PDA

View Full Version : NEW Swiftech pelti-air-hs/f????

charlie
10-31-2002, 09:09 PM
Hey guys,
Just saw on XTW site this new 226w tec version of their famous hs/f. AIR cooled 226 w tec...hhmmmm
1) With a big 80mm tornado, how cool would this run the avg. xp 1600-2200??
2) Why would you have to run their big stupid expensive power supply? Why nor a generic 250-300w version for $20??
3) I know it's noisy, but how well would something like this work??
4) Would it qualify as "air cooled" for the lists??
PLUS different subject, anyone seen a review for enermaxes new cs-5190 case????????? I can't find one...
c

TheDude
10-31-2002, 09:31 PM
Hi,

Mine should get here tomorrow. I will post results after I play with it some. From graphs I have seen, I expect temps in mid 30c range. I may try cheapo PS in addition to my regular pc one before spending $100 for dedicated one. I have a 80mm tornado for it.:D

fireandsmoke
10-31-2002, 11:10 PM
Dude,
Excellent, very curious to see how it does. Are you just going to hook it up to the red/black wires on one of the aux power leads on the psu??
???F&S

TheDude
11-01-2002, 12:59 AM
I was thinking of putting a 4pin connector on it and plugging the HS/pelt and the fan into 2nd PS so that if MOBO power cut off, fan would still cool pelt. Guess pelt might get pretty cool if there is no cpu power to heat it, but better than having it fry if fan was connected to board and lost power. Someone in here suggested using a pump switch to start both with a dedicated PS..probably good idea...but $ is kinda tight so I might try it this way. If I fubar mine you will know which way to go!:D

mdzcpa
11-01-2002, 04:18 AM
Swiftech does recommend the use of a relay to prevent disaster in the event of a system shut down. I also endorse this strongly as I have seen first hand what can happen without a relay...it's not pretty:)

Also, a 226 watt TEC is not only going to need a PSU with a strong 12 to 15v to run efficiently, the PSU needs to be tough enough to handle long term useage. I've seen at least a good handful of generic PSUs bite it after only a few weeks of trying to feed a 226w TEC. So what you are paying for with a good dedicated PSu is long term stability.

BTW, I should also have my review of the MCW462+T up shortly at Liquid Ninjas. I'll be running it using the relay and dedicated Meanwell PSU, as well as a generic PSU for comparision purposes.:)

Jeff
11-01-2002, 05:40 AM
Hey Dude, I think you may like it. ;) I've been running one for a couple days and feeding it with cool outside air, it runs 13C-18C while running SETI with an 18C-24C ambient.

I'm going to try and use it today without the duct to see what the temperatures are like. I have a feeling sub-ambient temps are not out of the question even without this duct.

Pretty neat really. :banana:

Oh yeah, I tried running this with an old industrial 0-20VDC power supply I have and it didn't really like it. The current draw went straight to max(above 15A) and you could just tell the poor guy didn't like what he was doing. ;) I now have it running on a Radio Shack 25A@13.8V supply that I turned down to 12.4V and it seems very happy.

Again, pretty neat. ;)

[edit]Here's a screen shot of it running Prime95...
http://www.adventurevision.com/somepictures/prime_on_air.gif

TheDude
11-01-2002, 06:53 AM
BTW, I should also have my review of the MCW462+T up shortly at Liquid Ninjas. I'll be running it using the relay and dedicated Meanwell PSU, as well as a generic PSU for comparision purposes.
mdzcpa

That will be great! You will link us to it?;)

Jeff

I'm off to radio shack, be dumb to lose my investment by being too cheap:D

TheDude
11-01-2002, 07:48 AM
Fedex just dropped it off, here's a quote from instructions:
"Using Molex type 4-pin power connectors to connect TEC to P/S is Strictly prohibited."
A plastic connector type device came included in the hardware.
It's a very impressive looking piece of hardware and heavy!
Probably be a couple of days before I get it running as I need to get a dedicated P/S 1st.:D

Jeff
11-01-2002, 07:57 AM
Also, I have the Vantec Tornado hooked up to the Radio Shack p/s just to make sure that when the TEC is on, the fan is on. Like mdzcpa said, you're probably in for a lot of hurtin' if the TEC is on without any cooling. :(

I'm also looking forward to his review just to see how he impliments the use of a relay. I want to be as safe as I possibly can. ;)

NorthernYankee
11-01-2002, 08:31 AM
You can see how te Relays are used in Mike's QuitePower Tec Upgrade article...here

http://www.liquidninjas.com/reviews.php?op=showcontent&id=20

Page 4 shows the installation of the relay. Enjoy Guys.

--NY

Jeff
11-01-2002, 09:11 AM
Thanks for the link! :toast: