pay anything then the company would lose a lot of money.

IFMU
11-04-2002, 10:06 PM
Oh I know. Dont get me wrong. I highly understand why they have to charge a monthly fee. I do. I have TONS of buds around here that play EQ and what not. So I do see they have to pay the folks that update the software, have to pay for the server usage and what not.
But, no bloody way Im gonna pay for it! LoL... It all comes down to personal choice. And its not for me I gotta say! LoL
No offense meant man.

Svenn
11-04-2002, 10:13 PM
Bah, oh well. Personally, I find MMORPGs much more satisfying... enough to warrant the extra money... I started the Realm back in oh... 96 or 97. Moved from there to EQ, which I quickly realize sucked... then on to Asheron's Call, which I loved and played for 3 years. And here I am again, back at the Realm... The interaction is what I like... The friendships, guilds... it's great!

IFMU
11-04-2002, 10:18 PM
True, that is something I have to say that would make be try a game like that. However, the cost is to me just simply too much. Granted, 5 bucks a month is very minimal. It would stack up quick.
I am one of those, if its something I am putting that kind of money into, I have to "play test" it before hand. Im the same way with music, etc etc... Have to see if its worth my hard earned money before I will pay for it. Growing up and being a po' azz mo' fo' just gets yea that way...

Svenn
11-12-2002, 09:03 PM
Well, I had 2 friends over last night and we stayed up until the wee hours of the morning playing. I dragged down my p450 from upstairs and hooked it up to my hub so all three of us could play at the same time. It was a lot of fun. Com'n guys, the more the merrier... We'll even get you free stuff.

Kurupt
11-12-2002, 09:26 PM
I pay like $200 every four months to play DAOC alot of accounts to pay for.

Kurupt
11-12-2002, 09:27 PM
ok Im in seven... But I really didn't want to download it on my laptop. Hence I dont want to bug it out with stuff being the only system I have right now.. Besides this 100 pound paper weight next to me.

Kurupt
11-12-2002, 09:28 PM
would 4.95 really hurt you for one more ifmu "just to give the game a try" if soo let me know.. I will get you a month.

Svenn
11-12-2002, 09:30 PM
What's your character name? I'm Svenn in game.

Kurupt
11-12-2002, 09:33 PM
Im making it now

Svenn
11-13-2002, 01:24 PM
He likes it :) I think I'm gonna try and get all the people I know playing it together to make a guild. eheh.

TheGameGuru
11-18-2002, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by Svenn
Okay, this game is really old, but it's such a great game. A friend and I are thinking about starting playing again... and we're looking for some more people to join us for a small guild or so. This was the first MMORPG as far as I know of.

First MMORPG was Islands of Kesmai on Compuserve. Released in 1984. At the time we coughed up $6/hr to play at 300 baud. $12/hr if you chose to play at 1200 or 2400 baud!!! Talk about blazing speed :)

Monthly bills back then were around $500-600 a month for me...

Awesome game..lasted over 10 years.. nuked in favor of the horrible Legends of Kesmai which lasted all of a couple years before EQ came and nuked just about everything. Core Gameplay of IoK is basically still whats in EQ, DAoC, AC 1 and 2 et. al. sad to say. They just have way better graphics and interfaces.

Another old school MMORPG for those interested still around is

www.kingdomofdrakkar.com

Still alive and kicking.