PDA

View Full Version : Epox 8K9A2+ Vcore mod.

Jeff
11-01-2002, 06:55 PM
Since this board only allows setting the Vcore to 2.0v(which only applies 1.95v on my board), I thought maybe people would be interested in coming up with this mod.

The chip used on this board is the IRU3055(data sheet (http://www.irf.com/product-info/datasheets/data/iru3055.pdf)). Now I think the pin we need to work with is pin 3(Fb). This looks to be the same sort of setup as the 8KHA+ Vmod (http://www.ocinside.de/index_e.html?/html/workshop/enmic_8tcx_plus_ep8kha_vcore.html) located over at OCInside.com.

I think I'm on the right path... If I'm correct above, how do I know what value resistor to try? I see an 220k was used on the 8KHA+ but I don't have any idea if that will give me +.2v or +2v?

Like I said, if someone has any ideas, please do share. ;)

Hardass
11-01-2002, 07:37 PM
Sounds like a job for DDTUNG!:)

DDTUNG
11-01-2002, 10:41 PM
Doesn't look good. A quick read of the data sheets indicates that the FB pin is connected directly to the output, which necessitates cuttingg or unsoldering the pin or cutting the trace, then soldering a VR.

DDTUNG:cool:

Ace-a-Rue
11-20-2002, 07:50 PM
Ok, I looked at it and if I had this board, I would pay attention to page 4. FB looks like a overvoltage protection, a feedback to the amplifier. I would put a 100K pot there to keep that +15% (top of page 10) protection in check.

Now, slide down to explanations of D0, D1, D2, D3 & D4 all influence the output voltage (page 4). It says you can use a 10K resistor externally to raise the voltage from 3.3 to 5V. They might be talking about bypassing the internal source, not sure here.

So, I would try the 1st paragraph to keep overvoltage protection in check. My 2nd para is tricky so I would start with a 47K pot on D0 pin/leg and decrease resistance to see if that influences the Vcore at all. You will probably need to be around 10K would be my guess but all this is guessing.

If anything does go wrong, then most likely the video will blank out. In that case, just power down for 10 secs and then power back up.

I would attempt this. I don't think you will hurt anything but it is guess work! I guessed at finding my Vdimm mod for my MSI Duallie board. I guessed correctly without any PDF file and it worked.

Fewture
11-23-2002, 10:42 AM
Good topic. I have an XP1800+ Tbred on 1,97V also with an Epox 8K9A2 (no raid). I need more voltage. Running @ 2056Mhz @ 30C :( It's begging me for more :D Can do 2070Mhz stable with 1,97 (thats 2 in the bios). 2100Mhz is what i need, more is also good ofcourse :D

Edit: Ah..still gotta change my sig ;)

Changed ;)

Fewture
11-25-2002, 09:24 AM
I put 60K between pin 3 and ground. Nothing happens. I used 10K vr and 50K resistor. So 50K does nothing.
Wil try lower and see what hapens..

If anybody can say something usefull about this vmod please say it. There is nothing on the net about this and I'm an electronics n00b, but that won't stop me :cool:

Edit:
Doesn't seem to work. Had big trouble booting.. It's running now, bios seems to be screwed.. Runs stable though :banana:

Edit:
Ok, everything is ok now. Runs 100%, but no vmod! :mad: DDTUNG?? :rolleyes: Can you look at this once more? I can measure some things if that helps.. I really want this to work, but I don't know what to do..

Ace-a-Rue
11-25-2002, 02:51 PM
After looking at this again, I have to revise my thinking. Like DDTung said leg #3 (FB) is the output but it also monitors it self to not let an over voltage occur above +15%, which is described on page 10 of the data sheet.

I would try to influence leg #2 to see if that can do anything for you. I would try a very high pot like 200+ K.

If I had the board, my discovery would be hit or miss. You have to be a willing explorer, ready for the unknown and willing to do anything.

Good luck!

Fewture
11-25-2002, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by Ace-a-Rue
After looking at this again, I have to revise my thinking. Like DDTung said leg #3 (FB) is the output but it also monitors it self to not let an over voltage occur above +15%, which is described on page 10 of the data sheet.

I would try to influence leg #2 to see if that can do anything for you. I would try a very high pot like 200+ K.

If I had the board, my discovery would be hit or miss. You have to be a willing explorer, ready for the unknown and willing to do anything.

Good luck!
Well, I think I have showed I'm willing! Almost ruined the board. So what do I do? Get a pot of 500K? Solder it to pin 2? And turn it down, right?
Do nothing to pin3? Of should I solder somthing on there too? You are the brains here, I'm just crazy enough to do it. I won't hold you responsible, but I do want you to think..LOL :D

Tnx a lot m8!

Edit:
So pin 3 lets me go up to 15% over 2,00V? 2,00 is max on the board but i actually gives 1,95V. That would give me 2,24 and thats good enough. 2,2 would do in fact.
Am I correct?

Fewture
11-25-2002, 04:57 PM
Well, someone is helping me. I think we're getting somewhere. I could still use some input so we can crack this mod. It looks like I'm gonna try pin2.. I'll let ya know what happens.

(got a another pc here is case of death :P )

Ace-a-Rue
11-25-2002, 08:25 PM
Have you ever used SMD grabbers?

Fewture
11-26-2002, 01:57 AM
Have you ever used SMD grabbers?
No, I know what they are but I can't find them here. But I know a little shop that might have them.
But sms grabbers won't solve my problem. I can solder on the pins. They're small, but it's ok..

Edit:

I went as low as 15K on Pin 3. This almost fried the bios I think. I started hanging in the bios en a bit later i could not get into the bios. It locked during IDE drive detection.
Now another guy is saying that it should be pin 3. I'm sure you'll understand I wont try that again!

So this pin 2.. Any good at all? Should I go for it? Or do you guys have a better plan?

DDTUNG:
The cutting of pin 3. Would that work? Or are you not sure about that?

When going over 1,85V the voltage increases by 0,05 sinstead of 0,025 with every step. The max voltage that can be programmed is 1,85. So where do they get the extra 0,15? Or am I missing something here?

Edit:
Ok, I got SMD grabbers!

Ace-a-Rue
11-26-2002, 08:57 AM
Put the SMD grabber on pin #2 and a 200+K pot and see what happens. If no changes, then you can start lowering the resistance very, very slowly. Move it a small amount and let the puter catch up with that change.

The reason I suggest SMD grabber is to avoid the soldering screw-ups. Most of us are not real proficient at soldering very small jobs.

Fewture
11-26-2002, 12:56 PM
Put the SMD grabber on pin #2 and a 200+K pot and see what happens. If no changes, then you can start lowering the resistance very, very slowly. Move it a small amount and let the puter catch up with that change.

The reason I suggest SMD grabber is to avoid the soldering screw-ups. Most of us are not real proficient at soldering very small jobs.
Ok, I will do it.. Small soldering is no problem btw. Don't know much about electronics, but soldering is a piece of cake :D Don't ask me why..

Fewture
11-26-2002, 04:22 PM
250K pot makes the vcore go down. Only a little bit of turning had effect. Went from 1,52V whitout pot to 1,48 with pot @ 250K. I turned it a bit more (tiny bit), nothing...bit more...1,47..bit more.. 1,46...1,45...1,reboot :D Guesnig low voltage reboot..
Pot wasnt even turned half way. Wil measure the resistance later.

All other voltages stay normal btw. Could not use the smd grabbers. Pins are too close together.

What to do???

Ace-a-Rue
11-26-2002, 05:41 PM
What to do???

Question of the year!:) I wish I had an answer. Some boards are easier than others. It seems they are making it more difficult to allow us to o/c via mods. if that is the case, I am going to be very selective on board purchases. Actually, I stopped my impulse buying after the disasterous Asus P4T533 32 bit Rdram m/b.

Fewture
11-26-2002, 06:30 PM
Question of the year!:) I wish I had an answer. Some boards are easier than others. It seems they are making it more difficult to allow us to o/c via mods. if that is the case, I am going to be very selective on board purchases. Actually, I stopped my impulse buying after the disasterous Asus P4T533 32 bit Rdram m/b.
Well this mod is going to work!!

I measured between FB and Ground (pin 3 and 17) and it reads the vcore. When i go above 1,85 (DAC Max?) it still reads 1,85. So the mobo is vmodding already.
Any use this info??

Comon guys..we can do this... DDTUNG? Some words you would like to add? :D

I have 2 options.. a vmod or a §§§§ed board :p

KS1
11-27-2002, 01:43 AM
I hope this might help. Please see.
Theoretically, most voltage regulators have overvolt/undervolt protection circuit. They shutdown MOSFETs if the volt is under or over by a certain percentages. Furthermore, the max programmable volt is 1.85V.
Therefore, if you reach the max overvolt limit (as some new m/bs have already allowed for i.e. 2.0V), you need one more resistor to connect Vsense to GND.
Got to do it together FB-GND and Vsense-GND.

Fewture
11-27-2002, 04:27 AM
Look no further!! Got it! :banana:

If it works on higher voltage is stil something to test. Had the vcore on 1,65 and turned the pot. Went up to 1,85V.

Will see what happens on higher voltage. I'm very happy! Pin 3 and 17 are the pins. I used 250K and it starts working about halfway.

Do NOT use a fan connector as ground. This was my first try and the board didn't like it. Lockups and stuff. Another guy said this was because the ground wasn't clean, Pin 17 is.

Sorry about the F word mods :toast:

So Jeff...happy?? ;)

Jeff
11-27-2002, 08:58 AM
Yep. I just got home so I've missed your adventure. I'll probably get a 250k pot. this afternoon and try it this weekend.

GREAT WORK!!! :toast:

Fewture
11-27-2002, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by Jeff
Yep. I just got home so I've missed your adventure. I'll probably get a 250k pot. this afternoon and try it this weekend.

GREAT WORK!!! :toast:
Tnx m8 :toast:

Lemme know what you gain ok? I tried contacting you by PM btw..wanted to tell you my progress since you where looking for the mod. I'm guessing you kan do it with a 100K pot.

I went from 2050 rock stable to 2130 stable. But hight voltage is needed so I'll take it easy. Seen 2 Tbred's die on 2,2V @ 40C. Both on water. 1 died completely and the other one could not clock high anymore.

Be carefull turning the 250K pot!!! You have been warned! It flies up! Mine went from 1,5 to 1,85 with a slight twist. So a smaller pot or a resitor whit a pot would be better and more safe. I took 250K to be safe for trying..

Good luck!

Ace-a-Rue
11-27-2002, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by Fewture
Look no further!! Got it! :banana:

If it works on higher voltage is stil something to test. Had the vcore on 1,65 and turned the pot. Went up to 1,85V.

Will see what happens on higher voltage. I'm very happy! Pin 3 and 17 are the pins. I used 250K and it starts working about halfway.

Do NOT use a fan connector as ground. This was my first try and the board didn't like it. Lockups and stuff. Another guy said this was because the ground wasn't clean, Pin 17 is.

Sorry about the F word mods :toast:

So Jeff...happy?? ;)

So let me get it straight in my mind.

1st; can you or can you not use a SMD grabber with this set-up??

2nd; you ran a 200+K (250K) pot or resistor between leg/pin3 and ground, and then between leg/pin17 and ground. Is that correct?

3rd; how do you adjust the pots, simultaneously?? Or, do you do it from the bios, which I would think would be the best way once you have done the pre-setting on the pots?

Fewture
11-27-2002, 12:02 PM
So let me get it straight in my mind.

1st; can you or can you not use a SMD grabber with this set-up??

Impossible. Pins are way too close. I soldered 2 pins together as well. Argh!! :mad: I wasa bit shakey this morning. Do NOT try this if you are not experienced..you will ruin the board just like I almost did.
The SMD grabbers don't fit between the legs..

2nd; you ran a 200+K (250K) pot or resistor between leg/pin3 and ground, and then between leg/pin17 and ground. Is that correct?

No no no!!!! LOL! Hold it! :D I ran 250K between Pin 3 and 17. Thats it! Very simple! Just 1 pot.

3rd; how do you adjust the pots, simultaneously?? Or, do you do it from the bios, which I would think would be the best way once you have done the pre-setting on the pots?
See above. And yes I set it once and then leave it. Way too riscy to start fiddling with it. It's extremely sensitive.

Tomorrow (it's 20:57 here..) I will take the pot off and measure it for your pleasure. Then you buy the correct value and it won't be so sensitive.
I have a 100K and I'm hoping it wil go on. Hoping the resistance used is less than 100K that is. I think it is actually..

When I putt a pot between pin 3 and ground from a fan connector the board went nuts for some reason. I think I pushed it into the OVP. It would boot perfectly but after a while it went completely crazy. Started hanging in the bios and later the bios was just blue stripes! EEK! I thought it had died! After half an hour without the mod I pushed the button and it booted..luckily.. :D

RoydRage
11-27-2002, 08:07 PM
Since this board only allows setting the Vcore to 2.0v(which only applies 1.95v on my board), I thought maybe people would be interested in coming up with this mod.

Shoot..... I've only Got 1.93v !!! Need I little more.... Is this working reliably?

Damm, I only have a 50k pot, and it's a holiday... You know I'm almost @ 2.5GHz. On AIR...

Royd

Fewture
11-28-2002, 02:32 AM
Originally posted by RoydRage
Shoot..... I've only Got 1.93v !!! Need I little more.... Is this working reliably?

Damm, I only have a 50k pot, and it's a holiday... You know I'm almost @ 2.5GHz. On AIR...

Royd
Vcore is just as stable with pot as without pot. Sometimes you see swings in voltage on certain mobo's. I was told this is caused by a bad ground. On my KR7A I had huge voltage swings. I used a fan connector as ground...bad idea. When you use a ground of the chip it should be as stable as before.

On my KR7A it was real easy to solder. But this Epox board is quite hard. The pins are really small and very close together. It's doable though.

RoydRage
11-28-2002, 04:04 AM
Vcore is just as stable with pot as without pot. Sometimes you see swings in voltage on certain mobo's. I was told this is caused by a bad ground. On my KR7A I had huge voltage swings. I used a fan connector as ground...bad idea. When you use a ground of the chip it should be as stable as before.

On my KR7A it was real easy to solder. But this Epox board is quite hard. The pins are really small and very close together. It's doable though.

Hi,

What I really meant was the board stable with the mod....

Did you use a Magnifier light when you did the soldering... There are techniques that were developed dating way back to the Kt-7... For this soldering... I lot of us have gotten quite good at it.....

I have a 50k pot on had.... Did you get a chance to measure?

Thanks, Royd

Fewture
11-28-2002, 05:06 AM
Hi,

What I really meant was the board stable with the mod....

Ow ghehe :D The board is fine. No problems at all. Still maxed out on 2154Mhz :mad: That was my max on the KR7A as well. I was hoping the KR7A was unstable due to fsb limitations.
I pull 14K 3DMarks with this setup. Pretty happy with that.

Did you use a Magnifier light when you did the soldering... There are techniques that were developed dating way back to the Kt-7... For this soldering... I lot of us have gotten quite good at it.....

I have a 50k pot on had.... Did you get a chance to measure?

Thanks, Royd
I used nothing to do the soldering. Stupid, I know. I didn't have anything. But I pulled it off :toast:

Techniques? Tell me..

I put solder on the wire and on the pin. Then I put the wire against the pin and touch it with the iron. The iron is about 310 C. It had a little knob for the temp (Weller EC2002).
How do the chips cope with the temps while soldering. Is that something to be concerned about?
I will take the pot off now and see what it measures.

Edit:

Ok, I measured it and it read really low. 1K Ohm for a max of 2,2V with bios @ 2,00V ofcourse.
I couldn't see how far the pot was because of the metal shaft. I marked it with a marker now.

So a 5K pot would do. A 1K resistor is also good.
On 2,2V it reads a little over 1K. Say 1030 Ohms.. But I recommend you use a VR, That way you're safe and you can turn the vmod off if you want.

Jeff
11-28-2002, 06:34 AM
Great work Fewture! :toast:

Fewture
11-28-2002, 08:24 AM
Great work Fewture! :toast:

:rolleyes: :p

Tnx! :toast:

Jeff
11-28-2002, 08:27 AM
BTW, I've got a bunch of 900-2.1k resistors around here so I'll probably give it a go after getting my fill of Turkey this afternoon. :D I'll probably just put the 1k in since 2.2v is enough for me.

Again, :toast:!

RoydRage
11-28-2002, 08:47 AM
14K 3DMarks with this setup. Pretty happy with that.

I used nothing to do the soldering. Stupid, I know. I didn't have anything. But I pulled it off :toast:

Techniques? Tell me..

