PDA

View Full Version : Best cheap sound card

Peen
10-17-2004, 12:32 PM
I'm using the onboard crappy MSI sound, and once in awhile while playing FFXI it will just shut off. Not to mention when it does work the sound quality is poor imo. My question is , what's the best cheap sound card? Not looking for one the best, or most FPS. I want one with really good sound quality, and WORKS. I was thinking the Sound Blaster Live 5.1 or the Audigy2 ZS? how do these compare? the Audigy2 ZS is 3.5 times more, is the sound quality much much better? thanks

jjcom
10-17-2004, 04:22 PM
If your going for cheap yet still pretty good sound that take the SB Live 5.1 that should fit your needs

Peen
10-17-2004, 04:27 PM
hmmm got a SB Live. Sounds pretty similar to the onboard. Guess the onboard wasnt as bad as i thought? I had a really cheap ECS mobo downstairs and it had bad onboard, stuck a SB 16 and it was even night and day better. wasted money again

shrae
10-19-2004, 09:24 AM
Well the SB Live is a rather old soundcard, 16bit, etc. It should still be better than most onboard solutions (probably with the exception of Soundstorm) but not by much. I assume that the cutout problems are gone, anyway?

Generally for those looking for budget soundcards I recommend cheaper models using the VIA Envy chipset, such as the Chaintech AV710 (~$25) or the Hercules Fortissimo 3 (~$45). Going any higher than that and you get into the range of the lower Audigy2. The M-Audio Revolution 7.1 (~$75) also uses the VIA Envy is also in that <$100 segment.

Peen
10-19-2004, 11:33 AM
ya the sound cutting out problem is fixed thank god :D I guess thats worth the money. I had to test it for awhile to make sure it didnt cut out anymore

Romaster
10-19-2004, 12:19 PM
dont get an sb live plz.. its a horrible piece of junk and cant do 5.1 if i remeber right.. at least mine couldnt...

I eventually got a turtle beack santa cruz 5.1.... EXCELLENT SOUND CARD

slightly better than an audigy I'd say and most would agree...

it was $60 for a long time but now can be bought for around $40 or less :cool:

STEvil
10-27-2004, 11:05 PM
VIA Envy are supposed to be pretty good.