PDA

View Full Version : Memory and voltage

septimus
10-30-2002, 09:26 PM
I keep hearing that DDR memory at voltages above 2.9V become damaged by the high voltage. I however see that many run their memory at voltages beyond 2.9V and do not know if the memory survives ;)

I just want to know, is running memory at 2.9V or above to get an overclocked system stablized safe? Would it be safe for 24/7 operation?

How about active cooling on the memory, would that make running higher volts safe? Like, perhaps a waterblock of some sort or heatsinks on the modules with a fan directing air across them.

N8
10-31-2002, 04:24 AM
Safe? Hard question to answer.

Have I done it for a while now w/o any failures? Yep :)

I ran my Crucial PC2100 @ 3.2v for a long long time and its still running today in a friend's PC. I ran my Sammy @ 3v for benching and it never flinched either. Now I was playin with my Corsair last night @ 3.2v and it seems to handle the voltage just fine :)

The Sammy didn't handle 3.2v...it would fail stress testing @ that voltage...so it really depends on ur memory :D

septimus
10-31-2002, 03:30 PM
Oh, its all about the quality of the memory? I'm just afraid that the memory will melt or something if I apply 3.2V onto the modules LOL. I'll see how far my sammy goes then :)