I put solder on the wire and on the pin. Then I put the wire against the pin and touch it with the iron. The iron is about 310 C. It had a little knob for the temp (Weller EC2002).
How do the chips cope with the temps while soldering. Is that something to be concerned about?
I will take the pot off now and see what it measures.

Edit:

Ok, I measured it and it read really low. 1K Ohm for a max of 2,2V with bios @ 2,00V ofcourse.
I couldn't see how far the pot was because of the metal shaft. I marked it with a marker now.

So a 5K pot would do. A 1K resistor is also good.
On 2,2V it reads a little over 1K. Say 1030 Ohms.. But I recommend you use a VR, That way you're safe and you can turn the vmod off if you want.

If you could do that with no magnifier you're better than me....

You did the right thing.. use a small wire, and twist it tight... Put a small bubble of solder on it. and then cut it.. So you have a small bell shaped piece of solder, and hold it to the pin, and just touch it till it melts.. Stay low near the board, and not so close to the chip.... And it should survive. <Edit... Didn't see you had C. for Iron Temps...

I like using a fixed resister, cause it can't drift, or get bumped working on the board. I also have a great assortment on hand so I could do it today... Are you sure about the value? You disconnected the pot correct?... It's just that 1k seems kinda low...

Thanks for your work! :)

Royd.... Oh.... 14k seems like a pretty could score I got 13k with this board and a faster OC then you... A stock Ti 4600 though...

Fewture
11-28-2002, 09:00 AM
If you could do that with no magnifier you're better than me....

You did the right thing.. use a small wire, and twist it tight... Put a small bubble of solder on it. and then cut it.. So you have a small bell shaped piece of solder, and hold it to the pin, and just touch it till it melts.. Stay low near the board, and not so close to the chip.... And it should survive. I use a higher temp to melt it quick... about 620F....

I like using a fixed resister, cause it can't drift, or get bumped working on the board. I also have a great assortment on hand so I could do it today... Are you sure about the value? You disconnected the pot correct?... It's just that 1k seems kinda low...

Thanks for your work! :)

Royd.... Oh.... 14k seems like a pretty could score I got 13k with this board and a faster OC then you... A stock Ti 4600 though...

Ok, what I did:

- Put vcore on 2,00V in bios
- Save changes
- Restart
- Enter bios
- Put on 2,2V with VR/Pot
- Shutdown
- Put mark on shaft and housing of pot in case of turning while disconnecting
- Disconnect pot
- Measure with Fluke
- 1030 Ohms
- Pot was almost turned all the way (wich is correct on a 250K pot)

http://www.fewture.cistron.nl/img/8K9Avmod.JPG
I figured maybe 10K VR is better and safer...

Any comments or tips??

Edit:

There is a typo in the image! OMG!! :D :D <--fixored..

RoydRage
11-28-2002, 09:34 AM
Ok Fewture,

I going to go with a 1k resister, and give it a shot...

I was going to go higher... cause being aircooled, I can't use 2.2v...

But I'm Getting a Prommy over the Holidays!:D :D

Royd

RoydRage
11-28-2002, 11:48 AM
Fewt...

Works Great... GOOD JOB!

It's very tough... The leads from the chip seen closer than I'm used to, I don't know how you did it w/o a magnifier. I almost fubared the board.

All Props Given on the Overclocking Forum.

Royd

Fewture
11-29-2002, 08:40 AM
Fewt...

Works Great... GOOD JOB!

It's very tough... The leads from the chip seen closer than I'm used to, I don't know how you did it w/o a magnifier. I almost fubared the board.

All Props Given on the Overclocking Forum.

Royd
Yes, they are quite small.. My KR7A is peanuts compared to this. I have this thing with jobs that require a steady hand :D I unlocked my 1600+ w/o a magnifier. Got it working the 2nd try :banana:

I'm very happy you got it working. So 1K gives you?? 2,2V? Of a bit more maybe?

RoydRage
11-29-2002, 09:31 AM
Fewture,

Yes Very Tuff... I have not taken it all the way up yet so I don't know the max... But I have 2.00v - @1.825... So it must be close... I'm Running 2484MHz 11.5 X 216... On Air. So I don't want to put the whip to it to I get a Prommy:D :D

Thanks, Royd

Jeff
12-18-2002, 05:01 PM
Damn that's a pretty hard solder job. ;)

I finally got two wires soldered to pins 3 and 17. I had about a 30-45 minute period where I had pins 1-3 soldered together. :( But after warming up my de-solderer, everything was ok. Did anybody mention these pins are way close? ;)

Now if I wouldn't have lost the 1k resistor I bought last week I'd be playing a bit tonight. ;) I guess I can wait 'til tomorrow.

