PDA

View Full Version : Linux

Smizack
02-25-2002, 11:52 AM
I've got an older computer I'm gonna put Linux on.
I just need to know should I go with Mandrake, or Redhat? And what's the differance?
I've heard Redhat is better, but not why it's better.

JBELL
02-25-2002, 12:59 PM
Mandrake IS Red hat but Red Hat is NOT Mandrake

The top dogs who created the beuaty known as Red Hat was upset with where it was going and went out again and wrote Mandrake - it can do every Red Hat can and a whole lot more.

depending on how OLD your rig I would go Mandrake first but I think if it is older than a 586 machine then go Red Hat.

Joe

Smizack
02-25-2002, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by JBell

What???

The top dogs who created the beuaty known as Red Hat was upset with where it was going and went out again and wrote Mandrake - it can do every Red Hat can and a whole lot more.

So, Mandrake is the one to use? And wich one? 7.?

depending on how OLD your rig I would go Mandrake first but I think if it is older than a 586 machine then go Red Hat.

Joe

It's an old p-II I got from work.

JBELL
02-25-2002, 01:14 PM
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What???

think of it this way...

Pentium // is a pentium

where as

Pentium is not a Pentium //

make sense???

pentium // - you 'SHOULD' be able to use Mandrake - which is the better one of choice! and I can give you a copy of it - I purchased the 3 disk set a while back for it.

Smizack
02-25-2002, 01:16 PM

think of it this way...

Pentium // is a pentium

where as

Pentium is not a Pentium //

make sense???

pentium // - you 'SHOULD' be able to use Mandrake - which is the better one of choice! and I can give you a copy of it - I purchased the 3 disk set a while back for it.

Ok, I got ya. So it's like a revised version. That would be kewl. Is the latest version 7?

JBELL
02-25-2002, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by Smizack

Ok, I got ya. So it's like a revised version. That would be kewl. Is the latest version 7?

No I have 8.1

Smizack
02-25-2002, 01:23 PM

No I have 8.1

Cool. I think it was 6 I used before. (Mabey that was Redhat 7 I was thinking of)...

Don't remember.

minoukat
03-11-2002, 08:57 PM
hey smizack, how much FSB you got on your 486 to get 2.5GHz ??? jk:D :cool: ;) :p :rolleyes:

JBELL
03-11-2002, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by minoukat
hey smizack, how much FSB you got on your 486 to get 2.5GHz ??? jk:D :cool: ;) :p :rolleyes:

he took the magnet off a blown subwoofer and wired it into his hamster cage and the magnetic sine waves somehow are dirupting the computer signals in perfect parrallel to allow such an overclock while maintianing normal temps! it is truly amasing and Ripley has been contacted.

Smizack
03-11-2002, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by minoukat

I think it's 173,285.02 But I could be off a little!:p

JBELL
03-11-2002, 09:13 PM

I think it's 173,285.02 But I could be off a little!:p

is the .02c YHO

Smizack
03-11-2002, 09:21 PM

he took the magnet off a blown subwoofer and wired it into his hamster cage and the magnetic sine waves somehow are dirupting the computer signals in perfect parrallel to allow such an overclock while maintianing normal temps! it is truly amasing and Ripley has been contacted.

Just remember: REMOVE THE HAMPSTER FIRST!

<sniff>
Even with all that cherry flavored wal-mart crack I was feeding it, the poor little guy just couldn't keep up.

:D

Smizack
03-11-2002, 09:22 PM

is the .02c YHO

Yeah. BTW, that Liquid nitrogen thing.... Naaaa.. I just say that to make it sound more believeable! I just use a ramsink. :p

JBELL
03-11-2002, 09:23 PM

Just remember: REMOVE THE HAMPSTER FIRST!

<sniff>
Even with all that cherry flavored wal-mart crack I was feeding it, the poor little guy just couldn't keep up.

:D

should gave him a mountain dew slurpee and I personally only use theorbred gerbils - they hold up better when overclocked..

not even richard geere can handle these bad boys!

Smizack
03-11-2002, 09:34 PM

should gave him a mountain dew slurpee and I personally only use theorbred gerbils - they hold up better when overclocked..

not even richard geere can handle these bad boys!

AAAAAAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!

No da F**k you didn't!

JBELL
03-11-2002, 09:35 PM

AAAAAAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!

No da F**k you didn't!

heeellll muthaf***kin' A I did booyyyeeeeeeeee

best be showing props up in this biznitch! LOL

Smizack
03-11-2002, 09:38 PM

heeellll muthaf***kin' A I did booyyyeeeeeeeee

best be showing props up in this biznitch! LOL

[True gangster]

You talkin' to me? Well you must me talkin' to me I don't see no one else around here talkin' to me.
Oh OH! Now I'm funny?? Funny how how am I funny? What I gotta funny nose? I talk funny? What the hell is so damn funny?

[/True ganster]

JBELL
03-11-2002, 09:43 PM

[True gangster]

You talkin' to me? Well you must me talkin' to me I don't see no one else around here talkin' to me.
Oh OH! Now I'm funny?? Funny how how am I funny? What I gotta funny nose? I talk funny? What the hell is so damn funny?

[/True ganster]

um ok I know this one!! oh oh HOOH OH!!!

your either Robert Deniro in TAXI DRIVER or your the tall skinny freak from DIGITAL UNDERGROUND!!

...tha humpty dance is the way to do the hump....

... and in 69 my nose will tickle your rear.

Smizack
03-11-2002, 10:03 PM

um ok I know this one!! oh oh HOOH OH!!!

your either Robert Deniro in TAXI DRIVER or your the tall skinny freak from DIGITAL UNDERGROUND!!

...tha humpty dance is the way to do the hump....

... and in 69 my nose will tickle your rear.

Hey fat girl are ya tickelish? Yeah I called ya fat look at me I'm skinny..

LMAO!!