PDA

View Full Version : looking for a good chemicaly resistant sealant

Maelstrom2160
10-16-2004, 06:04 AM
my epoxy seals are breaking down basicly

The epoxy thats in contact with my water wetter/distiled water mix is breaking down. It's a low density, suposedly chemicaly resitant epoxy. I used it to make a few adapters for the radiator my water cooling rig uses. So atm im needing to put a second layer of sealant over the epoxy seals in these adapters, basicly there plastic stop caps with a hole cut in the middle with a brass hosetail dropped into the hole and epoxy sits between the sides of the holetail and the walls of the stop cap. All I need is a stable, chemicaly resistant barrier to the water wetter mix, would silicon putty (plumber putty) be a good enough barrier? Has anyone had a simerler experience or can ya share with me what epoxy or sealant you've used if it didnt have any adverse effects being in contact with your water wetter! mixture

saratoga
10-17-2004, 10:35 PM
Silicone works very well against this sort of thing.

I recommend Marine Goop specifically. Its a couple bucks at Home Depot in the states and it will not be degradded by watercooling aditives. I've personally ran it for 30 months in a WW/water loop and then a pure alcohol loop with no leaking whatsoever.