PDA

View Full Version : P4 Prescott 2.8e or P4 Prescott 3.0e?

hakme2deth
10-23-2004, 09:08 AM
Looking to upgrade my P4 Northwood 3.06 533 to a P4 Prescott. 2.8 pr 3.0

Which should I go for?

My system is a Abit IS7 with Kingson HyperX 4000 Memory (seriously underused!) and is an aluminium case with 4 hard drives a DVD writer and a CD Writer. All powered by a Fortron Source 400watt PSU

I am currently using a Zalman 7000cu but will either buy a ThermalRight XP-120, ThermalRight XP-90, ThermalRight SLK-948U or a Coolermaster Aquagate.

Any idea which is the best overclocker given that I want to keep the system quite quiet?

Recommendations on the above coolers would also help.

Romaster
10-23-2004, 05:29 PM
I suggest a 2.8E..

the 14x multi will make somewhat of a difference compared to a 3.0E w/ 15x multiplier...

the heatsink you have probably wont scale you to 4ghz maybe 3.8ghz or so so I wouldnt worry about getting such high FSB's that you would need a high multi to keep up.. get a 2.8E, it will own a 3.0E at similar speeds obviously.. and it will run cooler as well due to less strain on the cpu multiplier count..

aquagate? thats a watercooling cooler.. I guess that would make it the best of your choices.. although i dont like kits..

I recommend an xp-90 overall.. a xp-120 while slightly better isnt worth it and in some cases wont be compatable for you.. the xp-90 is a fine heatsink and w/ a good 92mm fan you will be on fiya!.. I am ;) the 948U while made of copper is less C/W than a xp-90/120.. so I would assume it does worse than them.. and in reviews it is proven that it does worse.. by a bit.. I beleive the xp-90 is .14c/w the 948 is .15? and whats strange is the xp-90 weighs a bit more than the xp-120..

both weigh I think 3x0grams.. the 948 is like 560grams

hakme2deth
10-24-2004, 06:57 AM
Thanks Romaster.

I had thought the 2.8 would be the best choice, esecially to get the best out of the HyperX.

I agree the XP-90 would probably be the best for HS/F and reusable later in smaller cases, but the XP-90 would need a fast (and subsequently) noisy Fan.

so I guess I will get the Aquagate. I am choosing a kit because I want a quick solution that gives a good result. My next major project will be a custom picked solution.

been looking at the following...

SFF A64 Nforce4 PC (Shuttle for rear ICE radiator or BioStar iDEQ for tidy cables and good cooling of chipsets)
Custom Window Mods Side and Top
Watercooled using danger den blocks (1/2" with CPU and GPU x 2 if possible)
DangerDen DD12V-D4 pump (no relay required)
90 or 120mm Rad.

As there won't be a SFF A64 Nforce4 until next year, and the prospect of an SLI version later, this project won't be starting soon...

Thanks tho'

Romaster
10-24-2004, 07:29 AM
I agree the XP-90 would probably be the best for HS/F and reusable later in smaller cases, but the XP-90 would need a fast (and subsequently) noisy Fan... oh.. i was going to suggest my fan.. its an enermax 9fab somtin... 66cfm @ 37dba.. i can barely hear that..

gl with the aquagate.. how much is that kit cost?

hakme2deth
10-24-2004, 09:05 AM
I Have a YS-Tech 90mm (quite quiet) and a CoolerMaster 90mm (not as good)

The Coolermaster Aquagate II costs approx £150. Retails in the US for approx $200

Not a great performer and the similar priced koolance exos aluminium is probably better. But the aquagate is internal (takes 2 5.25" drive bays)

Coolermaster Aquagate (http://www.coolermaster.com/index.php?LT=english&Language_s=2&url_place=product&p_serial=ALC-U01&other_title=ALC-U01Aquagate)

Koolance Exos (http://www.koolance.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=28_41&products_id=89)

others

Thermaltake Aquarius III (http://www.thermaltake.com/watercooling/a1681.htm)

Marlowe
10-25-2004, 07:13 AM
I have an IS7-E (no mods), but I think they're about the same when it comes to oc'ing? Anyways I recently bought a 3,0E, replacing my 2,4C. Running two primes at 3,75 to 3,9 GHz makes the PWM temp rise very fast and it passed 110 degrees in AbitEQ once when I was testing.. the antarctica kept the cpu at a steady temperature all the time. Don't know if it's just my board or what :(

I get a P4C800-E Deluxe soon and hopefully it will be better at those speeds

Edit: I bench'ed some more last night and got the 3,0E stable at 3,9GHz. but had to put an adjustable 80mm enermax at full speed to blow at the capacitors/mosfets to keep the PWM temp from rising above 110 degrees. I would recommend some heatsinks on the mosfets! :) (it will be difficult, it's so tight on space)

Good luck!

hakme2deth
10-26-2004, 11:17 AM
Cheers Marlowe.

I also have an is7e (should have specified that)

well done on the 3.9. Funny thing is, I already hae some mosfet-sinks somewhere. Must dig them out...