Jeff
12-18-2002, 05:29 PM
Whoo-hoo!!! SUCCESS!!! :banana: :banana: :banana:

I ended up putting a couple 560 Ohm resistors together for ~1120 Ohms and with this resistance exactly 0.1v is added. I can now get at least 2.0v.

Again, great work Fewture!!! :toast:

Fewture
12-19-2002, 02:22 AM
Whoo-hoo!!! SUCCESS!!! :banana: :banana: :banana:

I ended up putting a couple 560Ohm resistors together for ~1120Ohms and with this resistance exactly 0.1v is added. I can now get at least 2.0v!!! YEAH, YEAH, YEAH!!! :D

Again, great work Fewture!!! :toast:

Yeehaw!! :D :D

:toast:

wEs
12-21-2002, 02:20 AM
nice thread...i'm planning to try vmodding my 8K9A, tell me exactly what i need to do, to get a max of 2.2v?
Just a 10K VR between pin 3 and 17 ?
what's better a 10K Variable Resistance or a 1K resistance?

Just another thing..it's needed a good solder iron? i have one there,a crappy solder iron 100w but i think that's too much, i'll try to get one from a friend, what happens if the solder connects other pins besides the 3 and the 17? dead board?

KS1
12-21-2002, 03:06 AM
wEs, Please re-check.
I think that 8K9A and 8K9A2(+) don't use the same regulator.
Find the IC datasheet to locate FB pin. Then connect a (variable) resistor from FB to Ground.
To learn more go to www.oc-inside.de

wEs
12-21-2002, 03:38 AM
huuuuumm i missed that! :rolleyes:
KS1 about oc-inside.de ..it's all in german! i like the german overclock sites, they use to have lots of pics and good modd stuff but it's very rare to find one in english!

well my mistake , ocinside is in english too :cool:

wEs
12-23-2002, 07:58 PM
i'm not so sure if the chip is the same, i didn't check today but i was looking at the pic of Fewture that indicates what we should do to mod the board and i remembered that in my board there was not only 1 chip, but 2!

I went on epox site to find the diferences and the boards are not so similar at that zone of the board:

8K9A (mine)
http://clientes.netvisao.pt/lrevesti/8k9a.jpg

8K9A2 (yours)
http://clientes.netvisao.pt/lrevesti/8k9a2.jpg

I hope that one of those chips on 8k9a be the same on 8k9a2!

KS1
12-24-2002, 12:51 AM
It's clear that 8K9A and A2(+) uses a different volt regulator (2 vs 3 phase). Look for the word HIPxxxx on your board. It should be the volt regulator of 8K9A. Then goto www.oc-inside.de and look for some m/b that use the same chip. Then you can begin modding.

wEs
12-25-2002, 02:11 PM
well i found out that the 2 chips on my board as KS1 thought were HIPXXXX chips.
The chips in question are the HIP6302CB and HIP 602BCB as you guys can see on the picture.

http://clientes.netvisao.pt/lrevesti/8k9a_vchips.jpg

I'm almost 99% sure that the vcore chip is the HIP6302, i looked at oc-inside.de and find out that several boards use HIPXXXX chips, as the Soyo Dragon (KT333) and Epox 8KTA3! To vmod the soyo dragon to obtain a max of 2.04v (1.85v on the bios) have to solder a 10K Resistor between pin 7 and 9 (ground). See the pic below:

http://www.oc-inside.de/assets/mainboard/vcore/soyo_sy_k7v_dragon_plus_red.jpg

The main problem is that they use the HIP6301 and 8K9A uses the HIP6302 that is probably a recent version of this chip.
My question is this, as i am afraid of trying this mod like it were a HIP6301, i wanna know if with a multimeter i can measure the voltage, by trying each pin of the chip until i find the voltage that i have selected in the bios. For example:
I turn my system on at default voltage (1.65v) and when i connect pin 7 to 9 i should get the vcore voltage if this chip works like the HIP6301 right?

wEs
12-25-2002, 04:08 PM
Ahaha i was looking for the chip specs at google when i found out that MSI KT3 ULTRA uses the same chip:

http://clientes.netvisao.pt/lrevesti/vchip.jpg

Here's the only vmod article that i found about MSI KT3:

http://www.mods4me.com/reviews.php?op=showcontent&id=16

To modify the CPU voltage you will need to modify the HIP6302 IC chip. This chip is not very common in boards today. It is nearly identical to it's big brother the HIP6301. I won't bore you by going into the details of the differences. The specs a just like the HIP6301. It is designed for controlling voltage in 25mV steps from 1.100v to 1.850v. Designed for and capable of are of course two different things. If it was meant to do 1.85v we know we can squeeze some more out of this baby! That's what being an overclocker is all about isn't it? Get every last bit out of this chip so you can get every last bit out of your CPU..

...you can use either an 18k resistor or a 50k pot. Although the pot allows more adjustments I prefer the more consistent voltage that you get with a resistor. EITHER works fine. For playing around and/or a temporary setup then I suggest a potentiometer. If you are looking for a more permanent setup then I would use a resistor.

...solder a wire to one side of your resistor or pot and the other side to pin 7 of the HIP6302. That little indentation that you see indicates pin 1. Use the diagram of the chip above to help guide you to which pin needs to be connected. Then connect one end of another wire to the other end of the resistor and then the other end to a ground. I prefer using the ground on the IC chip itself which is pin 9.

PS: HIP6302CB PDF (http://www.intersil.com/data/fn/fn4766.pdf)

KS1
12-26-2002, 01:49 AM
wEs, good. Now you can do the mod with confidence.
Please post the result (incl overcloking) when it's done.

sysfailur
12-28-2002, 01:23 AM
Just saw this thread. Wonderful. I will need this when I start playing with my 8K9A2+. ;)

hardwarephreak
01-02-2003, 10:47 PM
I love these forums!

Great work Fewture. This is exactly what I was looking for.

Damn good job.

Fewture
01-04-2003, 01:49 PM
Tnx guys ;)

Remember, my board was the 8K9A. A totally stripped 8K9A2+.

hardwarephreak
01-04-2003, 04:48 PM
Remember, my board was the 8K9A. A totally stripped 8K9A2+.

I could have sworn you said it was the 8K9A2? There were a few posts with wEs who was dicussing the differences between his board (8K9A) with yours (8K9A2).

I just want to make sure all is well before I go and fubar my board.

KS1
01-05-2003, 02:11 AM
I think Fewture meant HIS was 8K9A2 and not 8K9A2+, did not you Fewture?

Anyway, You can follow the mod guide corresponding to your m/b. Both of them are shown in this thread.

Fewture
01-06-2003, 02:53 AM
A bit confusion about the boards..

On my PCB is: 8K9A2

But I think mine is sold as a 8K9A. The 8K9A2 would have LAN onboard??? And the 2+ would have raid also..

But all this type stuff doesn't matter very much now does it? All that matters is the chip. So if you have a 8K9A but w/ a different chip i would NOT recommend soldering on it. I'm sorry about the confusion I might have caused.

What matters is the chip and not the board. Very simpel. :p

wEs
02-06-2003, 03:53 AM
8K9A vcore mod done! :D :D

see it:
http://clientes.netvisao.pt/lrevesti/vmod.jpg
:)

HIP6302 CHIP

10k resistor PIN 7 (FB) to PIN 9 (Ground)

but now comes the funniest thing, i've checked the kt3 mod at mods4me and they recommended a 18k to get 2.0v (1.85vbiosmax)
As i wanted a little more i've used a 15k resistor...after i soldered it i measured it and it read 10k this was certainly caused when i touched the resistor with the iron while was soldering! i was a little scared because i thought that it was gonna be too much voltage, when i plug the board and turn it on, only more 0.1v!! what the hell! This must be an OVP but how did the guys at mods4me got 2.0v?? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: i'm confused...

i checked the PDF again and searched for the OVP and it seems to be pin10 (VSEN) wich is connected directly to the vcore line
so what should i do now? cut it? :help:

http://www.intersil.com/data/fn/fn4766.pdf

Ace-a-Rue
02-06-2003, 07:14 AM
Where did you measure the voltage? If it was the bios, it could be inaccurate so measure at the mosfet.